[Mod 0.13.11+]The Underground(Release 0.0.9)(26.7.16)

Topics and discussion about specific mods

Are the flame throwers on the mech too small. Or should i change them to be bigger?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Mod 0.13.11+]The Underground(Release 0.0.9)(26.7.16)

Post by jorgenRe »

Who doesn't like big machines :D ?
(turret module seems to be not all right :( Oh and BTW there should be spawning
flame turrets on it later too
!No wait it would look much better with mechs walking by its side :D! And ofcourse the smoke :twisted: !
A wise man once said: "Don't be greedy, or you will regret it"

Type: Mod
Name: The Underground
Description: Adds the possibility to travel underground. A place with great riches, but dangers never seen before.
License: None. So if you wish to use my mod to learn modding feel free to use parts of it in your mod ;)!
Version: 0.0.9
Release: 26.7.16
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.11
Category: Game Changing
Tags: New Surface, dangers, enemies, mining
Do NOT download this mod if you are afraid for your save. Hence the reason why this mod is in the WIP section ;)!
Remember to save before entering a hole the first time as sometimes you may spawn on lava and instadie. If you die just move the hole around until you find a place where the opening will be spawning on land. (fix to come)
Also remember that this mod may still have bugs ;)
Download-Url:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jorgen19 ... nderground

Due to the harsh conditions in The Underground, biters down there have evolved differently than those normally found on the overworld.....
PS: Notes from engineers who have ventured down there have told us that the most commonly used weaponry is highly uneffective against them.

Mod is ready for download for those of you who are eager to trye it out :)!
Please note that this is only fully functional for player 1. But it will work on multiplayer. However as of now only player 1 will trigger the changetiles functions!

How to enter the underground?
You have to first place down a hole then next to it. Prefferably on its sides place a button. Then destroy the button in whichever way you would like and you will be teleported.
Now to transfer items between the underground and the normal surface, you have to place down a container of whatever type you like close to it. Then place a connector, then hover onto the hole and then when it says hole/opening found. Hover over the chest you want as output!(multiple outputs for faster speeds should be possible, but i have yet to test it myself) Do that for both the hole and the opening. As the hole and the opening are both inputs!
PS worldgen happens first after you have placed something down. That is because or else everything becomes lava since it cant wait for other tiles to spawn before ;)!

How to transfer items between the underground and the normal world?
After you have placed down a hole you can connect it to containers, for example a chest. Then place down a connnector, hover over the hole you want to add an output to then hover over a container.
The same can be done for an opening so then first hover over an opening then a chest. It will tell you if something was registered.
Now your opening will be input for items going to the surface and the hole will be input for items going to the Underground.

Modular Mining Machine
(it will be rerendered soon, but right now it will be ok until i got the code for the mining machine done ;)!
cause right now you just get an occasional iron ore and it turns the tiles into grass not cracked stone. #WIP :)
Currently there are 4 Modules. Drill head, Turret Module(WIP, so no turrets), storage module and rail laying module
To build it you have to first lay out the machine the way you want it, but it has to start with a drill head then a rail layer and then end with a storage module!.
To complete it you have to after you have built it to the way you want it to look. Place down a Modular Mining Machine connector and then following the instructions. Please be a little quick and not selecting any of the ones you selected last(will fix that) ;)! Now that your machine is complete you can control it from the gui(if there is no gui then just place down an iron chest(wont do anything bad such as starting a loop or something hehe ;))

Now things to know is that the return button will make the machine drive backwards, BUT it wont stop. Though that is temporary and will be fixed when i add a way for emptying it much quicker. Imagine a thing in the ground. that takes all the ores out of the machine and empties it all to a nearby container. Then a crane is used to automatically lift up the machine and move it a little up and then reassemble the machine. Then it sends it away once again!

Plans For the Mining Machine:
Refinery module for getting special rare stuff such as Helium 3 when mining on the moon(upcomming)
Add in the possibility for the machine to lay down belts instead of tracks(i'm debating wether it would be more ennjoyable if it layed down tracks and belts or only belts for ore transport. Because i'm thinking of the tracks as a way to help spread the weight of it so that it doesnt get stuck. Because you have to consider the fact that it has dug up the stone beneath it. So the ground will be very unstable.
Comming Next Big Version!
The Fire Shooting Mech
No texture as of showing this picture, but hope you like it :D !
Also it is not yet implemented in game.

What is to come soon?
--Automatic emptying of the storage modules. Then a big pusher pushes the mining machine up or down depending on how YOU have chosen it do it :) I Will trye and make it as smart as possible so that it knows that. Hey a miner has already taking this path. Lets send it further. And communication between the miners so that they dont all move into the station!

--Mech Entity first implementation. Just having it move because i just thought well if i split it into two entities i will be able to have it both be able to move its legs(car entity where direction is used to animate it) AND move its top body to focus on what it kills(basically a turret entity) :)!

