Version 1.1.71

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 1.1.71

Post by FactorioBot »

Minor Features
  • Added preferred audio device output setting.
  • Added the current binary architecture to the main menu version string.
Optimizations
  • Added native support for M1 Macs.
Bugfixes
  • Fixed a crash when canceling deconstruction of a pipe to ground while the GUI was open. (103728)
  • Fixed entity ghosts would draw wires even if prototype of inner entity disabled it. (103765)
  • Fixed incorrect panning of CyclicSound (for example, flamethrower turret's stream sound). (103865)
  • Fixed that ScriptRendering requested string localisation during on_init when it was not available. (103745)
  • Fixed Generator tooltip ignoring fluid emissions multiplier. (103847)
  • Fixed that teleporting cars between surfaces would create the build effect smoke. (103972)
  • Fixed a crash related to undoing mining of another forces entities after the other force had been deleted. (103966)
  • Fixed it was possible to acquire forbidden items in the Transport belt madness levels. (103331)
  • Fixed that linked-belt was missing from the collision mask defaults. (103849)
  • Removed 'Fuel emissions' label from Burner info panel. (103942)
  • Fixed that expansion parties could destroy spidertrons while building new bases. (103872)
Modding
  • Added Alt reverse selection support for selection tools. (102470)
Scripting
  • Added LuaGuiElement::close_dropdown().
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

Shuisman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Version 1.1.71

Post by Shuisman »

FactorioBot wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:13 pm
Wow! That’s fantastic! Does it use metal?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Shuisman wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:38 pm
FactorioBot wrote:
No, still on openGL.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Xorimuth wrote:
Shuisman wrote:
FactorioBot wrote:
No, still on openGL.
Still nice. Need to try it, how it performs graphically

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

jodokus31 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 pm
Xorimuth wrote:
Shuisman wrote:
FactorioBot wrote:
No, still on openGL.
Not sure about relative graphics performance but I’m getting ~20% UPS improvements.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Xorimuth wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 pm
Xorimuth wrote:
Shuisman wrote:
FactorioBot wrote:
No, still on openGL.
Not sure about relative graphics performance but I’m getting ~20% UPS improvements.
I never used my M1 for factorio so far, because it's rather dedicated to something else. But it seems to get a valid option now and it might beat my 5600X. At least, when graphics on OpenGL are fine enough. OpenGL on Linux is a bit stuttery sometimes.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:42 pm
OpenGL on Linux is a bit stuttery sometimes.
that's actually an issue with Xorg, which goes away in Wayland (to be replaced with other issues, especially in hybrid graphics systems, e.g. laptops)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

FactorioBot wrote:
Optimizations
weird, almost like everyone in the thread asking for it and saying how easy it would be, was correct

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:06 pm
FactorioBot wrote:
Optimizations
weird, almost like everyone in the thread asking for it and saying how easy it would be, was correct
How do you know it was easy?
My mods

sedroc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sedroc »

FactorioBot wrote:
Optimizations
Thank you. Factorio now runs much faster. However, I seems like that the Steam beta version for 1.1.71 is not a universal binary and only runs in x86_64 mode, while the full download from the website is a universal binary and runs as arm64. Anyone else having this issue?

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Xorimuth wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:31 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:06 pm
FactorioBot wrote:
Optimizations
If you take the switch support as a given, I'm inclined to agree with "easy". Without it however... FFF370 puts it at at least three month, after that the article becomes unclear on how much time was for general ARM support (e.g. multiplayer, the paragraph about undefined behavior) instead of switch specific things (e.g. performance, UI, controller support). The next time point mentioned is six month as "fully playable". The truth is probably somewhere in-between. The FFF goes on to list things that were done in the following year, but those sound switch or Nintendo related to me, rather than necessities for ARM support.
So, was it easy? It certainly was more effort than some people made it sound.

Other projects can get away with not caring about all the little details that end up breaking factorio's determinism. E.g. at work I was tasked with porting our product to ARM. I ended up having to fix two or three compile errors; including time spent on the build system it took about three or four days.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:05 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:42 pm
OpenGL on Linux is a bit stuttery sometimes.
that's actually an issue with Xorg, which goes away in Wayland (to be replaced with other issues, especially in hybrid graphics systems, e.g. laptops)
I tested with Gnome on Wayland, and it's not really better there. Not sure, whats the problem, but it might be that, NVidia is not very well supported for Wayland. I guess, I just wait...I'm ok, how it works on Xorg currently

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Xorimuth wrote:
because they said they wouldn't do it, because it was too much work.

ergo, they did it because it wasn't too much work.

ipso facto, it is easy.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:47 pm
I tested with Gnome on Wayland, and it's not really better there. Not sure, whats the problem, but it might be that, NVidia is not very well supported for Wayland. I guess, I just wait...I'm ok, how it works on Xorg currently
search for my wayland troubleshooting thread and try some of the ideas there if you like, but from what i know, Nvidia uses EGLstreams for composition stream management etc, and Gnome relies on the GBM API with zero support for EGLstreams.

