Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.17

Post by bman212121 »

Qon wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 am
DRY411S wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am
I seem to remember a while ago maybe v0.15 that this got a "won't fix" response.
A lot of us still want it fixed though. And things change in the game so the context of their response changes. Maybe they are open to fixing it now?
Apparently not. I put in a bug report but it just got flagged as duplicate with no response.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=68237

I really don't understand what the issue would be here though. Clearly the game already stores whether or not a connection does or does not exist in the save. Clearly the blueprints themselves are capable of storing this. It even will show up correctly on the ground so that means the "ghosts" are doing the logic as intended and storing the result. The broken part is the actual logic that makes the connections just needs to have a check to see if a pole had a manual connection removed and make it so it doesn't get connected. The game doesn't magically connect the poles upon reloading, nor does the game connect the poles in your blueprint.

Blueprint that will put down 3 poles with only red wire connections

Code: Select all

0eNqdkc0KwjAQhN9lzik01vqTVxERbRdZaLYlTcVS8u4m9VIQhXpZmGUz35CZcGsG6hyLh5nAVSs9zGlCz3e5Nmnnx45gwJ4sFORqk7JU82AzaqjyjqusaxtCUGCp6Qmjw1mBxLNnevvNYrzIYG/k4sFvJ4Wu7ePjVlKCaJgdFUaYPCJiRIm3PCedoNNwVC8pHNUmnEMI6oO8WUnO14L1App08SVIsTLInz8Qi5irM4umFR7k+tl6X+S6LMuD3u5CeAEqErI3
I just verified that you can even export a blueprint and import the string again and it's correct. So the blueprint is clearly capable of retaining the information. You can take that link of code and bring it into any game and it will retain the settings. The only thing that is 100% broken right now is that the actual building of the item is not honoring the settings. This would be the equivalent of copying a blueprint, but not having your factories retain what item they have set to build. It's literally the same thing. Yes there is additional logic to make additional connections, but clearly the connection logic is broken if it can't handle manual connections being made. The data is there for the logic to detect it (It's clearly stored in the blueprint, even if the "data" means that checking to see that there is absent data between two poles that is normally present) so it's just a matter of someone reworking the logic to include it.

For reiteration here's what happens:

Top is the original, bottom is the blueprint
before-after blueprint powerpoles.png
before-after blueprint powerpoles.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4290 times
Here is the ghost on the ground before the connection logic is used and the actual item is placed instead of the ghost item.
ghost power poles.png
ghost power poles.png (694.48 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
The ghost is capable of getting this right but the connection logic isn't.

I suppose someone can try a feature request, but this isn't a new feature. It's making the game work.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

bman212121 wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:36 pm
Apparently not. I put in a bug report but it just got flagged as duplicate with no response.
This behaviour is well known, and there have been plenty of bug reports about it, eg viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37411. There is already a suggestion to improve it viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47949.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

bman212121 wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:36 pm
A bug being valid and a bug being a duplicate are completely different things. It being marked duplicate has nothing to do with it being valid.

As an aside, a bug being valid (by any person's point of view) and it being fixed are also different. Not TOTALLY different but plenty of valid bugs go unfixed.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

Searched all over. Where can I find out about these new signals I see?

check, Info and dot signals?

-jim lee

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

jim lee wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 am

-jim lee
What are you talking about - where are there signals like that ?
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

jockeril wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:48 pm

-jim lee
Map View, the icons.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:02 pm

-jim lee
Map View, the icons.
I just loaded a game and hit M for map view. I see nothing labeled check, info, or dot. And I don't see a check icon, a dot icon, or a little "i" in a circle which is what I'd expect an info icon would look like.

Any chance you're running some mods?

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:02 pm

-jim lee
Map View, the icons.
I just loaded a game and hit M for map view. I see nothing labeled check, info, or dot. And I don't see a check icon, a dot icon, or a little "i" in a circle which is what I'd expect an info icon would look like.

Any chance you're running some mods?
vanilla
factorio_check_dot_info.png
factorio_check_dot_info.png (107.1 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Shingen wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:17 pm
vanilla
factorio_check_dot_info.png
Aha.

I am by no means sure but I think they mean the exact same thing as the A-Z etc signals. They just give you a few more signals to use that may be convenient for you to remember what they're for.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

I can't find the reference, but as I understand what someone (I think a dev) said, the signals were added for the intro campaign. They were intended to be disabled for freeplay, but that didn't happen. Since they're in now, and they don't hurt anything in freeplay, they'll probably stay in.

Disclaimer: I am not a dev, and I can't actually point to who said this or where it was said.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

I wish we could edit/add icons to the list. Last world I ran out of them an needed a text cheat sheet to keep track of what they all meant.

-jim lee

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:05 pm
I wish we could edit/add icons to the list. Last world I ran out of them an needed a text cheat sheet to keep track of what they all meant.
Just in case you weren't already aware: mods can add new virtual signals, and there's a number of mods that add useful ones on the mod portal, such as:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/an-imprac ... of-signals
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/speaker-signals
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/speaker-signals-expansion
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/aai-signals

Signals are actual defined "objects" in the game and as such you can't, unfortunately, define new ones dynamically; they're set up just once when the game starts up like many other things, so the only way to customise them is with a mod. It's pretty easy to make a mod that does nothing but define new signals, though: you can unzip one of the mods linked above and see the minimal amount of stuff required in data.lua.

Return to β€œReleases”