[MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX (DISCONTINUED)

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.13+] Treefarm REDUX

Post by XyLe »

I played with the new version for a while and i must say that I like all the changes very much.

This mod is very well balanced now in my opinion. I'm thinking maybe with more research tiers there should be a different ratio in "coal->coke" recipe, i'm thinking 12:10 should fit well. To make it fair having better and more compact fuel source. Because before you could only have 10:2 ratio on "charcoal->coal" transformation, so you needed something to make up for it at least a little bit. And now you can research better 10:4 recipe, so it kind of does that job even better. I'd definitely go for that adjustment too and see how it works out.

Rocket turrets are amazing) like them a lot. Although having no rocket in the rocket recipe makes it look a little weird. If the recipe was "capsule + glue + rocket" that would make perfect sense to me, even though it would be kind of expensive. The way i see it is you have to glue the capsule to the rocket and then put that thing in a turret. Otherwise you just do what - cover a capsule with glue and fire it? :)

Testing rocket turrets in combat tells me that they fire too often. Next poison rocket shoots when the previous poison is still acting and killing enemies. Which is quite wasteful considering the recipe change i'd suggest to make for respective rockets. Slowdown rockets are harder to test in that regard because it kind of depends on the amount of enemies and how spread out they are, but i definitely like that those rockets are homing, that makes sense to me.

So I suggest to make them fire less often. Both types of rockets can fire at the same ratio, that will not be a problem, if the cooldown between the shots could match the time of poison capsule. This way turrets gonna shoot another rocket as soon as the previous poison rocket stops working.

Thank you once again for all the great work you've done! this mod is truly outstanding.

Crusha
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Crusha »

Can anyone me help ? I have no resin at in my new game. Trees dont drop this.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

What do you need resin for? why do you think treefarm should give you resin?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Thx for your feedback Xyle!
There will be a small update in the following days (not sure when, but definetly before saturday) that will address some of your points.
Crusha wrote:Can anyone me help ? I have no resin at in my new game. Trees dont drop this.
Rubber- (and Sulfur-) trees are from dytech. You can craft new seeds from resin (or sulfur-wood), although I don't know how you get the initial seeds to start the production...

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

drs9999 wrote:Thx for your feedback Xyle!
There will be a small update in the following days (not sure when, but definetly before saturday) that will address some of your points.
That would be great! But i've reconsidered something in that regard. Gonna share my thoughts here:

Poison/slowdown capsules are not homing by default in vanilla game. They take green circuits to be made.

If you go for a recipe i've suggested and make your awesome rockets have respective_capsule+glue+normal_rocket as components you probably should include 1 processing unit in the recipes because what else would make your rockets homing? I don't know what it can be other than processing units. Normal rockets also use just green circuitry so that doesn't feel reasonable.

So my suggestion for the recipe is : poison/slow rocket = poison/slow capsule + glue + rocket + processing unit. It feels expensive i admit but what are you gonna do... this is not a cave man's tech.. those rockets are pretty powerful. Shouldn't be too OP.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

XyLe wrote: Poison/slowdown capsules are not homing by default in vanilla game. They take green circuits to be made.
Capsules don't, but vanilla rockets do, so I don't see a reason to requiere (another) expensive component as ingriedent, besides the rocket.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

They kinda do, so i guess you're right ;)

I wasn't sure about that and had to double check, i never use rocket launchers when i play

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Just updated treefarm-lite and -ac.

The treefarm-lite update fixes the annoying not-valid entity bug, that apperead sometimes if you mined/destroyed a field.

The treefarm-ac update includes only minor changes. The shooting speed of rocket-turrets was decreased to avoid wasting precious poison-/slowdown-rockets. Also the recipe of said rockets changed. They now requiere a (normal) rocket. And finally there is a new gfx for the biolab (made by YuokiTani)

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Just uploaded new lite and AC versions.

In the lite-version I changed the field-placing code. Trees won't block the placement of fields anymore.

In AC I fixed that the cokery's collison box was rotatable, while placing it, which led to confusion, because it wasn't represented visually.

Enjoy

Tivec
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tivec »

Just a very quick question - is there a way to alleviate the "popping" of the fields as they are close to the upper edge of the screen?