there this commit (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/- ... uests/2067) that seems like it was merged 11 months ago and could have fixed some issues.

but honestly from my birds eye view it looks like the APIs have subtly different behaviour and that it might not work until nvidia's GBM support itself matures: https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Lin ... E/gbm.html

currently, GBM on NVIDIA is implemented by making it into a wrapper that executes EGL calls. can't imagine that works out so well.

on the other hand, i've got a hybrid graphics Linux laptop with AMDGPU and Nvidia instead of Intel. I had really poor luck on an XPG laptop that used Intel+NVIDIA. With AMDGPU+NVIDIA, I can pump all the stuff through the AMD and get low latency, tear-free graphics output.

for the Intel+NVIDIA laptop, there was just no way I could find to get better performance because the laptop didn't have a mux chip to allow switching the LCD directly to the NVIDIA. so all the GPU stuff had to be done on the NVIDIA and then framebuffer copy over to the Intel output, which introduced a LOT of issues. you can determine this is your issue by trying to run it on external graphics display for those laptops where the HDMI port is wired directly to the discrete GPU.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:57 pm
Xorimuth wrote:
because they said they wouldn't do it, because it was too much work.

ergo, they did it because it wasn't too much work.

ipso facto, it is easy.
I think you’re treating wube as a single person when in fact it is a group of individuals. Some devs (rseding and posila iirc) stated at one point that it wasn’t currently planned because no one on the dev team was interested in putting in the work to make it happen. Not because it was “too much work”, just because it was “a non-zero amount of work” and no one at the time used macOS so no one wanted to do that work.

All that’s changed is that one person decided that it was worth it to them to put in the work to make it happen. And the M1 work may well have benefited from some of the almost-two-years worth of work put in by Twinsen for the Nintendo switch.
My mods

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Xorimuth wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:09 pm
And the M1 work may well have benefited from some of the almost-two-years worth of work put in by Twinsen for the Nintendo switch.
you mean, it made it easier to do? it didn't take 2 years for the M1, like it did for the Switch.

i think you believe i'm insulting Wube by saying it was easy. that's not what I'm doing.

the employees who didn't want to do it, didn't want to spend the time on it. obviously, someone redid the math and found out it's a lot easier to do, without draining too much time/resources.

everything they do has an opportunity cost.

peternlewis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peternlewis »

FactorioBot wrote:
Optimizations
Thanks so much for doing this!

urmet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by urmet »

hope for actually seeing an arm64 headless linux build one day is increasing

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:05 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:47 pm
search for my wayland troubleshooting thread and try some of the ideas there if you like, but from what i know, Nvidia uses EGLstreams for composition stream management etc, and Gnome relies on the GBM API with zero support for EGLstreams.

there this commit (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/- ... uests/2067) that seems like it was merged 11 months ago and could have fixed some issues.

but honestly from my birds eye view it looks like the APIs have subtly different behaviour and that it might not work until nvidia's GBM support itself matures: https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Lin ... E/gbm.html

currently, GBM on NVIDIA is implemented by making it into a wrapper that executes EGL calls. can't imagine that works out so well.

on the other hand, i've got a hybrid graphics Linux laptop with AMDGPU and Nvidia instead of Intel. I had really poor luck on an XPG laptop that used Intel+NVIDIA. With AMDGPU+NVIDIA, I can pump all the stuff through the AMD and get low latency, tear-free graphics output.

for the Intel+NVIDIA laptop, there was just no way I could find to get better performance because the laptop didn't have a mux chip to allow switching the LCD directly to the NVIDIA. so all the GPU stuff had to be done on the NVIDIA and then framebuffer copy over to the Intel output, which introduced a LOT of issues. you can determine this is your issue by trying to run it on external graphics display for those laptops where the HDMI port is wired directly to the discrete GPU.
Thanks for the infos
I rechecked, with Gnome on Wayland, which is installed in parallel. It doesn't work any better there. Last time, I also had this flipping around, that the loading bar looked like loading backwards. But its gotten a lot better than last time. But still sometimes it is stuttery and not really fluid. The "use-flip-presentation-model" didn't do anything for me. Since, I'm not so familar with Gnome, I also rather wait, until they add Wayland support to XFCE4, but I was just curious, if wayland is such an eyeopener as hoped.
This is the thread you are referring I assume:
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=102650
According to posila, there is still some work to do regarding SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland
I cannot claim, that I have too much knowledge of all this stuff, though

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:08 am
I rechecked, with Gnome on Wayland, which is installed in parallel. It doesn't work any better there. Last time, I also had this flipping around, that the loading bar looked like loading backwards. But its gotten a lot better than last time.
you should try a KDE Plasma environment, though i can understand not wanting to put all that on a Gnome system.

Return to “Releases”