Description: Lots of water.
License: Modpack, refer to individual mods for each license
Version: 0.4.10
Release: 2017-04-05
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 1.0.0
Category: ModPack
Tags: Free
Download-Url: SeaBlockPack_0.4.10.zip

This modpack alters terrain generation so that everywhere except the starting block is water. You are given just enough starting items to create a small factory that extracts resources from the sea, and must grow from your single tile to a sprawling factory capable of building the SpaceMod FTL starship.

Hints
  • The default factorio key to increase landfill size is numpad+
  • Press ctrl + E to open the Factorio NEI interface. Left clicking an item in FNEI shows the recipes that produce the item, right clicking shows recipes that consume the item.
  • The KS_Power diesel generator and bobpower's fluid generators can both generate electricity directly from liquid fuel. The available fuels are currently methane, fuel oil, naphtha or diesel.
  • Maybe more hints to come, but figuring out the production sequence is part of the gameplay, so no spoilers for now.
Update 2020-8-18, version 0.4.10:
  • Bugfix for disable_crashsite crash.
Update 2020-8-18, version 0.4.9:
  • Update mods to latest versions.
  • Factorio 1.0 fixes
Picture
seablock4.jpg
seablock4.jpg (259.15 KiB) Viewed 278917 times
Installation
Download SeaBlockPack_0.4.10.zip. Unzip into your factorio mods directory. Your factorio mods directory is %appdata%/factorio/mods (windows), ~/.factorio/mods (linux) or ~/Library/Application Support/factorio/mods (MacOS).
Alternatively, download the correct version of each mod from the mod portal and place in your mods directory. Versions and links are listed in Mod List, below.

Youtube
If you'd rather watch someone else play the game then here are some youtube play throughs. Some of these players have added extra mods beyond what's included in the pack, so check the video descriptions for more details.
Nilaus 0.15, 0.16 playthrough
Zisteau
BroMasterFlex
rain9441
Changes
Licenses
Last edited by Trainwreck on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 48 times in total.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.14.22] Sea Block Pack

Post by nagapito »

Minecraft Void World for Factorio!

Loved it!!

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Anyone feel like writing a startup sequence for the terminally lazy (like me)? I laid out a square of land, put the solar/accus down, made some coal, made crushed stone and algae for wood but kind of lost interest there. Should we make a bigger bit of land first or start heading towards ores? With no metals and thus no inserters it seems like a fair old manual slog.

boksiora
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boksiora »

you can add this mod to the game also https://mods.factorio.com/mods/FuzzCat927/quarry

Gully
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gully »

Ratzap wrote:Anyone feel like writing a startup sequence for the terminally lazy (like me)? I laid out a square of land, put the solar/accus down, made some coal, made crushed stone and algae for wood but kind of lost interest there. Should we make a bigger bit of land first or start heading towards ores? With no metals and thus no inserters it seems like a fair old manual slog.
Hmm. On one hand, figuring out the sequence how to get ores is part of the fun. On the other hand, it can be frustrating :)

I'll put some tips in a spoiler.
- Yes, you do want to produce landfill first. Luckily, the production chain is simple. Offshore pump -> Electrolyser -> (burner) Ore Crusher. This produces hydrogen and oxygen (dump them into flares), and Crushed Stone. Crushed stone can be handcrafted into landfill. You can almost never have too many crushed stones.
- You have a lot of Wood pellets at the start. They make great fuel, and the chain to make more is not too complicated. Just use it.
- You need some algae farming. Brown algae from saline water, which can be "upgraded" to green algae with mineralized water. This also requires Crushed Stones. From green algae, you can make all sorts of fuel.
- The only way to get ores is be crystallizing Mineral Sludge. You need to filter slag slurry for this, and the filter has to be remade regularly with coal. Luckily, your Wood Pellets can be smelted into Coal.
- Getting slag slurry is a bit tricky, you need Sulfuric Acid. But how to get the sulfur? Cleaning Coal to coke will give some sulfuric water as byproduct.
- Once you have all this, you can very slowly make ores. Spend the first ones on inserters, since until now you have to manual-insert many things.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Gully wrote:
Ratzap wrote:Anyone feel like writing a startup sequence for the terminally lazy (like me)? I laid out a square of land, put the solar/accus down, made some coal, made crushed stone and algae for wood but kind of lost interest there. Should we make a bigger bit of land first or start heading towards ores? With no metals and thus no inserters it seems like a fair old manual slog.
Hmm. On one hand, figuring out the sequence how to get ores is part of the fun. On the other hand, it can be frustrating :)

