Re: [0.17] Sea Block Pack 0.3.7

Post by jodokus31 »

Megatron wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:59 pm
ramyalexis wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:15 am
Megatron wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 pm
Is it still better to use electrolyzers (without the electrodes) than going with geodes?
I would miss the 'free' oxygen, hydrogen and water that comes with it.
It was never better to go the electrolyzers then geodes in normal game.
Or you are talking about marathone game ?
I'm talking about the normal game.
It always seemed a bit more compact and less of a hustle. power was never really a problem, and the benefit of not producing any o2, h2 or purified water extra makes it even easier.
but now, I would need double the electrolyzers. it seems just wrong.
I'm not sure, if electrolyzers might be better for mineral sludge with heavy beaconing and speed modules, because i imagine, its easier to fit more effect sources, than on the complicated geodes processing with its massive geode throughput. Of course more power consumption, but i think, UPS is more important at some point. When i'm there, i will test.

I think, it's better for overall balancing, that geodes are now much better for early/mid game. Before you could have just skipped them without major deficits. Geode processing is like a separate game inside seablock, it's very satisfying, if you manage to create a sustainable design :)

Hydrogen/Oxygen is another issue. I'm using electrolyzers for landfill, which produces a lot extra. I use it for sulfuric acid (oxygen) and plastic 1 (hydrogen), which needs extra CO2.
Alternatives: I'm usually going for on-site air filters for oxygen, if its reasonable. And syngas is pretty good source for hydrogen (via syngas -> H2 + Carbon Monoxide -> H2 + CO2), if you can use extra CO2 (I'm not that far to flare it)
F.e. I did a resin 2 plant (used for resin and fibreboards) mainly from syngas, which produces extra hydrogen and/or consumes extra CO2.

IMO Purified Water is most of the time better to get via water plant and ditch the saline water. Saline Water is easy once you have saline plants, so need to store it, if not needed right away.

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xng »

How do you start this mod pack? Sandbox, scenario etc? There's no scenario called Sea Block, but there's new scenarios without descriptions.

ramyalexis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ramyalexis »

xng wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 am
How do you start this mod pack? Sandbox, scenario etc? There's no scenario called Sea Block, but there's new scenarios without descriptions.
Install mods from the pack. And start new game without any configuration.
That is it.

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xng »

ramyalexis wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:47 am
Install mods from the pack. And start new game without any configuration.
That is it.
Thanks mate!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Megatron wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:59 pm
ramyalexis wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:15 am
Megatron wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 pm
Is it still better to use electrolyzers (without the electrodes) than going with geodes?
I would miss the 'free' oxygen, hydrogen and water that comes with it.
It was never better to go the electrolyzers then geodes in normal game.
Or you are talking about marathone game ?
I'm talking about the normal game.
It always seemed a bit more compact and less of a hustle. power was never really a problem, and the benefit of not producing any o2, h2 or purified water extra makes it even easier.
but now, I would need double the electrolyzers. it seems just wrong.
Geode processing has always bee more productive than electrolyzers. Now that is doubled. But you need Oxygen for the geode processing. So the answer is to do both.

Geode processing produces an excess of crushed stone which can be turned into landfill for a long time. But eventually you wan to turn that into sludge too.

WhiteEagle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WhiteEagle »

Hello,

I unpack the 0.3.7 pack in the destination folder. After starting a game without any modification to the setting, I don't seem to be able to get a lab: none in the inventory or "home" chest, not listed in crafting. The research for electromagnetism lab is unlocked but it doesn't list anything. It's a fresh Factorio install, only ran a vanilla game with it. Tried to delete and re-unpack the mods to no avail.

Did I miss something?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

The first few research are completed by you crafting stuff
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

WhiteEagle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WhiteEagle »

Ah, I see now!

Sorry and thank you :)

basoeckn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by basoeckn »

Is it intended that Seablock disables heavy mud washing in Washing Plants MK2? It used to work before and I can't find the change note describing it

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

basoeckn wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Is it intended that Seablock disables heavy mud washing in Washing Plants MK2? It used to work before and I can't find the change note describing it
Sounds like something is screwed up with mod settings or such. Or maybe you got a fluid mixing pipe somewhere? In my experience washing plant mk2 should work like mk1 with same recipes unless i miss something. You can also check FNEI mod, if the recipe is enabled for both washing plants.

Henduluin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Henduluin »

Heya!

