[0.17.79] Constant "server is not responding" and ""Player" is being dropped" (steam game invite)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
SwatxHero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.79] Constant "server is not responding" and ""Player" is being dropped" (steam game invite)

Post by SwatxHero »

Hello all,

Recently a friend and I started playing on a server hosted through steam, where he just connects straight to me. We have 9 hours currently on the map and it was always running fine. Recently (as of a week ago) he started having almost constant "server is not responding" errors that made it to where he could not even play.

Now just today I sent him my map file and tried having him host, and this time I could connect, but on his screen, it always said: "SwatxHero is being dropped".

We have only made it to blue science and our base is not that big, both of our computers sit at about 20% CPU usage while the game is running.

We tried starting a new map and the same issues happened.

My internet speed is: 370 down, 360 up. His is 40 down and 7 up.

The only mods we are running are Squeak through, long reach and Resource spawner overhaul.

The game doesn't lag for either of us on a bigger map when we play single player, but when in multiplayer it becomes unplayable for both of us no matter who is hosting.

I'm not sure what other information I need to provide but thanks in advance.
Attachments
Paka Nathan maybe trent.zip
(6.77 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
mods.zip
(102.29 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Constant "server is not responding" and ""Player" is being dropped" Version 0.17.79 build 47865

Post by Loewchen »

Post both of your logs after a session with the issue, see my signature.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Constant "server is not responding" and ""Player" is being dropped" Version 0.17.79 build 47865

Post by BlueTemplar »

Have you tried slowing down game speed ? ( /c game.speed X or mods)
SwatxHero wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 am
both of our computers sit at about 20% CPU usage while the game is running.
This seems to be kind of irrelevant - I'm suspecting that these days CPUs quickly switch between cores to minimize overheating.
For instance I tried to connect to 75+ players biter battles this week-end, but was still failing to catch up, with Factorio hovering around 13%, and neither memory, disk or network seemingly overstressed. (Setting sprite resolution to Normal didn't help.)
But then I realized that I have an 8-core, and that 100%/8=12.5%...
SwatxHero wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 am
The game doesn't lag for either of us on a bigger map when we play single player, but when in multiplayer it becomes unplayable for both of us no matter who is hosting.
Ah, yeah, that *is* kind of weird. Though more players => more active chunks, this shouldn't be a huge increase with only 2 players ?
Post both of your logs after a session with the issue, see my signature.
Yeah, I'll try to do this too, just in case, next time I run into this issue.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Technical Help”