What is to come later?
--It is neccecary to have oxygen supply with you and a cooling device in your powerarmour(cooling device im not so sure how to do, but il trye)!
--Drilling that hole takes time.
--Research facilities that can be explored to find and unlock recipies! (and yes i do plan to make it so that there is a self destruct mechanism if you trye and break something ;)!) (spawning of facilities partly done)
--Integration with the new and improved RSO version by Yeganer(on hold until he got it done)!
--The mining machine causes the underground to crack and that may have some unforseen dangers. Let them be free!(optional difficulty level, because i'm not that evil)(comming when the main features are done) :twisted: !
--Creating an addon for when this mod is installed with UsefulSpace to then let you the player mine the moon for its He-3 :D!
Fatmice. Do you have any plans on creating a fusion reactor :D!?

What are my plans for the mod?
Currently i'm wanting to create this mod as a mod that can be used by other mods to for example put some of their special ores in the underground. Like for example to get diamonds at a much greater rate you have to travel undeground. Or the only way to get cobalt is to get it from the underground.
--The next way of mining!
No more the need for creating a new mining outpost when a mine runs out. Why? Because you have the possibility to destroy the underground(or the normal world if you wish to :twisted: ) with a new machine called the MMM the Modular Mining Machine! And poof goes yet another Shadow biter :twisted: !
Mechs - Because i need a model for my next game that i will be creating for my school project(my third game). Why? Because the other games i have look like this:
prepare your eyes
Who wants Helium 3 for their fusion reactors? I do! Lets go to the Moon :D!

News
news
Known Issues
You may be unlucky and spawn on lava so please save before entering the hole
Biters will want to attack the opening so trye and enter the area as quickly as possible before the biters destroy the opening. I will come with a fix as soon as possible.
There may occasionally be some grass tiles. I wil fix them soon, but they arent on my priority right now since they are fairly uncommon
Changelog
Credit for the hole graphic goes to Yuokitany. One of this forum's greatest texturer and modeler!
Credit for the Resource overhaul mod goes to the great Orzelekt and the original author Dark!
[/spoiler]
license stuff
Attachments
theUnderground_0.0.8.zip
For ONLY 0.13.0+
(13.36 MiB) Downloaded 324 times
theUnderground_0.0.7.zip
for factorio 0.12.11+
(13.37 MiB) Downloaded 610 times
Last edited by jorgenRe on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:05 am, edited 111 times in total.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.0]The Underground(not released yet)

Post by Klonan »

Can i suggest that you implement the command

Code: Select all

/c game.daytime = 0.5
for when you go underground, this would make it dark as nighttime and really add to the atmosphere :D

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Klonan wrote:Can i suggest that you implement the command

Code: Select all

/c game.daytime = 0.5
for when you go underground, this would make it dark as nighttime and really add to the atmosphere :D
I could, but it would be of the expense of all solar power on the overworld because the time is linked in all worlds :(!
So if i set it to night in the underground it becomes night in the normal world too =/

But yea it is on my wish list to do as i plan to put in some small lava spots that light up the cave, but you are allowed to create geothermal powerplants on them :P!
Also the enemies i have in plans are sortoff needing it to be very dark for them to work as they should ;)!
Logo

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

I wish you the best of luck. I have been waiting to see some surface mods.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

How about a cave? Image
Would it be possible to spawn finite surface and surround main path with stones and stuff? I doubt you cant hole per se, no?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

oLaudix wrote:
HMM3
Best HMM ever :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

oLaudix wrote:How about a cave?
Would it be possible to spawn finite surface and surround main path with stones and stuff? I doubt you cant hole per se, no?
It should be possible, but it would require me to learn some more advanced things. But yea basically if i turn water to cave tiles in an alternate surface it shouldnt be too hard to get a simple cave up and going ;)!
But that may be for later (or soon by others ofc).
Right now i'm just mainly learning how i can do things and then maybe i can begin looking into that cave mod as it seems like an interesting mod to give extra challenge for the player. Imagine a dark cave that biters rule for their advantage :twisted: !
No power, not much light(klonans torch mod to the rescue) so it will require YOU to fight without much other than what you got on you!
Hence if you dont have the fighting power you are forced to block of the cave and spend resources to keep the pesky biters from comming out of it!
Logo

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

jorgenRe wrote:It should be possible, but it would require me to learn some more advanced things. But yea basically if i turn water to cave tiles in an alternate surface it shouldnt be too hard to get a simple cave up and going ;)!
But that may be for later (or soon by others ofc).
You could also theoretically make stones with new graphics that looks like solid rock blocks (graphically fitting together so they look like one solid thing). Then all 'solid earth / non cave' is just filled with these stone-blocks.
That would allow you to 'dig' using explosives (or guns if you are very desperate). You could even make them mine-able, so you can dig your way through with your pick.
It would also inherently allow biters to dig new caves, since they won't be able to path and will attack their path open to their target.

You could even make variants of earth (dirt = low hp, easy to dig. Solid rock = high HP, but drops stone when dug. Bedrock = Extremely hard to dig.)

Sidenote: Not sure how you would go about preventing flying robots from breaking the illusion and just flying 'over' the rock. But that would also apply for a water-tile-based approach.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

UberWaffe wrote: You could also theoretically make stones with new graphics that looks like solid rock blocks (graphically fitting together so they look like one solid thing). Then all 'solid earth / non cave' is just filled with these stone-blocks.
That would allow you to 'dig' using explosives (or guns if you are very desperate). You could even make them mine-able, so you can dig your way through with your pick.
It would also inherently allow biters to dig new caves, since they won't be able to path and will attack their path open to their target.

