Reducing the number of categories

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Reducing the number of categories

Post by Sanqui »

Hey,
I think the number of categories on the mod portal is too high. People are often not sure which one to choose because their mod fits multiple, and few people actually browse the categories. As a part of a wider discoverability improvement plan, I propose the following new categories:
  • Overhaul - large total conversion mods
  • Content - mods introducing new content into the game
  • Tweaks - small changes concering balance or gameplay
  • Utilities - mods concerning GUI, language, and various tools which don't change gameplay
  • Scenarios - scenarios, maps, and puzzles
  • Libraries - lua libraries for use by other mods
  • Internal - submods that are parts of a larger mod (not shown, for mod developers)
Please let me know if these look about right to you :)
ovo

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Reducing the number of categories

Post by disentius »

Good initiative:)
I think the categories Library and Internal can be joined. Non-modmaking players do not need to search on libraries.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hmm, hard decision. I can see the appeal to both methods.

With the current method, I have often at times used like the Oil or Train filters to find mods that are specifically about that. But, there are a lot of categories and they're really not all encompassing as is, nor are there general categories for mods that stretch across more than one category.

On the other hand, I know many people feel overwhelmed when presented with multiple decisions, so the reduced category counts would be beneficial to them, and would help those with mods that don't neatly fit into one of the existing categories. However, this would make it harder to search for mods on specific subjects, especially if that subject can have multiple terms that may or may not be used in it (ie, trains, locomotives, cargo wagons, rails, etc). This is also assuming the searcher can handle singular vs plural terms, even ones where the word actually changes spelling vs just having an "s" added to it.

I think adding the categories as suggested in the OP is certainly good, but I'm not sure about it being at the expense of removing the existing.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd probably set it up as a category and subcategory system.
  • Categories would be as presented in the OP, general encompassing terms. Modders would only be able to select 1 category for their mod.
  • Subcategories would be like the existing list, more specific pieces. Modders would be able to select multiple of these for their mod.
I would then clean up the category buttons at the top and consolidate them into 2 drop downs, a "Category" and "Subcategory". It'd make it cleaner/neater, and potentially not seem as overwhelming. Then users searching for mods can just filter on a category, and if they want the finer level, the subcategory.
(Edit: As pointed out by someone else, the "subcategories" I mention above may be more appropriately named "tags".)

disentius wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:53 am
I think the categories Library and Internal can be joined. Non-modmaking players do not need to search on libraries.
I agree with this.
Last edited by FuryoftheStars on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I think there are in essence three problems with the current categories:
  • large overlap (Non-Game-changing/Utility/Helper Mods/Blueprints)
  • unnecessary distinction (Oil)
  • ambiguity (Balancing, Environment)
My problem with the proposed categories is, that it completely removes the ability to distinguish the type of gameplay changed/feature added. From the perspective of someone looking for a mod that e.g.: makes combat more challenging/adds logistic challenges/changes map generation/adds more powerful weapons... They would all end up searching in the same pool of mods: The categories "Content" and "Tweaks".

I'd instead propose to summarize existing categories e.g.: weapons+enemies+defense = Combat, Oil+mining+Power Production = Production, etc... Some will be tricky but I believe it is possible and those categories will be way more useful for those actually looking for mods.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Looking at the list I'd still have no idea where to put RSO. It's not an Overhaul or Content mod but I think it might chage to much to be considered a Tweaks mod.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I think this is a good idea and the categories make sense to me. Imo the biggest issue with the current system is that you can't add more than one category. I would suggest that tags get added. They could be things like trains, oil, weapons, mining etc (the categories you want to get rid of basically). Overhaul mods could then have multiple tags that give an overview which part of the gameplay they change.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

I find the idea that you can categorize mods into exactly one of a set of categories to be rather problematic. What category would you put a mod that adds content, tweaks existing gameplay, adds utilities, and scenarios, and act as a library for other mods to use?

There simply doesn't exist a set of categories which are both usefully specific enough for finding content from them and are also all mutually exclusive. As a modder I feel like I'm forced to choose whatever is the least wrong category to put my mod into rather than the categories that fit my mod. As a player I feel like I can't search through mods using the categories because while I might be looking for a weapons mod, the mod I'd want may have been categorized as an enemies mod since it's got more enemy content. I also can't use the categories to get an idea of what content a mod has by looking at its category since more than half of its content might better fit other categories and the author of the mod chose whichever category fit the most content in the mod.