- Yes, you do want to produce landfill first. Luckily, the production chain is simple. Offshore pump -> Electrolyser -> (burner) Ore Crusher. This produces hydrogen and oxygen (dump them into flares), and Crushed Stone. Crushed stone can be handcrafted into landfill. You can almost never have too many crushed stones.
- You have a lot of Wood pellets at the start. They make great fuel, and the chain to make more is not too complicated. Just use it.
- You need some algae farming. Brown algae from saline water, which can be "upgraded" to green algae with mineralized water. This also requires Crushed Stones. From green algae, you can make all sorts of fuel.
- The only way to get ores is be crystallizing Mineral Sludge. You need to filter slag slurry for this, and the filter has to be remade regularly with coal. Luckily, your Wood Pellets can be smelted into Coal.
- Getting slag slurry is a bit tricky, you need Sulfuric Acid. But how to get the sulfur? Cleaning Coal to coke will give some sulfuric water as byproduct.
- Once you have all this, you can very slowly make ores. Spend the first ones on inserters, since until now you have to manual-insert many things.
Brown algae to green is very inefficient.
If you convert wood bricks to coal and use coal to produce dioxide carbon for green algae, you actually produce more wood then you use to make the coal. If I am not wrong, 3 times more wood then used.

blues
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.14.22] Sea Block Pack 0.0.3

Post by blues »

I tried many times, but Mega download is always fail. Could someone upload the pack to other place.

Gully
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gully »

the Mod Portal is sometimes slow. You can use this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ir93kdcpjl5d ... vIDOa?dl=0

It also has the mod "Bottleneck", which is a convenience mod I use. Should be pretty easy to find and delete if you don't want that :)

@nagapito thanks! Not sure if my version even yielded any energy (fuel value)...

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Gully wrote:

Thanks, I worked it out looking at it last night but decided it seemed less interesting than watching paint dry. The idea is ok but hour(s) of manual work is not my way of having fun in factorio.

Taratsamura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Taratsamura »

This is awesome!
Already played it through with Bobsmod and half way with Angel+Bobsmod, but this is much better than everything before :D (I'm not missing the Alien attacks^^)
could it be, that steam engines are worth nothing? i think it costs much more energie to produce fuel than a steam engine produce energie.

blues
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by blues »

Gully wrote:the Mod Portal is sometimes slow. You can use this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ir93kdcpjl5d ... vIDOa?dl=0

It also has the mod "Bottleneck", which is a convenience mod I use. Should be pretty easy to find and delete if you don't want that :)

@nagapito thanks! Not sure if my version even yielded any energy (fuel value)...
@Gully thank you!

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Taratsamura wrote:This is awesome!
Already played it through with Bobsmod and half way with Angel+Bobsmod, but this is much better than everything before :D (I'm not missing the Alien attacks^^)
could it be, that steam engines are worth nothing? i think it costs much more energie to produce fuel than a steam engine produce energie.
Do you have any suggestion for power then?
Coz the initial solar panels cant do that much... They even dont give enough juice to run all the initial machines!

So, you will have to use steam engines... The wood brick production can produce slightly more then its used so, slowly you can get some wood bricks for the steam engines.

But maybe a 5th initial chemical plant might not be a bad idea. The chemical plant is quite expensive and requires a lot of research and infrastructure until you can build a new one and only one for cellulose fiber makes the production of energy a very slow process
edit: I am so dumb....

Taratsamura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Taratsamura »

nagapito wrote:
Coz the initial solar panels cant do that much... They even dont give enough juice to run all the initial machines!

So, you will have to use steam engines... The wood brick production can produce slightly more then its used so, slowly you can get some wood bricks for the steam engines.

But maybe a 5th initial chemical plant might not be a bad idea. The chemical plant is quite expensive and requires a lot of research and infrastructure until you can build a new one and only one for cellulose fiber makes the production of energy a very slow process

Well, i played with blackouts every night, and solar panels always on their limits, and focust on researching solar panels. it was a little pain, because of the slow progress, but i finaly have my new solar panels and its getting better and better now.^^

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Taratsamura wrote:
nagapito wrote:

Well, i played with blackouts every night, and solar panels always on their limits, and focust on researching solar panels. it was a little pain, because of the slow progress, but i finaly have my new solar panels and its getting better and better now.^^
Blackouts at night? I cant even have the full factory running at 100% during the day!!!

