Version 0.17.8

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.17.8

Post by FactorioBot »

Bugfixes
  • Fixed modded multiplayer games would incorrectly show a mod-mismatch error (again). (66957)
  • Fixed queued GUIs didn't work correctly. (66963)
  • Fixed that terrain selectors other than 'elevation' messed with the water/island controls (66932)
  • Fixed PvP running on_init when it was already initialised. (66970)
  • Fixed that replacing an underground pipe by a pipe could cause fluid mixing in a special situation. (66888)
  • Fixed that upgrading entities with the upgrade planner would erase the last-user. (67019)
  • Fixed a crash in the update mods GUI.
  • Fixed incorrect styling in the update mods GUI in some cases.
  • Fixed crash when loading a save during a cutscene when following a unit. (67022)
We're having problems with our automatic updater at the moment, so please use Steam, or download the full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

Sente
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.8

Post by Sente »

Thanks for the quick bug fixes!

striepan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by striepan »

Auto updater is working now for me on Linux.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

striepan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 pm
Auto updater is working now for me on Linux.
Auto-updater say it's "no longer possible". Doesn't sound right. _Currently_ not possible, that would be fine.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

striepan meant that it no longer gives that error after you install 0.17.8. We will have to wait and see if it actually upgrades to 0.17.9. ;)

striepan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by striepan »

I meant that i finally was able to update from 17.7 to 17.8. Before it just showed me that it's up to date even when new versions were available from the website. I don't remember seeing any errors.

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

yop, updating worked from 17.7 to .8 on windows with the in-game updater

dRaMaTiC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dRaMaTiC »

A file download of 1,1 GB shouldn't be that painful but it is right now. Downloading with around 20kb/s -40kb/s instead of 2800kb/s is a hugh pain....

[Image

:? :shock: :o

Update: Now its up to 430kb/s ... yey

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

dRaMaTiC wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 pm
A file download of 1,1 GB shouldn't be that painful but it is right now. Downloading with around 20kb/s -40kb/s instead of 2800kb/s is a hugh pain....

[Image

:? :shock: :o

Update: Now its up to 430kb/s ... yey
I have noticed it does that shortly after update is posted. Wait a bit, reload page with link and download again. For me it was difference between few hundred kb/s to usual 20-30MB/s.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, I didn't even bother trying to start the game and use the auto-updater this time (which I should have)...
And since I've noticed it so quickly, my download was quite a bit slower than usual : from 15 seconds before to 20 minutes this time !
TOTALY INAKCEPTABBLE !!1 (/s)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to distribute the files as torrents? Then:

- The file is automatically split up (and re-assembled, you don't even notice it) into blocks of a few hundred kilobytes
- As soon as you got one block, you can start spreading it to others
- They can start spreading those to others, while you (by now) got the next few blocks to re-share
- Etc.

If you want to play with the concept, I built a sparsely connected mesh network simulator a few years ago that can visualize message propagation in torrent- and bitcoin-like networks (quickstart: press "Initialize nodes", then click any of the squares, you'll see a message (just some random character) starting to spread through the network (red nodes are ones that are uploading)).

Torrents have incredible scaling properties. The only downside, of course, is that you can't download it with most standard browsers, so it's usually offered alongside a web download.

FactorioBot wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:17 pm
We're having problems with our automatic updater at the moment
I see some positive reports above. Do you think it will be fixed soon? I'm curious what the problem is, binary diffing doesn't seem like something that would change from version to version. Might be nice to read about in FFF!

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

Plz reconsider fixing / make consistent: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66470

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

luc wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm
Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to distribute the files as torrents? Then:
Yeah, so some people can make a fortune with BTT ... or not :P

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

someone1337 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 pm
What's a BTT? If you mean BitTorrent Tracker, how would I use that to make a fortune?

fanky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fanky »

Thank you! 8-)

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

luc wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 pm
someone1337 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 pm
What's a BTT? If you mean BitTorrent Tracker, how would I use that to make a fortune?
Its BitTorrentToken: https://www.bittorrent.com/btt/ - some bitcoin knock-off, if you want... some people are joking that this cannot ever become lucrative ;)

Eiermann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Eiermann »

luc wrote:
Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to distribute the files as torrents?
Delivering the downloads with a CDN would be better / easier. Torrents have an negative image and some hosters for dedicated servers block traffic on specific ports unless you ask them to open the firewall for your ip-adress. Since factorio is hosting his servers in the aws-cloud it would be easier for everyone to just configure a cloudfront service.

Jake.Yde
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jake.Yde »

Eiermann wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:21 am
luc wrote:
Delivering the downloads with a CDN would be better / easier. Torrents have an negative image and some hosters for dedicated servers block traffic on specific ports unless you ask them to open the firewall for your ip-adress. Since factorio is hosting his servers in the aws-cloud it would be easier for everyone to just configure a cloudfront service.
Poppycock, Blizzard has used torrent patching for a long time now on some of its major releases. It has the uncanny ability to free up resources on file distribution and share the burden among its playerbase. The whole process can become exceedingly fast.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Jake.Yde wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:46 pm
Eiermann wrote:
luc wrote:
Poppycock, Blizzard has used torrent patching for a long time now on some of its major releases. It has the uncanny ability to free up resources on file distribution and share the burden among its playerbase. The whole process can become exceedingly fast.
You're comparing a pure torrent exe/zip download vs an integrated launcher. The first is simple to implement, but has many downsides. The second is advantageous, but requires precious development effort.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Eiermann wrote:
Delivering the downloads with a CDN would be better / easier.
They already to that as far as I can tell.
Eiermann wrote:
Torrents have an negative image
So let's use it for a legitimate purpose instead of just complaining that people think it's bad technology! Fun fact: Facebook uses (used?) it for distributing updates within their data center. It's awesome technology that, like anything, can be used for good and bad. If we treat it like it's bad, it's bad. If we treat it like using it badly is bad, then only using it badly is bad.
Eiermann wrote:
some hosters for dedicated servers block traffic on specific ports unless you ask them to open the firewall for your ip-adress.
  • That is not allowed under net neutrality in the EU,
  • whoever has such an ISP and doesn't care enough to complain or vote with their wallet will just have to use the existing solution,
  • torrent clients typically pick a random port and traffic is frequently encrypted with the infohash or something, blocking ports is not how your torrents stop working,
  • µTP is almost certainly better for the network than an HTTP download, if I may make an educated guess (I have some related work on the topic), so ISPs should be happy if people use something like Transmission or µTorrent with default settings!

Return to “Releases”