You could even make variants of earth (dirt = low hp, easy to dig. Solid rock = high HP, but drops stone when dug. Bedrock = Extremely hard to dig.)

Sidenote: Not sure how you would go about preventing flying robots from breaking the illusion and just flying 'over' the rock. But that would also apply for a water-tile-based approach.
The only problem with what you are saying is that it would require me to spend a fair bit more time programming ;)
But it should be possible.However i'm currently focused on doing the underground mod and then il either A. Begin work on some simple caves, or B. Start a mod that adds new kinds of enemies that will change the strategy needed for players to win! A mod that will destroy people's bases as soon as they launch it because they did not prepare for what is comming to the mod :twisted: !
Hint HInt Siege....THe underground...
Logo

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

UberWaffe wrote:Sidenote: Not sure how you would go about preventing flying robots from breaking the illusion and just flying 'over' the rock. But that would also apply for a water-tile-based approach.
The only way around that would be to ban flying robots while underground.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Liquius wrote:
UberWaffe wrote:Sidenote: Not sure how you would go about preventing flying robots from breaking the illusion and just flying 'over' the rock. But that would also apply for a water-tile-based approach.
The only way around that would be to ban flying robots while underground.
Oh its even easier just ban roboports to be placed in caves and say that the heat is too much for the robots to fly safely.
3 extra lines of code. Done ;)!
Logo

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

You could go with the 'bottomless pits' approach like Don't Starve eventually decided to. It's a bit weird, but then, so is Don't Starve.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I'd be interested in seeing your tile-replacement code :) I do a lot of tile related stuff in my Landfill mod and it's very fast even when replacing multiple 10s of thousands of tiles.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Rseding91 wrote:I'd be interested in seeing your tile-replacement code :) I do a lot of tile related stuff in my Landfill mod and it's very fast even when replacing multiple 10s of thousands of tiles.
Right now it is just very basic so it does a 200 x 200 (40000) tiles in one go, but thats in 1 tick so I plan to spread the workload over multiple ticks. Then I think you will find it interesting ;)!
Logo

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

jorgenRe wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:I'd be interested in seeing your tile-replacement code :) I do a lot of tile related stuff in my Landfill mod and it's very fast even when replacing multiple 10s of thousands of tiles.
Right now it is just very basic so it does a 200 x 200 (40000) tiles in one go, but thats in 1 tick so I plan to spread the workload over multiple ticks. Then I think you will find it interesting ;)!
Did you try to do it in chunk generation code?
Should be automatically staged by the game generation then.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

orzelek wrote:
jorgenRe wrote:
Did you try to do it in chunk generation code?
Should be automatically staged by the game generation then.
Right now as stated before im just testing so chunk generation goes around the player at start, but i just checked out the on_chunk_generated event as i though that might work. However it didn't seem to work =/
But i'm currently just focusing on getting the main features in before i go all in on improving everything seeing as all of a sudden an update for Factorio arrives and it includes something like you can specify which biomes can spawn in a surface ;)!
Logo

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.0]The Underground(Update 4: 29th July))

Post by kiba »

Awesome idea!

I hope you have to dig out dirts underground. I would to have my very own Tunnel Boring Machine, like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_bo ... o_East.jpg

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.0]The Underground(Update 4: 29th July))

Post by jorgenRe »

kiba wrote:Awesome idea!

I hope you have to dig out dirts underground. I would to have my very own Tunnel Boring Machine, like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_bo ... o_East.jpg
Digging out dirt yourself :lol:!?
You are totally right about that Tunnel boring machine and digging out dirt. And yes i have had in mind to create something like that ;)!
Logo

Solar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.2]The Underground(Release 0.0.2)Enemies and Recipies!

Post by Solar »

HI there,

I am wondering if you have made the mod work for 0.12.2 build for Factorio and if you don't how long do you think you could make the port ready.
I am aware there will be at least one more patch to go to make the stable +, it would be nice if you could include the dependency of your mod and what major mods this is compatible, I know Dytech and Bobs mod could definitely use this mod to help give their own mods more use and diversity.

Thank you for your time :)

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.2]The Underground(Release 0.0.2)Enemies and Recipies!

Post by jorgenRe »

Solar wrote:HI there,

I am wondering if you have made the mod work for 0.12.2 build for Factorio and if you don't how long do you think you could make the port ready.
I am aware there will be at least one more patch to go to make the stable +, it would be nice if you could include the dependency of your mod and what major mods this is compatible, I know Dytech and Bobs mod could definitely use this mod to help give their own mods more use and diversity.

Thank you for your time :)
It is made to work with 0.12.2, but there may be some bugs in it seeing as it is in this early version i will upload 0.0.3 as soon as i have the custom RSO version fixed ;)!
And so you know i have talked with other devs who has ores in them and they was fine with me doing what i did, but dytech bob's mods and dims mods had plans to create a single mod for all their ores to save on vram ;)!
Logo

Return to “Mods”