On a different topic... Am I missing something or the only way to get coal and wooden boards(until synthetic wood) is with algae?
The bio angels system was not designed to support a factory, its more like a complement. To produce 400 carbon per minute , which is not that much at all, only 3 liquefiers when I usually go with 8, I will require 26 algae farms. It gets slight better with MK2 (17) and only acceptable with modules but that is a long way away!

And this is only for carbon. Then there is coal required for all the oil/chemicals....

I cant build a big base if it will requires hundreds and hundreds of algae farms! Well, I can but........ 47% of base algae farms, other 47% solar plants to power it and 6% the actual base its not that funny!
Unless I am supposed to only build the necessary to launch a rocket instead of building a big factory but then, where is the fun in that?

Wood or coal production needs a boost, a huge boost so it can be produced in acceptable factory numbers instead of dozens of farms and other dozens of assemblers just to make a couple wood bricks!
For some players, it might seem ok, since they dont mind building with the bare essential as long it gives them what they need but others (I would say a good majority) like to big build.

Just my current 2 cents

blues
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by blues »

nagapito wrote:

I used 22 farms to support 24 steam engine full speed operate, and it also have some wood bricks left to produce coals.

Taratsamura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Taratsamura »

nagapito wrote:
Taratsamura wrote:
nagapito wrote:

Blackouts at night? I cant even have the full factory running at 100% during the day!!!

On a different topic... Am I missing something or the only way to get coal and wooden boards(until synthetic wood) is with algae?
The bio angels system was not designed to support a factory, its more like a complement. To produce 400 carbon per minute , which is not that much at all, only 3 liquefiers when I usually go with 8, I will require 26 algae farms. It gets slight better with MK2 (17) and only acceptable with modules but that is a long way away!

And this is only for carbon. Then there is coal required for all the oil/chemicals....

I cant build a big base if it will requires hundreds and hundreds of algae farms! Well, I can but........ 47% of base algae farms, other 47% solar plants to power it and 6% the actual base its not that funny!
Unless I am supposed to only build the necessary to launch a rocket instead of building a big factory but then, where is the fun in that?

Wood or coal production needs a boost, a huge boost so it can be produced in acceptable factory numbers instead of dozens of farms and other dozens of assemblers just to make a couple wood bricks!
For some players, it might seem ok, since they dont mind building with the bare essential as long it gives them what they need but others (I would say a good majority) like to big build.

Just my current 2 cents
I like it as it is, but there are a few small things i would change, but that's another topic.

to your wood problem, if you really desperate for wood there are greenhouse mods which provide you with wood in exchange for water. bobs greenhouse is useless though, since you need wood to start the greenhouse. (saplings)
and there is a charcoal mod as well, which can turn your wood into coal.
i personally try it as it is.

Taratsamura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.14.22] Sea Block Pack 0.0.4

Post by Taratsamura »

i played it for a while as it is, no tweaking or anything. And it has some issues.

1.) Multiplayer makes it kinda easy.
Not that you're faster anyway, but you also get the starter kid for everyone who joins the party. Either you make it some kind of PvP splitting the research or you make it, that you start with an empty inventory and everything you need is in a start chest.

2.) exploiting a landfill "bug".
I rarely use landfill in normal games, since i almost always play with water only in the starting area, thats why i dont know if this landfill bug is from the mod or standard.
If you shrink your landfill brush to 1 tile, you can make 4 tiles of landfill while using only 1 up. Placing the landfill not direktly side on side to the main land, but with 1 tile space, it spawns up to 3 additional landtiles. using it carefully you can multiplie your landfill by 4. which makes it way easier.

3.) You get Resin way too late. there must be a easier way, because i need the rubber earlier in the game.

Trainwreck
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trainwreck »

Taratsamura wrote:i played it for a while as it is, no tweaking or anything. And it has some issues.

Not that you're faster anyway, but you also get the starter kid for everyone who joins the party. Either you make it some kind of PvP splitting the research or you make it, that you start with an empty inventory and everything you need is in a start chest.

