Everyone loves the trains in Factorio - right?

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Everyone loves the trains in Factorio - right?

Post by HeilTec »

Some may know this already, but just for the record: I really like trains

On my latest big map I built trains - not because they were needed (at first,) but just because I wanted to, and building the loading and unloading has some nice possibilities.

Iron loading at the iron mines.
Repairpacks are supplied from the front waggon, having filtered cargo slots.

Iron and copper unloading. Use smart inserters to just take the ores.
Repairpacks sent to mining outpost in front waggon having filtered cargo slots.

I set the images up in an imgur album for easy reference and inspiration for any train lovers that does have time for that. (Pun entirely intentional) :mrgreen:
:
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Everyone loves the trains in Factorio - right?

Post by Boogieman14 »

I'll see your stations and raise you some :lol:

Loader (actually an outdated design, I started using two-sided loading because of the increased stacksize of Bob's mods):

Unloader:
All this feeds into a sorting setup, so I don't care what ore is in the wagons.

Using the third wagon for supplies (walls, turrets, repairs, empty barrels, sometimes a bunch of plates for emergency crafting). Especially with spitters, I'm getting laser turrets blow up quite frequently, so the outpost has smart inserters to keep about 10 of each on site.

I'll generate a Factorio Maps output tonight of the entire network.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

aXa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aXa »

I love train too =D To enhance the train experience, I usually put the resources size and richness to small and low, as well as medium frequency so I have to build trains very fast and very far ^^

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I always play with RSO, which causes the resources to be rather big and rich, but very far apart. In many games, I'm rushing to radars and solar panels so I can park a bunch of self sufficient radars out in the wilds to scan for my next resource patches.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

Boogieman14 wrote:I'll see your stations and raise you some :lol:

Loader (actually an outdated design, I started using two-sided loading because of the increased stacksize of Bob's mods):

Unloader:
All this feeds into a sorting setup, so I don't care what ore is in the wagons.

Using the third wagon for supplies (walls, turrets, repairs, empty barrels, sometimes a bunch of plates for emergency crafting). Especially with spitters, I'm getting laser turrets blow up quite frequently, so the outpost has smart inserters to keep about 10 of each on site.

I'll generate a Factorio Maps output tonight of the entire network.

for the sorting facility, how do you not care where the different ores go?

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Smart inserters, MANY smart inserters

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

LordFedora wrote:Smart inserters, MANY smart inserters
That about sums it up :)

I made a foreman blueprint of some sorter I made, it's in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 516#p50907

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

Boogieman14 wrote:
LordFedora wrote:Smart inserters, MANY smart inserters
That about sums it up :)

I made a foreman blueprint of some sorter I made, it's in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 516#p50907
Ya i noticed your other thread the other day too.

I was only asking because the above pic of your sorting facility has only fast inserters so i was just curious at what point do you separate the ores. Trying to wrap my mind around it anyhow haha.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Urbs wrote:I was only asking because the above pic of your sorting facility has only fast inserters so i was just curious at what point do you separate the ores. Trying to wrap my mind around it anyhow haha.
Ah, what you see there is just the unloader. The belts to the left feed the mixed ore into the sorting facility.

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

Boogieman14 wrote:
Urbs wrote:I was only asking because the above pic of your sorting facility has only fast inserters so i was just curious at what point do you separate the ores. Trying to wrap my mind around it anyhow haha.
Ah, what you see there is just the unloader. The belts to the left feed the mixed ore into the sorting facility.
Would you mind sharing an image of the sorting facility? Very curious hehe

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

This is my basic layout for a sorter. It is composed of the following:
- The main loop - I usually use a 4xlength loop although for smaller outposts that require sorting, a single loop (2xlength) is appropriate - the main loop usually gets upgraded to a express belt when practical
- The input - should be located at the midpoint of the main loop and should evenly feed each length of the loop with a splitter (note, the first run will lose some material at the splitters without modification - not a problem for ores)
- The sorted outputs - these outputs are sorted using smart inserters to remove "filtered" items off of the main loop and either directly on to a collector belt or into a buffer chest (shown). Some variations:
- outputs can face either direction (I have them all shown towards the right, but they can face left as easily)
- outputs can be a single inserter per loop length for small quantities of items (only loads one side of the output belt) or, for express belt outputs, a group of 4 inserters per loop length (4 lengths x 4 inserters = 16 at 2 per second to exceed the capacity of an express belt) I have shown a standard 2x4 output with room to grow.
- I have shown a buffered system that provides immediate storage for items removed from the main loop. Although not preferred, the sorter size can be reduced if the buffer storage is not desired (you will learn).

Main problem - input material must be controlled. A continued imbalance of input material may overload it's local storage capacity and jamb the sorter preventing other material from reaching the factory.
Attachments
SORTER.jpg
SORTER.jpg (103.61 KiB) Viewed 14959 times

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Could you upload a real picture of the sorter?
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

DerivePi wrote:This is my basic layout for a sorter. It is composed of the following:
- The main loop - I usually use a 4xlength loop although for smaller outposts that require sorting, a single loop (2xlength) is appropriate - the main loop usually gets upgraded to a express belt when practical
- The input - should be located at the midpoint of the main loop and should evenly feed each length of the loop with a splitter (note, the first run will lose some material at the splitters without modification - not a problem for ores)
- The sorted outputs - these outputs are sorted using smart inserters to remove "filtered" items off of the main loop and either directly on to a collector belt or into a buffer chest (shown). Some variations:
- outputs can face either direction (I have them all shown towards the right, but they can face left as easily)
- outputs can be a single inserter per loop length for small quantities of items (only loads one side of the output belt) or, for express belt outputs, a group of 4 inserters per loop length (4 lengths x 4 inserters = 16 at 2 per second to exceed the capacity of an express belt) I have shown a standard 2x4 output with room to grow.
- I have shown a buffered system that provides immediate storage for items removed from the main loop. Although not preferred, the sorter size can be reduced if the buffer storage is not desired (you will learn).

Main problem - input material must be controlled. A continued imbalance of input material may overload it's local storage capacity and jamb the sorter preventing other material from reaching the factory.
wow looks great. Will try something like that today to see how it works. Thank you for sharing!

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

I have created something very similar to DerivePi. It works really well. I added more insterters and buffers as the few in the original plan just was not enough.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

So i herd you like trains so heres my main trainyard for you, Supplies my entire factory

http://i.imgur.com/1q5NGVY.png?1

Last edited by Darthlawsuit on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Freddie612
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Freddie612 »

Hey, I'd like to show you my train systems on my map, I have trains pulling 10 cargo wagons
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 16.12.04.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 16.12.04.png (351.3 KiB) Viewed 14822 times

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

I will be honest, nearly all train stations benefit from having their own logistic bot network and a pile of drones to do the sorting/loading across the tracks. it saves a LOT of space and brainpower (at the cost of the up-front resources and electrical power). The two go together like peanutbutter and jelly because of the extremely short distance.

Sadly, my particular flavor of OCD makes it really hard for me to comprehend the space it takes for a proper train station. I build things so close together without thinking >.<

Return to “Show your Creations”