[One Line Suggestions]

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [One Line Suggestions]

Post by curiosity »

• Ability to see actual date and time on everything, and not just a vague "X Ys ago".
  • Ability to go to a specific page of a mod listing.
eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:51 pm
[*] Mod pack support (Planned for 0.17)
This has been implemented by now, at least to the extent the linked thread is concerned.

Jakzie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jakzie »

Ability to search for all the mods which use a specific mod as their dependency. Could be useful for mod developers to be able to see which mods use theirs as a dependency, but also regular players could use this to more easily find mods which overhaul, expand or just are definitely compatible with their favorite mods.

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

curiosity wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:51 pm
  • Ability to see actual date and time on everything, and not just a vague "X Ys ago".
relative datetimes on the mod portal now show the original utc timestamp on hover
Screenshot from 2022-09-22 18-56-27.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-22 18-56-27.png (43.39 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
bringing the oops to devops

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

• unify pages /user/username and /profile/mods (at least change the target of the link in the top right corner)
  • add /notifications/list and /licenses as tabs to /user/username
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:53 am
  • unify pages /user/username and /profile/mods (at least change the target of the link in the top right corner)
  • add /notifications/list and /licenses as tabs to /user/username
yeah with the recent additions the top right corner was in need of a redesign...which we just deployed 🎉

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Sorting / Search among My downloads
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Came across some behavior that may be optimize-able? data_final_final_i_swear/downloads takes a while to load, which, presumably, is because the dependencies are being parsed each time to determine which ones are visible. A short list could be baked / precalculated instead to avoid this?
I have mods! I guess!
Link

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

Honktown wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:23 am
Sorting / Search among My downloads
Already on my todo list ;)
Honktown wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:48 am
Came across some behavior that may be optimize-able? data_final_final_i_swear/downloads takes a while to load, which, presumably, is because the dependencies are being parsed each time to determine which ones are visible. A short list could be baked / precalculated instead to avoid this?
I think I'd rather just stop displaying dependencies when there's like >500 of them. Or is there a legit use-case to have so many dependencies visible when browsing?

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

vinzenz wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:34 am
I think I'd rather just stop displaying dependencies when there's like >500 of them. Or is there a legit use-case to have so many dependencies visible when browsing?
That does apply, though strictly speaking, in this case the optional hidden dependencies aren't showing. For a comparison number, SE shows 92... maybe the dependencies should be a dynamically loaded frame or separate page (with linking). How often will someone looking at the downloads *care* except when it's a "mod pack mod"? The only drawback I see is it's more clicking for someone strictly downloading mods through the portal pages. I imagine players only go to the download page when they intentionally download old versions - they have to be able to download from inside the game, anyway, already... And old versions won't show dependencies so it's not like seeing dependencies will help them in that case.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

Honktown wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:19 am
How often will someone looking at the downloads *care* except when it's a "mod pack mod"?
FWIW, most of the time I open the downloads page is to see dependencies. I won't mind it being a sibling tab to downloads, but I will mind if I have to load an additional page to get there.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Regarding dependencies: It's useful to see what other mods a mod depends on. As the mod names are links to the respective mod page, it's easy to use "Open in new tab" and check out those mods without trouble. However, sometimes a long list of dependencies may become a nuisance (e.g. when you just want to download an old version of a mod, or when making screenshots). So, how about making an expandable/collapsable "Dependencies" field? This way, the information would be available when needed, but users could decide to not show it -- without changing a general setting that applies to all mods.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”