[>= 0.17.73] GCKI -- Gizmos Car Keys (improved)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[>= 0.17.73] GCKI -- Gizmos Car Keys (improved)

Post by Pi-C »

I've uploaded the first version of GCKI about a month ago. Now, after fixing some bugs, adding new features, testing, fixing newly introduced bugs, breaking the mod while trying to make it fit for use in multiplayer games, more bugfixing and adding of features, and doing some more testing (thanks to Dragonling for acting as external tester!), I believe the mod is stable enough to present it here.

This mod makes use of some features recently added to Factorio (teleporting cars across surfaces, setting the color of cars, setting weapons control to driver or passenger), so you'll need Factorio 0.17.73 or later to use it!
MODPORTAL DESCRIPTION
SCREENSHOTS
Last edited by Pi-C on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [>= 0.17.73] GCKI -- Gizmos Car Keys (improved)

Post by Pi-C »

SOME MORE SCREENSHOTS
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Update (0.17.11):
  • Bumped dependency on base mod to >=0.17.75.
  • Use the event filtering mechanism introduced in Factorio 0.17.75. This should improve performance as the mod now ignores events it doesn't need to know about.
  • Fixes that a dummy character is left on the surface if a vehicle controlled by Autodrive is destroyed. (That's actually a bug of Autodrive, and I'll remove the fix once the bug has been fixed there.)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Updates:
VERSION 0.17.12

VERSION 0.17.13

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

VERSION 0.17.14

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Version 0.18.1:
- Quick update of info.json so the mod works with Factorio 0.18

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I've just uploaded a major update, quickly followed by a first bugfix release. :oops: Here are the latest changes:
GCKI 1.1.2
GCKI 1.1.3
Please report any other bugs you may find -- and most of all, have a lot of fun with the new version! :-)

Xenophore
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenophore »

Just to let you know I've encountered a crash when opening an existing save with GCKI 1.1.3 and Nullius 1.5.22, error message given below. Let me know if you need a save file. (do you prefer bug reports here or on the mod portal?)

Code: Select all

The mod Gizmos Car Keys (improved) (1.1.3) caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event GCKI::on_configuration_changed
__GCKI__/scripts/event_handlers.lua:795: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	__GCKI__/scripts/event_handlers.lua:795: in function 'on_configuration_changed'
	__GCKI__/control.lua:140: in function <__GCKI__/control.lua:138>

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Xenophore wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:57 am
Just to let you know I've encountered a crash when opening an existing save with GCKI 1.1.3 and Nullius 1.5.22, error message given below.
Thanks for the report! One crash on loading has already been reported, but I'd feel bad when I'd upload a new version where I just removed two duplicate lines from a locale file. Now that there is another bug, updating doesn't look as if I was trying to artificially boost the number of downloads. :mrgreen:
Let me know if you need a save file.
I always appreciate getting saved games! Even if they may not be necessary to fix the symptoms (judging from your bug report, I'd just need to check whether a certain table exists before accessing it), I might find out the reason why the table wasn't valid when I turn on debugging and see what functions where called with what arguments in your particular setup. Also, by syncing the mods on loading there's a good chance that I'll get mods I didn't know about before. It has happened several times already that I've found new bugs before they were reported -- and sometimes I've even found completely unrelated bugs after adding one of the other mods I maintain!
(do you prefer bug reports here or on the mod portal?)
Both are OK with me. The forum has one advantage, though: You can attach files directly, if they are not too big!

__GCKI__/scripts/event_handlers.lua:795: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
OK, I'll try to fix that ASAP! However, given the time of the year, I won't have too much time for the next few days.

Also, given the time of the season, I'd like to wish a merry Christmas (or happy holidays, if you don't celebrate that) to you and all the others reading this! :-)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:59 pm
OK, I'll try to fix that ASAP!
I couldn't reproduce the bug. But If you comment out line 795 of __GCKI__/scripts/event_handlers.lua (it's just dumping the value of a variable to the log file), are there any more crashes?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Pi-C wrote:
updating doesn't look as if I was trying to artificially boost the number of downloads.
Don't worry, for the last year multiple downloads from the same user (same version and different versions) have been deduplicated when calculating the total downloads number, so updating frequently doesn't boost the number of downloads (although I guess it does still get you more visibility by being in "Recently updated"...) :)
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Xorimuth wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:17 am
Pi-C wrote:
updating doesn't look as if I was trying to artificially boost the number of downloads.
Don't worry, for the last year multiple downloads from the same user (same version and different versions) have been deduplicated
Thanks! I knew that multiple downloads by the same user would be counted just once, but I thought that would only apply to downloads of the same version.

Anachrony
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anachrony »

Xorimuth wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:17 am
Don't worry, for the last year multiple downloads from the same user (same version and different versions) have been deduplicated when calculating the total downloads number, so updating frequently doesn't boost the number of downloads (although I guess it does still get you more visibility by being in "Recently updated"...) :)
Oddly, I've observed a bigger impact on unique total downloads from when the "trending" value goes positive than from being recently updated per se. On the mod portal, recently updated is the default, and trending isn't great to browse because it doesn't let you break it up into categories. But the in-game mod portal defaults to sorting by trending, and it does let you break it up by categories and still sort by trending. So my theory is that a ton of players are discovering mods through searching the in-game, even though in my opinion it doesn't seem like as good of an interface for finding new mods.

Of course these factors are not unrelated. The existing users updating to a new version does count for the daily/monthly downloads graph, which is what is used for the trending statistic. So after a long period without updates, a new update is pretty much guaranteed to result in it trending within the next day or two.

Xenophore
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenophore »

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:51 am
Pi-C wrote:
OK, I'll try to fix that ASAP!
I couldn't reproduce the bug. But If you comment out line 795 of __GCKI__/scripts/event_handlers.lua (it's just dumping the value of a variable to the log file), are there any more crashes?
Removing line 795 fixed it, but after saving and quitting, putting in back in didn't break it. I can't reproduce the bug with the save now, and a new save always worked, so apologies - I should have backed up the broken save.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Xenophore wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:27 am
Removing line 795 fixed it, but after saving and quitting, putting in back in didn't break it. I can't reproduce the bug with the save now, and a new save always worked, so apologies - I should have backed up the broken save.
After you've saved the game, the configuration didn't change again, so on_configuration_changed wasn't entered and the code couldn't break. You could try to add or remove a mod, then it the event would be triggered again. :-)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Xenophore wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:57 am
Just to let you know I've encountered a crash when opening an existing save with GCKI 1.1.3 and Nullius 1.5.22, error message given below.
Fixed in version 1.1.4.
GCKI 1.1.4

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Some bugfixes:
GCKI 1.1.5

Some new stuff:
GCKI 1.1.6

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Small bugfix:
GCKI 1.1.7

A bunch of changes under the hood:
GCKI 1.1.8

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Again, there are some minor versions I've skipped so far:
GCKI 1.1.9 and 1.1.10

In the latest update, I've finally cleaned up some bugs that had gone unnoticed for a long time. Additionally, I've implemented a new feature allowing you to adjust the orientation of summoned vehicles to the player character's orientation. This makes it easy to place vehicles on roads with walls left and right.
GCKI 1.1.11

Return to “Mods”