I rarely use landfill in normal games, since i almost always play with water only in the starting area, thats why i dont know if this landfill bug is from the mod or standard.
If you shrink your landfill brush to 1 tile, you can make 4 tiles of landfill while using only 1 up. Placing the landfill not direktly side on side to the main land, but with 1 tile space, it spawns up to 3 additional landtiles. using it carefully you can multiplie your landfill by 4. which makes it way easier.

3.) You get Resin way too late. there must be a easier way, because i need the rubber earlier in the game.
Good point about the starter kit, version 0.0.5 uses a chest.

That landfill exploit is part of the standard game, installing water-fix fixes it. I don't really want to add another mod to the pack just for an exploit fix. So if anyone uses that exploit then consider it cheating.

Yeah, you've got to do a bit of research for resin, but it's only green science research so shouldn't be too bad. Then you need methanol and ammonia from algae cellulose and catalyst ores from floatation cells. I assume you need the rubber for circuit network wires? Angels overflow valve is useful for keeping your factory working before circuit network is available.

Hratt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.14.22] Sea Block Pack 0.0.5

Post by Hratt »

Thanks for the fun alternative gameplay mod. Worms aren't to my preference so I'm glad you have an option for 'None' regarding enemy bases.

I installed water-fix now that its compatible with landfill painting and can confirm it does fix the extra landfill exploit. For me it interjects a longer period of landfill farming to fill out space for the initial ore generation.

I'm curious on what build order people have for this mod, given the large constraints on ore income and power efficiency.

In broad strokes I kind of see the super early game as:

Landfill Generation to fill 1-2 chunks, (4 Electrolysers make 24 / min, 45 mins to fill to two chunks)
Convert to Initial Ore Crystallization,
Science Lab, Automation, Steam Engines, Boilers (fed with starting materials to ensure full power).
Inserters/Assembly for Chest Fed Ore Crystallization Automation (this taps out starting power)
Landfill Generation to fill 3-4 chunks (Recommend 8 Electrolysers 48 / min, 44 minutes for two more chunks 1.6 mW)
Steam Power Line 1 (45 minutes of production, roughly concurrent with the landfill generation)
Landfill Generation to fill 5-6 chunks,

Then I'm less sure what to focus on. I'm thinking of trying to expand crystallization to four crystallizers by converting the landfill generation setup. This would require teching up to Basic Electronic Boards (Only requires 85 red science or 255 plates) and Steel (50 red, 150 plates) or 540 ores total, or 12 minutes of production. I think this is doable while you are using the power line 1 power for landfill generation to 5-6 chunks.

After you get the second crystallization line up it should be significantly faster to expand power and repeat the landfill generation sequence again. Maybe that could be a general flow where you do landfill -> convert to ore crystallization -> build power? Assuming ore is the constraint the first setup should take 60 mins, second 30, third 20, fourth 15, and fifth 12 minutes. So getting to 12 crystallizers assuming no other bottleneck takes minimum 2 hour 17 minutes? This would be from 2-3 hours into the game roughly so the expectation would be having a basic base with 270 ore/min and 6-8 mW spare power started at 4-6 hours?

I feel like I have been waiting too long to expand crystallization in my previous games. In those games, the initial base doesn't really get rolling until 8 hours in and I didn't get blue science/robots until 24. I know its a bit of a challenge mod but I feel like there's probably a way to get those times way down if I build things in the right order. I suspect since you have a direct to uranium ore crystallization recipe that even the early inefficient nuclear power is probably really good. That may be key to letting the basic base take off. I haven't used the mod at all before but it does seem like you have to get electric engines, circuit network, resin, and a few other green techs to make any nuclear setup.

blues
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by blues »

Trainwreck wrote:
Taratsamura wrote:i played it for a while as it is, no tweaking or anything. And it has some issues.

Good point about the starter kit, version 0.0.5 uses a chest.

That landfill exploit is part of the standard game, installing water-fix fixes it. I don't really want to add another mod to the pack just for an exploit fix. So if anyone uses that exploit then consider it cheating.

Yeah, you've got to do a bit of research for resin, but it's only green science research so shouldn't be too bad. Then you need methanol and ammonia from algae cellulose and catalyst ores from floatation cells. I assume you need the rubber for circuit network wires? Angels overflow valve is useful for keeping your factory working before circuit network is available.

How do you get sliver ore?
In order to get Resin, you need Green Metal Catalyst for Formaldehyde. And you need Aluminum ore and Sliver ore to get Green Metal Catalyst.
But I cannot find how to produce Sliver ore.

Return to “Mods”