Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.18.18

Post by Omnifarious »

Dutchy_Gamer wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 pm
Dear dev's,

Idk what u have done to the sound of the Personal Laser Defense, but in my ears it's horrible! I hope next patch there will be something fixed with that noise :).

Thanks in advance!
I have to agree. I really like all the new sounds (including the now very definitely audible and alerting alert sound). Sound levels could possibly be adjusted for some, though I kind of like that belts (especially yellow ones) are really quiet. The sounds of the laser turrets working is also nifty. But the laser firing sounds, not so much. The various gun firing noises are enough to make me give up on the weapon and artillery sounds mods I have.

I sort of wonder what a really powerful continuous laser sounds like. I would bet that it makes a loud crack sound when it first comes on and then doesn't sound like anything. I don't know that realism in this regard would make the game better though. :-)

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

"Roboports allow exporting both logistics and robot stats at the same time."

Now I can simplify my train outpost blueprint. >> Hurrray.
... and update all the stations. >> You cheeky bastards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you finaly add a memo text into the combinators? So when I come back to an old creation, (like an outpost train station) then I dont need to re-invent the wheel. Rather read descritption, what it does.
I can understand you are scared of offensive texts which might spread thru public bluprints, but a simple checkbox "Import b-print include user defined texts? (Warning, it is your own risk)" will get you out of trouble.

Thank you

pulzar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pulzar »

I don't know if Roboports have a new sound or are just louder... but, man, they give me a headache :(.. I can't stand being close to one for more than a few seconds.

slaved34ler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by slaved34ler »

As far as I can see, different people have different problems with sound. Some do not hear the sounds of transport belts at all (like me), for some they are too loud, and others have too loud roboports. I think the developers should somehow reset the sound settings or write us how to do it.

Durr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Durr »

I think the best solution would be to provide an "advanced" menu in the sound settings where people can fine-tune the volume for every sound in the game. But I don't see this happening as it would be a lot of work to please the small amount of people bothered by it, and may cause balancing issues.
Tired of manually backing up your saves? Check this out! -> Factorio Backup

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

I think the sounds as they are in the game right now are a bit to loud. Most of the time, I turn them off. My master volume is set at 4%. At this stage in development, I recommend some fine tuning, of the default sound volumes. I do not recommend a major overhaul of the GUI, interface, or the sounds themselves.

Hiladdar

_Shin_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _Shin_ »

based on the comments and personal experience, i think there is something strange going on with the sound.

I reset my sound settings in game to 100% for everything and I found the music very loud. I turned that down to 25%. In the pervious release I found roboports very annoying, in this release I can barely (if at all) hear them.

Belts are very quiet, but sound smoother, less squeaky.

My main takeaway here is that people are hearing different things loudly, or quietly.

ravenbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ravenbs »

Hi,

Love your updates, but the sound of the lasers is an absolutely noGo.
Was way better before.

Currently we play Warptorio and have a wall out of 250 Lasers.
250 times this glaring piping... only way is to turn off the sound...
Please help!

Love your game. Best game ever! (Hope this helps to fix the Sound ;)).

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

gGeorg wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:26 am
"Roboports allow exporting both logistics and robot stats at the same time."

Now I can simplify my train outpost blueprint. >> Hurrray.
... and update all the stations. >> You cheeky bastards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you finaly add a memo text into the combinators? So when I come back to an old creation, (like an outpost train station) then I dont need to re-invent the wheel. Rather read descritption, what it does.
I can understand you are scared of offensive texts which might spread thru public bluprints, but a simple checkbox "Import b-print include user defined texts? (Warning, it is your own risk)" will get you out of trouble.

Thank you
use attach-notes mod.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

ptx0 wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 pm
use attach-notes mod.
Last time I checked, you couldn't blueprint attached notes. Copy and paste from another entity was possible, though.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

_Shin_ wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:33 pm
My main takeaway here is that people are hearing different things loudly, or quietly.
Normally that should be an indicator of sounds that rely heavily on a narrow frequency spectrum or are too high/low pitched.
But as there was an increment of maximum concurrrent sounds that can be heard at once, maybe different people just have different amounts of things tightly clustered together...

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Pi-C wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:16 pm
ptx0 wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 pm
use attach-notes mod.
Last time I checked, you couldn't blueprint attached notes. Copy and paste from another entity was possible, though.
works for my servers :)

slaved34ler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by slaved34ler »

Oktokolo wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm
Normally that should be an indicator of sounds that rely heavily on a narrow frequency spectrum or are too high/low pitched.
But as there was an increment of maximum concurrrent sounds that can be heard at once, maybe different people just have different amounts of things tightly clustered together...
I don't hear transport belts even in the open field or in new game.

_Shin_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _Shin_ »

Oktokolo wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm
i was thinking along those lines. An example is where kids in schools use ring tones that teachers cannot hear (due to age).

There are so many other explanations though.

As you stated, different objects making sound in a specific area.

Different sound sensitivity.

Different speakers, which I actually think are the biggest issue. I'm listening on a macbook pro. Not the best sound system in the world. Some I'm sure are on very good surround sound systems, others on headphones. Some on stock/cheap desktop speakers. Each will have the ability to replicate different sounds better or worse than others.

CrystalPepsiBlue
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CrystalPepsiBlue »

Dear dev's,

Idk what u have done to the sound of the Personal Laser Defense, but in my ears it's horrible! I hope next patch there will be something fixed with that noise :).

Thanks in advance!
Is there a way to fix this? Any concentration of lasers is destructively high-pitched. It sounds like brakes on a train.

individuo_enlatado
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by individuo_enlatado »

Omnifarious wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:47 am

I sort of wonder what a really powerful continuous laser sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaShgVyz5U

This is one of the coolest laser weapon sounds I have seen in games. The opposite of the cliche "pewpewpew". This Wolfenstein laser weapon sounds like a goddamn death machine!

------------

I really like the new belt sounds, they are just too quiet indeed. I'd make it louder if I could.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

CrystalPepsiBlue wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:04 am
Dear dev's,

Thanks in advance!
Is there a way to fix this? Any concentration of lasers is destructively high-pitched. It sounds like brakes on a train.
I recall, like a year ago or more, I asked on a FFF thread for a different, more screechy, sound for the laser. I still think that the classic "bzzzzz" is too cartoony, and I like the direction of the new sound. Although I now understand how hard it must be to design a sound that sounds hurtful, but that doesn't actually hurt the player.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

individuo_enlatado wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 am
Omnifarious wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:47 am

I sort of wonder what a really powerful continuous laser sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaShgVyz5U

This is one of the coolest laser weapon sounds I have seen in games. The opposite of the cliche "pewpewpew". This Wolfenstein laser weapon sounds like a goddamn death machine!

------------

I really like the new belt sounds, they are just too quiet indeed. I'd make it louder if I could.
Actual laser fire : https://youtu.be/IzUoe-9bKa0?t=100

Its a shame, I really liked the old belt sounds. I can barely hear the new sounds. Is anyone in the Factorio office over 40? We do not all have perfect hearing like yougsters ;D

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

I'm in my thirties, have above average hearing according to my ear doctor, an can barely hear the new belt sounds!

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

More powerful Laser fire :D

https://youtu.be/W6FbUiiwutQ?t=969

Metal melts @17:50 :P

Return to β€œReleases”