Dying in SP should be like in MP

Suggestions that were added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:44 pm
Contact:

Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Peter34 »

I know I can probably achieve the same effect by just starting an MP game without actually adding any other players. But why not include the MP death functionality in the SP game mode too, at least as a game setup option? So that if you die, the game isn't over, forcing you to load from a normal save or auto-save, if you even have one, but instead you're reincarnated at the respawn spot, but you lose everything you're carrying.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by FishSandwich »

An option for this at least would be nice.

User avatar
Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Smarty »

Well if you die in real life you wont respawn or reload the world either.



Just kidding it would be a nice option just to respawn

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 11:29 am
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by sillyfly »

Smarty wrote:Well if you die in real life you wont respawn or reload the world either.
Wait, so life is actually Single Player?
I knew you guys were all just AI-controlled automatons! ;)

User avatar
Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Smarty »

sillyfly wrote:
Smarty wrote:Well if you die in real life you wont respawn or reload the world either.
Wait, so life is actually Single Player?
I knew you guys were all just AI-controlled automatons! ;)
:lol:

User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 7346
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by bobingabout »

the respawning in MP was added because the permadeath of SP wasn't viable with multiple players, you can't just reload because one person died. I personally like the way it is... at long as my autosave is set to a short enough period where I don't have to re-do heaps of things because of a silly mistake.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

User avatar
SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by SHiRKiT »

bobingabout wrote:the respawning in MP was added because the permadeath of SP wasn't viable with multiple players, you can't just reload because one person died. I personally like the way it is... at long as my autosave is set to a short enough period where I don't have to re-do heaps of things because of a silly mistake.
By accepting death and losing some items I think players would get a better overall experience.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by FishSandwich »

SHiRKiT wrote:
bobingabout wrote:the respawning in MP was added because the permadeath of SP wasn't viable with multiple players, you can't just reload because one person died. I personally like the way it is... at long as my autosave is set to a short enough period where I don't have to re-do heaps of things because of a silly mistake.
By accepting death and losing some items I think players would get a better overall experience.
This. Plus there is still the ability to revert to an autosave.

User avatar
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Takezu »

I don't know if that would be a better expirience. Would only mean that i can get away mit beeing more careless, if i don't keep items on me i don'T need.
Who cares if a train hits me, i respawn. Oh biter nest was to big, a whatever i respawn. The System as it stands now makes at least me think two times
befor i cross my Mainrail. For me it would be at worst round about 10min lost progress. And it's good as it stands.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by FishSandwich »

Takezu wrote:I don't know if that would be a better expirience. Would only mean that i can get away mit beeing more careless, if i don't keep items on me i don'T need.
Who cares if a train hits me, i respawn. Oh biter nest was to big, a whatever i respawn. The System as it stands now makes at least me think two times
befor i cross my Mainrail. For me it would be at worst round about 10min lost progress. And it's good as it stands.
How is that different to the current system though?

"Who cares if a train hits me, I autosave every minute."
"Oh biter nest was too big, a whatever I saved before going in."

User avatar
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Takezu »

Loading a save isn'T as convinient then hittin a button that sets you automaticlly inside your base.
Is a bit more work then Click respawn ;)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by FishSandwich »

Takezu wrote:Loading a save isn'T as convinient then hittin a button that sets you automaticlly inside your base.
Is a bit more work then Click respawn ;)
.. You're kidding right? Loading a save is not a huge inconvenience. It's literally 4 mouseclicks.

User avatar
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Takezu »

Plus Loading time, which can be vary depending on pc and map.
Mine isn't exactly instant. and defenatly a bit more then a respawn would take.

So on that case, i try to avoid dying in the first place, when i would respawn
i would be definitly more careless and i really don't think thats better.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by FishSandwich »

Respawn takes roughly 10 seconds in MP. Does loading a save really take more than 10 seconds for you?

If it were placed as an option, how does it affect you really? If people don't want to use it, then they don't have to use it. There's no need to deprave others that want to use it.

User avatar
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Takezu »

Give someone the option to cheat and you'd suprised how many say they won't but in the end do for convenience sake.
But that normal behavior, if theres a shortcut its most likely taken.

Yes it takes a bit more, maybe it'S that my maps are RSO and not what i 'd call small.
And well it's getting worse with every hour of playing.
But that perfectly normal

As bobingabout statet i think the respawn was only a necessity for MP.
And imho should be just like that.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by FishSandwich »

So your argument is this: "People who want it can't have it because people who don't want it might not be able to control themselves" ?

That's a pretty poor argument tbh.

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 5030
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Klonan »

I think when you die in SP you should have the option of respawning, theres no rational argument i can find to deprive the player of this choice.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12717
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by ssilk »

There are some ideas and mods about respawning.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3397 instead of dying, restart in clone center / cloning /respawn
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... awn#p24550 A cup of multiplayer
(https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... it=respawn Death chest )
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... wn*&fid=14 (but in most cases the respawn of biters)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

User avatar
vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 am
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by vampiricdust »

Respawning should be an option. At map creation you choose whether you're a human or droid. Droids can be rebuilt and deployed while humans only live once. Options are always a good idea. It would really up my enjoyment of the game if it was allowed. I don't know about campaign though, the life & death aspect means more. Otherwise, it's on my wish list.

User avatar
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Takezu »

Vampiricdust, that would be an option that i would agree with.
Setting the option to respawn at mapgen is brilliant.
And the Droid/human setting would fit as well i think.

Edit: At the Dorid thing, thinking about there could be something like a construction structure
at the starting point where you would be reconstructed in case of destruction ... just a random thought sprung to mind..

Post Reply

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”