Make wood useful

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dormat1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make wood useful

Post by Dormat1 »

Use wood in more then wood crates and fuel.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make wood useful

Post by steinio »

Power poles ;p

Do you have some ideas where to use wood?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

In this thread, it has been proposed that wood should also be used to build very simple walls, that are weaker than stone and concrete walls.

Also, I would like to point out that Bod's Mods uses wood for quite a few other things, such as producing tier 1 electronic circuits. It even allows you to produce wood using greenhouses.

I agree with you that wood should have more uses than it currently does in vanilla Factorio.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I don't think walls is the way to go, they just wouldn't be used.

I quite liked Bob's implementation of Wood to Heavy Oil, I used it for different reasons but in vanilla a wood to say Petroleum or Light Oil recipe (at a ratio of 20:1 or something) would allow us to do something useful with all that excess wood but not make it a requirement.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

Wood currently cannot be included into main recipes because:
-Wood is a very limited ressource.
-Wood cannot be automatically gathered.

But those points could change in the future, that would allow more uses for wood.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

FasterJump wrote:-Wood cannot be automatically gathered.
Bots...

TakingItCasual
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TakingItCasual »

I'd hardly call the deconstruction planner automatic.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

TakingItCasual wrote:I'd hardly call the deconstruction planner automatic.
Neither are miners (unless you are NiftyManiac ;)).

Both are the same deal: Place once, get resources until exhausted, remove and replace elsewhere. Wood farming yields less amount per each iteration, but so the demand for wood could be balanced accordingly. Also trees could be bumped to yield 8 or even 16 raw wood, if necessary for balance.

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

charcoaling would be a rather interesting option turning excess wood into coal

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Charcoaling would be easy to add even even. Simply use a furnace recipy. 2 Wood + (fuel/energy) at 4 seconds -> 1 Coal. Then make it a default furnace recipy so that you have access to it right from the get-go. Any surplus wood? Shove it into a furnace to make some coal out of it, which can then be used in coal liquification, plastics... energy wise it'd still be cheaper to just burn wood directly, but you'd have another option.

Right now, once my base is established and I've got both steel and medium electric pole production, wood becomes useless. I usually set up a single boiler plus 4 steam engines and a tank, then send all wood there via the logistics network, along with basic electric poles, chests and boards (they've got a fuel value so they'll burn, no need to clog up storage with those). Garbage incinerator basically.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Aeternus wrote:Charcoaling would be easy to add even even. Simply use a furnace recipy. 2 Wood + (fuel/energy) at 4 seconds -> 1 Coal. Then make it a default furnace recipy so that you have access to it right from the get-go. Any surplus wood? Shove it into a furnace to make some coal out of it, which can then be used in coal liquification, plastics... energy wise it'd still be cheaper to just burn wood directly, but you'd have another option.
Nope. Wood is a fuel. While you can make a chemical-burner factory use a chemical-fuel in recipes, it will have the completely understandable and infuriating effect of using the wood as fuel instead of as a component.

Suggest doing it in Assembly Machine, chemical plant, or a new machine.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Aeternus wrote:Charcoaling would be easy to add even even. Simply use a furnace recipy. 2 Wood + (fuel/energy) at 4 seconds -> 1 Coal. Then make it a default furnace recipy so that you have access to it right from the get-go. Any surplus wood? Shove it into a furnace to make some coal out of it, which can then be used in coal liquification, plastics... energy wise it'd still be cheaper to just burn wood directly, but you'd have another option.
Nope. Wood is a fuel. While you can make a chemical-burner factory use a chemical-fuel in recipes, it will have the completely understandable and infuriating effect of using the wood as fuel instead of as a component.

Suggest doing it in Assembly Machine, chemical plant, or a new machine.
Instead of the assembly machine or chemical plant, it makes more sense to produce it in the electric furnace, as it doesn't accept fuels, only ores and it's also a process that heats them in order to extract the metals

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

True enough, that would work.

Would need to make electric furnaces classified differently, similar to how Assemblers can make engines while the player cannot.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

The game will accept the same kind of item used as both fuel and resource. I've seen it work before in Bobs mods when making "Carbon" in a non-electrical chemcical furnace. It requires coal, but can use both coal for base resource as well as fuel. Using it in any furnace would work

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

that sounds like a non-vanilla entity and modmakers have a lot more freedom to change recipes and entities. You could probably create a mod producing satellites out of fish ;)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

dasiro wrote:that sounds like a non-vanilla entity and modmakers have a lot more freedom to change recipes and entities. You could probably create a mod producing satellites out of fish ;)
That much is trivial. I could write that in 5 minutes
-----
That thing in bobs mod was what I was talking about. You can use fuel as ingredients but it tends to get used as fuel which is annoying.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah but in Bob's Mods Carbon isn't too bad because in the Burner Chemical Furnace you can set the recipe so it's not accidentally going to get made. You can't really use another fuel source, at least not reliably, but it's not exactly used in high volumes until you've got the electric variant and until then it's easier to use coal regardless.

The problem with a recipe having a fuel as a component is only a problem with furnaces because they don't have recipes. This could mean if you were using wood to power your Iron furnaces you could potentially end up with a bunch of Coal in your Iron feed.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Yeah but in Bob's Mods Carbon isn't too bad because in the Burner Chemical Furnace you can set the recipe so it's not accidentally going to get made. You can't really use another fuel source, at least not reliably, but it's not exactly used in high volumes until you've got the electric variant and until then it's easier to use coal regardless.

The problem with a recipe having a fuel as a component is only a problem with furnaces because they don't have recipes. This could mean if you were using wood to power your Iron furnaces you could potentially end up with a bunch of Coal in your Iron feed.
Huh, didn't consider that....

That would be amusing at least.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

whitecold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by whitecold »

I very much like the electronics of bob's mod. The MK I-MK V of each item get cluttery, but the more complicated recipes for the intermediaries make for an interesting challenge. Having to use wood in circuits together with a early automatable wood source would be nice

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

That's irrelevant for this topic. The base game won't be made this complex because there would be too high a barrier to entry. Sure it seems simple enough to you now but I bet it all wasn't so simple in your first few playthroughs. Wood can't be used as it is in Bob's Mods without implementing the Greenhouse as well which is also ramping up the difficulty more than desired.

IMO it just need establishing as a side-recipe for something. Not sure if it can be set up so that it can be turned into Coal -but- it only works in Electric Furnaces? That would work too.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”