Will you please consider using tags instead of categories? The crucial difference being that a mod can have multiple tags instead of exactly one. That way when you see a mod tagged Defence, Weapons, Armor, and Enemies you can easily tell the broad overview of what content it has. And when you search for weapons you'll find all the mods that add weapons instead of just the mods that only adds weapons.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm
Honestly, if it were me, I'd probably set it up as a category and subcategory system.
  • Categories would be as presented in the OP, general encompassing terms. Modders would only be able to select 1 category for their mod.
  • Subcategories would be like the existing list, more specific pieces. Modders would be able to select multiple of these for their mod.
I would then clean up the category buttons at the top and consolidate them into 2 drop downs, a "Category" and "Subcategory". It'd make it cleaner/neater, and potentially not seem as overwhelming. Then users searching for mods can just filter on a category, and if they want the finer level, the subcategory.
Agreed, although your subcategories would be better being called 'tags'. Having both categories and tags could work but I'm inclined to say that it would be redundant, and the mod portal would be better off with just tags.

I personally like the distinction between Libraries and Internal, but they should both be equally hidden or deprioritised from trending/popular/etc.

Another issue I have is with the Scenarios category. Scenarios have a precise in-game meaning (a pre-defined map with control-stage scripting), whereas a mod like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TheFloorIsLavaRevival could be described similarly but doesn't actually contain a scenario. I'm not sure if the name should be changed so that it can encompass both actual scenarios and pseudo-scenarios, or if the latter should have its own category?

If you are not switching to tags then I think that list looks great. It seems to me that mods would rarely fall into 2 categories from the list that you've mentioned, as one is often a superset of the other. Where would you expect https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DiscoScience or other graphics-only mods to go? Presumably Utilities but I wonder if a new category would be appropriate.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Xorimuth wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:01 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm
Agreed, although your subcategories would be better being called 'tags'. Having both categories and tags could work but I'm inclined to say that it would be redundant, and the mod portal would be better off with just tags.
Ah, so is that what kids these days are calling it? ;P lol Yes, agreed, if that's the more appropriate term, then it should be tags. :)
Xorimuth wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:01 pm
If you are not switching to tags then I think that list looks great. It seems to me that mods would rarely fall into 2 categories from the list that you've mentioned, as one is often a superset of the other. Where would you expect https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DiscoScience or other graphics-only mods to go? Presumably Utilities but I wonder if a new category would be appropriate.
Hmm, maybe a "Graphics Only"?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

tags>categories
tags+categories= better

UkcsAlias
Inserter
Inserter

Post by UkcsAlias »

Loewchen wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:13 pm
  • ambiguity (Balancing, Environment)
Even though balancing can mean many things, there are still key elements that take place in them, which often can be handled using tags:
Infinite resources is a balance aspect, just like removing it on oil. These are very clear balance changes. Adjusting biter damage and having more late game biters is again a balancing aspect. Its down to tags to identify the change on that.

Easier/Harder on that wouldnt even describe it because certain changes that some might find easier can create other conflicts: infinite resources with heavy polution modifiers can cause an excessive amount of biters to attack. Especialy when you only have a mining rate of 10%, as that generates a lot of polution for the resources, while restricting expansion speed a lot. Balancing covers such mods perfectly as its the only tag that realy shows what it does.

For the example you gave, you would end up with tags like logistics, combat, map generation, enemies, weapons. Which is fine. And yes, i am aware that combat is most likely going to be combined with enemies and weapons a lot on that. But thats exactly why tags works. Some want all combat modifiers, some only new weapons or better biters.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

Hi, thanks for all the feedback! We're close to finalizing a minor overhaul in how categories work. As suggested, mods will now have a single category helping classify them, and multiple tags according to the content of the mod. The following categories are planned:
  • Content: Mods introducing new content into the game.
  • Overhaul: Large total conversion mods.
  • Tweaks: Small changes concerning balance or gameplay.
  • Utilities: Mods concerning GUI, language, and various tools which don't change gameplay.
  • Scenarios: Scenarios, maps, and puzzles.
  • Mod packs: Collections of mods with tweaks to make them work together.
  • Localizations: Translations for other mods.
  • Internal: Lua libraries for use by other mods and submods that are parts of a larger mod.
In addition, a mod will be able to have any number of the following tags:
Transportation, Logistics, Trains, Combat, Armor, Enemies, Environment, Mining, Oil, Logistic network, Circuit network, Manufacture, Power production, Storage, Blueprints, Cheats

Automatic conversion will drop current mods into appropriate categories, and mods with a category matching any of the new tags will fall into the "Content" category and get the tag. Of course, mod authors are free to change these at any time.

