Statuses for every entity for completeness?

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Statuses for every entity for completeness?

Post by Usul »

Hi!

Is there still any chance that statuses will be added to absolutely every entity in vanilla, for the sake of completeness and consistency?

For example chests have a status that is either "Normal" or "Marked for deconstruction". Substations have no status but can show status "Marked for deconstruction".

Allthough the "Normal" status is mostly pointless, wouldn't it make a little more sense if all the entites that still have no status LED receive one, so that the above two examples would behave the same way? In my opinion this would be a gain for completeness and consistency, which there has always been paid detailed attention to in factorio.

Thanks!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Statuses for every entity for completeness?

Post by ssilk »

There are other far related threads around this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19987 More Game Information (Statistics, Monitoring, Graphs)
Allthough the "Normal" status is mostly pointless, wouldn't it make a little more sense if all the entites that still have no status LED receive one, so that the above two examples would behave the same way? In my opinion this would be a gain for completeness and consistency, which there has always been paid detailed attention to in factorio.
This is a completely different idea. Please make an extra suggestion for it! :) Please use the suggestion template. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47316
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

When they overhauled the statuses I reported a lot of the inconsistencies. However as you point out, there are still some bugs an oversights. Here is a list of all issues I know of (taken from this post: 91889):
  • Locomotives only status is "No fuel". It is missing "Working" or better "Automatic" and "Manual"
  • The following entities have no "Working" status: fluid wagons (cargo wagons have status "Working"), underground belts (splitters have status "Working"), pipe to ground (pipes have status "Working", train stop (has status "Disabled by control behaviour"), radar (has status "No power"), gate (walls have status "Working"), laser turret (has status "No power"),
  • There is no status for "Marked for upgrade" (more of a feature request)
  • There is no status for beacons "No affected entities" (more of a feature request)
  • Robots have no status. viewtopic.php?p=522991#p522991
  • Furnaces with insufficient, but more than zero ingredients have status "No ingredients" instead of "Item ingredient shortage". 91867
  • Electric mining drill lamps and status colors don't match. 91895
  • Pumpjacks, pumps and offshore pumps have status "Working" even when output is full. 69086
  • Inserter targeting a burner mining drill has status "Item ingredient shortage" instead of "Waiting fo space in destination". 65351
@ssilk I don't understand the connection to the first post you linked and as I understand it this is just one suggestion.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:36 am
@ssilk I don't understand the connection to the first post you linked and as I understand it this is just one suggestion.
Indeed rubish. :roll: I deleted the link.

After thinking I mean this is a kind of small bug. What do you think: Move to bug reports?

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:25 pm
After thinking I mean this is a kind of small bug. What do you think: Move to bug reports?
I mean you could try, but I fear it would at most land in the “Minor issues” section and be forgotten.
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, moved from suggestions to bugs.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:02 am
ssilk wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:25 pm
I mean you could try, but I fear it would at most land in the “Minor issues” section and be forgotten.
It is something I will look into for the expansion, we have quite some GUIs, I don't want to start touching the 1.1.x GUI code these days

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Glad I might be wrong about the "being forgotten" :lol:

Return to “Minor issues”