[15.9+] Hang/KILL when maximising window

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Paul17041993
Inserter
Inserter

[15.9+] Hang/KILL when maximising window

Post by Paul17041993 »

... with the achievements display open. Basically all you need to do is load a world > open achievements list > shrink the game window (if it isn't already) and then maximise the window and boom! game locks up and eventually gets collected/terminated by windows (ie; "application has stopped responding"/"encountered a problem...")

Havn't tested linux yet but I would assume the condition is the same.
Result is exactly the same between platforms, linux collects the broken process almost immediately however.
Last edited by Paul17041993 on Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please be sure you've googled your question before asking me about code... :T

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [.15] Hang when maximising the window...

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log please, see my signature.

Paul17041993
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [.15] Hang when maximising the window...

Post by Paul17041993 »

There's nothing logged at the time of hanging, due to it being a hang and not a crash.
Is the logging system on a separate thread alongside a watchdog? because you need these to debug hang conditions, without triggering the event yourself with the debugger attached (of which the log and watch threads are in the debugger instead).
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
log from hang
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Paul17041993
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [15.9+] Hang/KILL when maximising window

Post by Paul17041993 »

Double-post for linux update, bug still exists in 15.10, it also seems to be possible for a crash/KILL to not occur if the window was already close to the maximised size when performing the maximise...

Again, nothing useful logged to file and any crash files, dumps or kernel logs are non-existant, seems to be a case of an ASSERT? (if you are using asserts in your code, you need to stop and remove all of them as they're just bad to use, period...)
Attachments
factorio-current.log
linux log before KILL
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Paul17041993 wrote:Double-post for linux update, bug still exists in 15.10, it also seems to be possible for a crash/KILL to not occur if the window was already close to the maximised size when performing the maximise...

Again, nothing useful logged to file and any crash files, dumps or kernel logs are non-existant, seems to be a case of an ASSERT? (if you are using asserts in your code, you need to stop and remove all of them as they're just bad to use, period...)
That's not how asserts work. If we left asserts enabled in the release build and one failed it would halt at that line of code and terminate the program - not hang it. As for the freeze I'll look into it.

It has something to do with the steam integration because it doesn't happen in the non-steam version. Nevermind - I can make it happen regardless of steam.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. It's now fixed for the next version of 0.15.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Paul17041993
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Paul17041993 »

Rseding91 wrote: That's not how asserts work. If we left asserts enabled in the release build and one failed it would halt at that line of code and terminate the program - not hang it.
It varies with implementation actually, it can either be a one-line 'exit(1);' call (I think this is the default for C) or it can make a call to the OS signalling an assert (which is the default for windows last I checked, and likely why there's a debug option).

Just don't use asserts, they're lazy, unhelpful and you don't ever need them. Use a crash handler, which can be as simple as a few lines of code that prints a link to the source line, stack and dumps it to a file. C++ has exception handling that can be used and you could make a full-fledged crash logger like minecraft's if you wanted.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”