Think something is missing? Let us know :)
ovo

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

For me as a mod user, not a mod programmer, it's not clear what a tag "Cheats" would mean. One way or the other, every mod is a cheat. It's so unclear, I even cannot provide an alternative name.

If it means increasing limits, for example stack sizes or storage or inventory slots, or providing entities that do the same as existing entities but are smaller, faster, or use less resources, it's a bit of an overlap to the Tweaks category. What someone like me considers a Tweak, someone else might consider a cheat, or the other way round.
A faster assembling machine than 3 - Manufacture or Cheat?
One of the infinity loaders/chests - Utility, Content, Cheat, Transportation, Logistics?

If I want some functionality and check if there is a mod for it, I use categories/tags to filter/narrow down a list of candidates instead of a search, then looking through that list, because modders tend to give non descriptive names and descriptions, so you cannot search for them. A tag "Cheats" is not helpful, because it doesn't narrow down anything. It would be somewhat helpful, if one can explicitly exclude tags from a search. I would often search for tweaks and utilities, but not want cheats.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Perhaps change “Power production” to just “Power”, or add “Power distribution” as well? For things like new power poles, Power Overload, Fluidic Power, Transformators.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

Dear mod authors, thank you for you suggestions! New tags and categories are now live on the Mod Portal. Please check if you're happy with the category your mod got assigned and feel free to add any number of tags which you feel suit your mod! Should you feel like any tags are missing, their addition can be arranged.
ovo

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

GUI would be a helpful tag for mods adding just a GUI for help, recipe search, asf

Edit:
Perhaps better to just call the tag Interface, so it also includes mods only adding hotkeys without visual elements.

heyqule
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by heyqule »

This feels like the tag system can be abused to make mods to show up on all tags, even tho mod packs do touch all aspects of the game. But imaging many mod packs do this, it could easily flush the new content away.

Another suggest I have is to accept filtering on both category and tag. Right now the page can only filter one or the other.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (187.38 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

It's a good idea overall I think.
Sanqui wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:40 am
  • Internal - submods that are parts of a larger mod (not shown, for mod developers)
Can you give some good examples how differentiating between these 2 categories makes any sense?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Nexarius wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:53 am
It's a good idea overall I think.
Sanqui wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:40 am
Can you give some good examples how differentiating between these 2 categories makes any sense?
Libraries wasn't added, only Internal (which includes libraries). If you were to distinguish, then https://mods.factorio.com/mod/flib would be in Libraries because it is used my multiple mods. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/space-exp ... n-graphics would be in Internal because it is used by a single other mod. But we don't have to distinguish because Libraries was dropped :)
My mods

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Sanqui wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:49 am
Dear mod authors, thank you for you suggestions! New tags and categories are now live on the Mod Portal. Please check if you're happy with the category your mod got assigned and feel free to add any number of tags which you feel suit your mod! Should you feel like any tags are missing, their addition can be arranged.
I'll be really honest and direct here - I feel like the tags thing is a visual mess and an overload of trivial information. As a mod author I don't think I can be bothered with it. When searching for mods myself, I'm always going to use the text field instead of browsing by tag, because if for some reason I wanted (e.g.) a list of mods which provide "fluids", I can't rely on every mod author to have selected that tag, so I'm still going to search by text field keyword anyhow. I would prefer fewer or no tags, and definitely not adding even more.

Within a couple of days there are already mods which have added literally every tag, cluttering the listings and breaking the results flow (there isn't enough horizontal width on a mod result for every tag and the "source code / downloads" section gets bumped to bottom left instead of being on the right). The search bar at the top of the mod list is also messier now with the long lopsided list of tags, the list of categories, and the dropdown for version, with weird spacing and alignment. The mobile version of the mod portal is also worse now.

I wouldn't discount not explicitly showing tags at all anywhere other than the mod details edit page, but having them additionally searched for via the text input field instead, so that mod authors can have their mods displayed as a result without having to explicitly include those keywords in the mod name or description.

The initial aim was reduce the number of categories. That was achieved - but we also got a ton of new cruft as well, undoing all of the benefit.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”