Looking forward to trying this out, but one quick question before jumping in: I noticed that in the Mod Settings, the "No Bob's Mods Compatibility" option under Space Extension is enabled, which seems counter-intuitive.

Is this intended?

NacNud
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NacNud »

Trying SeaBlock again, the last time I played it green algae required the mineralized water and co2 from the very beginning. Now green algae 1 just needs water, while green algae 2 needs them. While green algae 2 is faster and produces twice the algae from what I can tell the mineralized water requirement, and the electriclizers needed mean that green algae 1 is more power efficient, granted takes much more space and buildings, than green algae 2.

I’m still early and only in red science so it might be a tech issue I’m missing. I know that later I could use byproducts to get mineralized water but I prefer to build power as stand alone as possible.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Don't use algae for power.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

NacNud wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 am
Trying SeaBlock again, the last time I played it green algae required the mineralized water and co2 from the very beginning. Now green algae 1 just needs water, while green algae 2 needs them. While green algae 2 is faster and produces twice the algae from what I can tell the mineralized water requirement, and the electriclizers needed mean that green algae 1 is more power efficient, granted takes much more space and buildings, than green algae 2.

I’m still early and only in red science so it might be a tech issue I’m missing. I know that later I could use byproducts to get mineralized water but I prefer to build power as stand alone as possible.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Algae1 is very good for early scaling, if you have not much tech.
There are some researches to buff algae power. First obvious one is charcoal. Charcoal pellets later and higher tier electrolysers for more power efficiency.
The byproduct usage is important, that algae2 gets a bit better. Little from mineral sludge processing, but geode processing with crushing has a big surplus of crushed stone, which could be used for it. You can also just crush geodes and take only the crushed stone from it. The crystal dust can be stored for later or destroyed.
algae2 is a bit less efficient if you create crushed stone with electrolyzers, but at some point, you have to decide, if landfill and space is more valuable, because algae1 gets pretty large.

All in all, algae is not so great for power, but pretty much the only option in the beginning. Wind turbines, idk
For mid/endgame, power from farming is a lot better (esp. elendilomone, quillnoa), which opens a whole lot of new possibilities. Arboretums used to be better, but now its not really that good.
Henduluin wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:40 am
Heya!

Looking forward to trying this out, but one quick question before jumping in: I noticed that in the Mod Settings, the "No Bob's Mods Compatibility" option under Space Extension is enabled, which seems counter-intuitive.

Is this intended?
In my installation, its disabled. I don't know, what's the default

randomdude
Inserter
Inserter

Post by randomdude »

NacNud wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 am
Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Pretty much spot on. In reality, resource cost/net kW of algae I and algae II is practically the same, so doing algae I is easier (and only option at the start, since algae II requires a research).

Later on, when you reach geodes - kinda a priority since the electro nerf, algae II from the crushing stone by crushing geodes increase the net output from 250kw/farm to 800kw/farm, which is more or less the same than arbs nowadays

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 am
Arboretums used to be better, but now its not really that good.
I used to rush for arboretum tech, but in my recent game I did the calculations after getting there and.. it's pretty much the same power / KW invested as green algae 1. The only advantage over green algae is in taking less space, but it's so much more complex, i think just expanding green algae is a valid choice.

Arboretums are better used for making wooden boards for electronics now - though the latter recipes does make a lot of power in little space.

Henduluin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Henduluin »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 am
In my installation, its disabled. I don't know, what's the default
That is... worrying. I really don't want to put in 2-300 hours, only to find the endgame is completely borked.

Anyone else know what the deal is here?

gf4918
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

load error v 0.17.79

Post by gf4918 »

load error v 0.17.79 data update lua 626 attempt to index field "?" a nil value help please

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

Are the mods in the downloadable seablock pack modified from their normal distributions at all? It wasn’t clear to me from the thread if I will get the same experience by just downloading the mods from the mod window vs downloading the zip from the first post. If the zip is just time stamping a compatible set of mods, then great. But if the mods are modified, then normal download will of course not have the modified mods.

Thanks

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

evandy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm
Are the mods in the downloadable seablock pack modified from their normal distributions at all? It wasn’t clear to me from the thread if I will get the same experience by just downloading the mods from the mod window vs downloading the zip from the first post. If the zip is just time stamping a compatible set of mods, then great. But if the mods are modified, then normal download will of course not have the modified mods.

Thanks
No. The files aren't modified. Downloading the zip is just convenient.

Return to “Mods”