Who knew you'd need THIS much...

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Who knew you'd need THIS much...

Post by Cougarific »

...copper coil!!!

Made it my beefiest/fastest/upgradiest production pod on my second playthrough after having serious deficiencies on my first playthrough.

Then I had to expand it. And expand it. And build a whole 'nother *additional* separate copper smelting/coil production pod after discovering that all that was still not enough.

AND IT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH COPPER COIL!?!? :cry:

Warning for new players: Once you get to building circuit cards you are gonna need a buttload of copper coil.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Who knew you'd need THIS much...

Post by Koub »

That's why in most cases, if you want an experienced player to have a stroke, just tell him you massively use transport belts for your copper cable conveying :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Indeed, copper cables will top your production & consumption tables. Generally it's easier to always insert them directly or between containers. Copper takes up less space and can be brought to the cables are need more easily than cables can.

Watching youtubers like Arumba and Xterminator playing will let you see a lot of ideas on how to set stuff up to make it work really smoothly.

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

Koub wrote:That's why in most cases, if you want an experienced player to have a stroke, just tell him you massively use transport belts for your copper cable conveying :lol:
Can you expand on this? Are you talking about direct insertion like the post above? Because yes I was using transport belts and yes it was a nightmare.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

You basically have the stack insertion bonus, reduce consumption by inserters, and also make the setup more compact than it could be if you place cables on belts.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Trev_lite
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Trev_lite »

For green circuits it makes sense for direct insertion but what about red circuits?
What is the way to handle them? Do you use 1 wire per 2 red circuits even if it is overkill or a run of belts with wire plants every few circuit plans?

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Trev_lite wrote:For green circuits it makes sense for direct insertion but what about red circuits?
What is the way to handle them? Do you use 1 wire per 2 red circuits even if it is overkill or a run of belts with wire plants every few circuit plans?
https://youtu.be/deUkxL2btp4?list=PLBa3 ... 83C&t=1141
This is one way I've done red circuit production.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yeah part of the reason it seemed like you needed seemingly endless amounts is because you had them on belts. Things like green circuits and red circuits use so much of them and so fast that having them on a belt is very inefficient and just can't support a large number of production facilities. :p

The general ratio for copper cable factories to green circuit factories is 3-2. So having 3 copper cable factories insertering directly into 2 green circuit factories works beautifully. ;)
Also ratio of cable to red circuit factories is 1-8 believe it or not... There is a very nice setup done by FishSandwich that works great if you have logistic robots up and running. Or you can just do what I did in my total depletion play through and go way overkill by having 1 cable factory for every 2 red circuit ones.

If you want some pictures of the setups mentioned above, let me know!
Image Image Image

Trepidati0n
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Trepidati0n »

The optimal ratio for green is 3:2. However, in reality, the amount of area saved, power saved, resources saved isn't that much compared to 1:1. So, IMO, do what floats your boat. I'm not a fan of "green circuits" though, one of those things always lands up being a "limiter" compared to other things even if you spend a lot of time optimizing it.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Here is an initial circuit setup with ratios - A very reasonable 3 copper plate and 2 iron plate input)
CIRCUIT-INITIAL.gif
CIRCUIT-INITIAL.gif (17.11 KiB) Viewed 8539 times
This is how I'd imagine a final circuit setup would look like - this setup requires almost 35 copper plates and 26 iron plates per second and is limited by the speed of the fast inserters!
CIRCUIT-FINAL.gif
CIRCUIT-FINAL.gif (60.17 KiB) Viewed 8539 times
And this is my schematic for the advanced circuits. If I wanted to produce more advanced circuits, I'd probably opt for more copies of this layout instead of upgrading the belts and inserters since the advanced circuit production is not normally buried in the heart of my factories (like the basic circuit production is). Note - the first assembler to the left produced copper cable and the rest produce adv. ckts.
ADVANCED CIRCUIT-FINAL.gif
ADVANCED CIRCUIT-FINAL.gif (50.77 KiB) Viewed 8539 times

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Wow very nice diagrams! What did you use to make those? :o
Image Image Image

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

DerivePI answers mspaint. Xterminator's mind just blows into small biter fragments :lol:
Looks like Autocad, no ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Funny enough, I did use MSPaint to make those GIFs!

Of course the screenshot was from an AutoCAD drawing I just did. This forum doesn't take PDFs (and I wouldn't think to even try .DWGs) so I use Paint as a work around.

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

My head asploded.

Thanks a lot DerivePi. :cry:

silenced
Inserter
Inserter

Post by silenced »

Koub wrote:That's why in most cases, if you want an experienced player to have a stroke, just tell him you massively use transport belts for your copper cable conveying :lol:
Transport belts? I use logistic robots for that, WAY more effective! And, you never have idle robots =)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

silenced wrote:
Transport belts? I use logistic robots for that, WAY more effective! And, you never have idle robots =)
Don't know if it is intended as sarcasm or not but Bots are in fact really way more efficient at that. It's the inserters that are the limiting factor when outputting/inputting from a belt. With Bots you completely avoid the bottleneck because of direct insertion from/into chests. But you have a steady stream of occupied bots of course. xD

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I use something quite similar.

How do you produce these awesome schemas?

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

No need for bots - here is a layout that gets you a full express belt of circuits (30 per second). The next improvement would be to add productivity modules.
ckt final unlimited.gif
ckt final unlimited.gif (56.96 KiB) Viewed 7535 times
The base schematic is done in AutoCAD. I then take a screen shot and paste into Paint. Crop it and then save it as a GIF.

If you have AutoCAD you can use the dynamic blocks I developed. There is a link to the dropbox location on this thread - "As well as the enormous main base schematic" https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... tic#p39262

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Wow, I haven't expected that. I sadly don't have autocad, but it's nice to know this thing is around.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

DerivePi wrote:The base schematic is done in AutoCAD. I then take a screen shot and paste into Paint. Crop it and then save it as a GIF.
Are you using WIndows 7/8.x?

If so then there's a build in Snipping Tool (It's called like that) in those Windows Versions that allows you to save a particular area of your current view directly as .jpg or .png without the need to open Paint at all.

Return to “General discussion”