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

A little update of the translation in my dropbox folder. It corresponds to adding the mod-prefix to internal names. Thanks

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Treefarm REDUX

Post by drs9999 »

Ported everything to Factorio 0.12. Dl-Links can be found in OP.
Enjoy.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Topic moved to Mods for 0.12 ‹ New Items, Entities, Extensions (0.12)
Drs999, would you please update your first post with the template you'll find here ? It would help us keep the mod section clean and tidy.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

The download procedure for this mod is extremely bizarre. Each link (2 different downloads, one AFAIK dependent on another) takes me to a storage web page where I have to click on a button, then wait for that server to get its ass in gear which seems to not actually happen - instead I get an Adobe Flash screen where I have to right-click to get anything to happen, but when I do right-click, nothing appears to happen.

Good thing I have anti-virus software running!

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Peter34 wrote:The download procedure for this mod is extremely bizarre. Each link (2 different downloads, one AFAIK dependent on another) takes me to a storage web page where I have to click on a button, then wait for that server to get its ass in gear which seems to not actually happen - instead I get an Adobe Flash screen where I have to right-click to get anything to happen, but when I do right-click, nothing appears to happen.

Agree. I feel like non-direct download links should be banned. Otherwise, it encourages mod authors to try to monetize through junk services like adfly.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Yeah, it took me almost 28 seconds!! oh my gosh, what an extremely tedious download... Lmao :D

https://youtu.be/SJi2cSoXx4o

imagine that, it actually made me press a button, can you believe that? big green button that says "download", it's unbearable

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Afforess wrote:
Peter34 wrote:The download procedure for this mod is extremely bizarre. Each link (2 different downloads, one AFAIK dependent on another) takes me to a storage web page where I have to click on a button, then wait for that server to get its ass in gear which seems to not actually happen - instead I get an Adobe Flash screen where I have to right-click to get anything to happen, but when I do right-click, nothing appears to happen.

Agree. I feel like non-direct download links should be banned. Otherwise, it encourages mod authors to try to monetize through junk services like adfly.
The mod developers take time out of their lives to create content for a game, a.k.a. mods.
So YOU can enjoy playing it, and the mod developers most of the time do all this for free.
So if they do an adfly link...... Who cares. Let them earn a bit of money from mods they create, so YOU can download play and enjoy.
All for the mere 30 seconds of your life as payment, just to click a simple adfly link.......jeez.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Cooolaid wrote:
Afforess wrote:

The mod developers take time out of their lives to create content for a game, a.k.a. mods.
So YOU can enjoy playing it, and the mod developers most of the time do all this for free.
So if they do an adfly link...... Who cares. Let them earn a bit of money from mods they create, so YOU can download play and enjoy.
All for the mere 30 seconds of your life as payment, just to click a simple adfly link.......jeez.
Your premise is right, but your argument is wrong. I am a software developer myself, and I am maintaining factorio mods, so I do know what modding is like. I do think mod developers deserve to be rewarded for their efforts, if they so choose. There are proper, right, ways to do this: Patreon, Donation sites. Or straight out charging for mods. But using services like adfly, is wrong. Adfly preys on users, its advertisements prey on the unwary and distribute malware, viruses to users. Mediafire is little better.

Let me guess - you want to tell me, users should use adblock. Now you are contributing to the problem of why ads no longer work to pay for content on the web. Great solution, to download some person's game mod, a user should block all advertisements everywhere on the web, and contribute to the growing adblock problem.

Or, maybe developers should just be required to stick to direct links to their mod, and this entire argument could be avoided.

Edit: I want to be clear, I am not accusing the Treefarm developer of anything. This argument is a tangent and perhaps should be moved to a separate discussion.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

drs9999 wrote:Ported everything to Factorio 0.12. Dl-Links can be found in OP.
Enjoy.
The question is - are you gonna update your turrets too? :)

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Koub wrote:Topic moved to Mods for 0.12 ‹ New Items, Entities, Extensions (0.12)
Drs999, would you please update your first post with the template you'll find here ? It would help us keep the mod section clean and tidy.
Well, that's why I haven't asked to move the thread (yet), because I'm too lazy to adapt the new scheme ;)

Everything about downloads
My short and honest response: I don't care, take it or leave it.

XyLe wrote:
drs9999 wrote:Ported everything to Factorio 0.12. Dl-Links can be found in OP.
Enjoy.
The question is - are you gonna update your turrets too? :)
What's wrong with it (in the latest release)?

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”