Gravity Electricity storage / stone use

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Gravity Electricity storage / stone use

Post by nosports »

I often play with mods and also use the dirty ore mod.
So i have an overflow of stones and they need to be disposed.

As i recently read about water-energystorage, i came to the similar concept for gravity-storage (which basically is water energy).

I would envisage a recipe which uses much stone to store the energy..

So maybe one of the modder will take up on this idea

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Gravity Electricity storage / stone use

Post by Qon »

A mod that implements something like this? Sounds cool. If it's the weight-in-a-mineshaft model then the graphics could be really simple and still realistic since whats visible from above is just the lid on top when everything is actually underground.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:10 pm
this?
That looks aprils-fools-level overcomplicated. Here's what I once thought about making.
Qon wrote:
since whats visible from above is just the lid on top when everything is actually underground.
Problem is that without nice visuals it's just another "Accumulator Mk.N" (ok, game mechanic wise it's always just an accumulator...). But the question is: Can one make an accumulator prototype with an extremely low animation speed that actually sychronously animates with the charge level? Otherwise it'd require scripts :/.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm
Qon wrote:
this?
That looks aprils-fools-level overcomplicated. Here's what I once thought about making.
I agree... about your link, can that really work? Would be awesome if it could, but will the top really slide, without all the water leaking out? That's got to be insane pressure there, the seam isn't the only place that can leak. And will the top not break apart? Maybe if you find a very rocky area with no cracks and no soil it could work?

The thing I linked to is obviously simpler. It has been proven at smaller scale. It's an electric motor and a string and a weight, basically a heavy elevator. The question is if it can be scaled up enough and be cost effective. I don't know but maybe?
eradicator wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm
Qon wrote:
since whats visible from above is just the lid on top when everything is actually underground.
Problem is that without nice visuals it's just another "Accumulator Mk.N" (ok, game mechanic wise it's always just an accumulator...). But the question is: Can one make an accumulator prototype with an extremely low animation speed that actually sychronously animates with the charge level? Otherwise it'd require scripts :/.
For this to be interesting it needs some difference in game mechanism, otherwise it would be pretty pointless to implement, yes. Animations would also be needed but I rather skip those and have underground elevators that can't be seen if there's something interesting about their use, compared to a reskinned accumulator.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:05 pm
I agree... about your link, can that really work?
Dunno. Would be nice if it did though. :)
Qon wrote:
The thing I linked to is obviously simpler.
Uhm... swinging cables, multiple rotating cranes, control software, wind problems....? It looks like a megaton-scale Jenga tower. I don't think there's anything simple about that. If just a single one of those blocks is misplaced, damaged, or maybe just a bit wet and slippery, then all the ones above turn into serious problems.
Qon wrote:
For this to be interesting it needs some difference in game mechanism,
Any ideas? I mean...it's supposed to be a high-capacity energy storage. I don't have any ideas on how to make that different or fun compared to vanilla accu spam.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:56 pm
Qon wrote:
The thing I linked to is obviously simpler.
Uhm... swinging cables, multiple rotating cranes, control software, wind problems....? It looks like a megaton-scale Jenga tower. I don't think there's anything simple about that. If just a single one of those blocks is misplaced, damaged, or maybe just a bit wet and slippery, then all the ones above turn into serious problems.
I meant the mine shaft weighted elevator being simpler.

The big jenga tower is probably equal complexity to what you linked. Hard to compare though.
eradicator wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:56 pm
Qon wrote:
For this to be interesting it needs some difference in game mechanism,
Any ideas? I mean...it's supposed to be a high-capacity energy storage. I don't have any ideas on how to make that different or fun compared to vanilla accu spam.
How about you having to manage swinging cables, multiple rotating cranes, control software, wind problems.... with combinator circuits or similar? ;)

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

yes its just an akkumulator......

Main reason for me for this idea was just a use of excess stone. ie. if you play a game with the dirty ores you will get a ton of stones.
The usual water-power using heighdiffernces is also a gravity energy storage, just with a fluid.

The advantage of such gravity storages are you can place it everywhere and scale it easily.

Not thought about the animation, but what about a simple (and big) like a ship elevator.
But as the loading/unloading is just a simple thing back and forward animation i would think its not difficult.
(but how knows, i have knowledge in this area)

if you want some difficulty with this concept you can separat this to two buildings with two inserters between, which do the magic there.
One is the bottom-pid the other one is the storage-rack, so you need to set the inserters.
Thought this only works if one of the inserter can shell out electricity.
If this can't be done with inserts one can look into stealing a turbine-entitiy for this ?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Is it possible to link acumulator prototype properties with miner/pumpjack ones? Only placeable on (new resource) mine shafts.
Like for example pY implements lots of special deep mines for almost any resource.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”