New Feature: Allow reordering logistics requester slots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: change request location instead of 'a request for this item already exists'

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged with older topic about the same idea.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

SmetDenis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: New Feature: Allow reordering logistics requester slots

Post by SmetDenis »

Hey folks,

Well... Because since this request is stuck,
and looks like the game developers will not make the improvements, then we have to suffer in the later stages of the game.

Please, can somebody recommend a mod that can solve the issue?

Thanks in advance.

----

UPD. Btw, I've just found the pretty simple and nice mod - https://mods.factorio.com/mod/logistics_requests_sorted
It solves my issue. Anyway, I would prefer to see the native solution :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Another annoyance that goes into the same direction: You search for something and don't find it. So you try to add it and the GUI won't let you. So now you have to search again. It's frustrating when you don't spot the item.

Why not activate the existing slot when the user tries to add a duplicate. Then he can just adjust the settings.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Why not activate the existing slot when the user tries to add a duplicate. Then he can just adjust the settings.
Requests that already exist are distinguished by having a red background, giving an indication that clicking will open an existing request rather than create a new one, so I can't see why this wouldn't work well.

In this case the result of clicking to add a new request is very close to an alternate UI for logistic requests, though one that could easily be confused for the crafting tab if you don't have "Flat character GUI" enabled.

SmetDenis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SmetDenis »

mrvn wrote:
Another annoyance that goes into the same direction: You search for something and don't find it. So you try to add it and the GUI won't let you. So now you have to search again. It's frustrating when you don't spot the item.

+100!!!
Yeah. I believe it awesome idea.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:19 pm
mrvn wrote:
Requests that already exist are distinguished by having a red background, giving an indication that clicking will open an existing request rather than create a new one, so I can't see why this wouldn't work well.
No, clicking an item with red background just beeps and says the item is already requested. That's the change I suggested. Clicking should just open the existing request for editing. That the item has a red background doesn't help me find it in the long list of request slots.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

mrvn wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:56 am
SoShootMe wrote:
mrvn wrote:
No, clicking an item with red background just beeps and says the item is already requested.
Sorry, allow me to rephrase: I can't see why this wouldn't work well. One potential problem is that it could be confusing that clicking would open an existing request rather than create a new one, but this doesn't apply because items where a request already exists are distinguished by having a red background.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

mrvn wrote:
No, clicking an item with red background just beeps and says the item is already requested. That's the change I suggested. Clicking should just open the existing request for editing. That the item has a red background doesn't help me find it in the long list of request slots.
I agree, this makes sense. Ultimately it doesn't matter where in the list the request is, so long as I can see and edit it. Why not let me find it by clicking on the item and not just on the request?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

SoShootMe wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:43 am
mrvn wrote:
SoShootMe wrote:
mrvn wrote:
No, clicking an item with red background just beeps and says the item is already requested.
Sorry, allow me to rephrase: I can't see why this wouldn't work well. One potential problem is that it could be confusing that clicking would open an existing request rather than create a new one, but this doesn't apply because items where a request already exists are distinguished by having a red background.
Unless I'm remembering something wrong the only difference between an existing and new request is the values the request gets set to. So even if you forget all you get is a little surprise because the min/max values aren't what you might have expected.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

A) actually this “item already in a slot” is an extra suggestion.
Luckily it already exists:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94178 change request location / 'a request for this item already exists' / Quick rearranging of the logistics config
I would recommend to continue discussions about this problem there.

B) this idea
is also an extra suggestion. I think it does not exist yet. If someone wants to add it: do it, but my opinion to that is mixed. It’s against the general UI convention, that if I click on a new slot or drag an item on a empty slot (generally speaking if I want to create something new), it should create a new slot. I would go with this, if it would be very clear where this slot is. But this doesn’t help, if you don’t see that; it would be irritating.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:00 am
B) this idea
is also an extra suggestion. I think it does not exist yet. If someone wants to add it: do it, but my opinion to that is mixed. It’s against the general UI convention, that if I click on a new slot or drag an item on a empty slot (generally speaking if I want to create something new), it should create a new slot. I would go with this, if it would be very clear where this slot is. But this doesn’t help, if you don’t see that; it would be irritating.
But do you really want to make a new slot? Or do you just want to get some underground steel pipes because the iron pipes you have aren't long enough. Do you care which slot the requested item has or that the item gets requested at all?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You cannot know, how I use the slots. You may solve a problem, where others have none. It’s just not how these things should be developed.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 am
You cannot know, how I use the slots. You may solve a problem, where others have none. It’s just not how these things should be developed.
Right, but in this case, having a used item open its slot isn't a problem, because right now that does nothing. The item is red. If you click on it anyway, nothing happens. So with this change, if you click on a red item, you'll get the existing request. If you don't want that to happen, don't click on red items. This change doesn't seem like it'd cause a problem except maybe for colorblind people.

The request slots used to be limited, but now they're basically infinite. This is great, but it also means organization is more of a problem, because you could have dozens of rows and a given request could be anywhere.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Why you still cant drag requests around?

Post by nuhll »

I mean, this is so obv., why is that not implemented? It would be a great addition to gameplay and it would be intuitive (just left click and drag it to new position)

Is there technical limitation or hard to implement?

WHY?
If you play with mods you have unblv. much requests and you keep adding them while you play (currently im in a 300h map), since you also cant hightlight the requests (why wasnt that added btw?), it would be atleast cool if you could arrange and rearrange them on the fly e.g. small things in one corner, buildings on the bottom... you get it?

Thanks for this beautiful game! 3400hours :twisted: and still playing...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged a few threads with same or similar suggetion. And I know there are variants with other parts of the GUI (research queue, ...). Drag & Drop ability is one of the most recurring requested features in general.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

This feature request seems like such a no-brainer. +1 from me too. I so often want to drag something in the research queue.

Is there something in the graphics toolkit that makes detecting a mouse drag of icons/buttons difficult? The behavior of dragging a belt used to be like the game sees a mouse click every time the mouse is moved and leave holes. But I can reproduce that anymore. And dragging power poles for sure is a true drag as it only places poles where needed. So there seems to be some drag detection code in the game already.

Or just lack in the GUI code?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mrvn wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:21 am
Maybe : viewtopic.php?p=452726#p452726 (I can't tell if Rseding91's answer applies here).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:59 am
mrvn wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:21 am
Maybe : viewtopic.php?p=452726#p452726 (I can't tell if Rseding91's answer applies here).
Maybe slots could then allow copy&paste like entity settings do: shift + left/right click to copy&paste. That would work for the toolbar and inventory slots. It would be a bit strange for it to move research items in the queue but better than having to delete and re-add them.

Or just little buttons "<" and ">" to move items in the queue.
Last edited by mrvn on Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

+1
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

i have no idea if its the same, but on the toolbar you can infact swap things...? (to be specific, atleast you can change them from slot a to b)

It would be just interesting to see why this wont be implemented if its requestet so much, i always enjoy the technical background

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”