[1.1.30] Four minutes after lastest save is loaded program freezes – 100% repeatable

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
FuzzyBug57
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.30] Four minutes after lastest save is loaded program freezes – 100% repeatable

Post by FuzzyBug57 »

This is a file I have been playing for years and has produced a lot of products, e.g. over 189 billion copper coils.

When I load the latest save (Johns_Maxed_Out_Save.zip linked below) I do not have to do anything except wait for it to stop, which happens about four minutes after it is loaded. When it stops the only thing I seem to be able to do is Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the Factorio task.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bzNtfK ... sp=sharing

This happens every time I try it.

It first happened in version 1.1.19 two months ago so I stopped playing. I upgraded to 1.1.30 this week to try again and the same thing still happens.

The most recent log file is attached.

If you can help figure out what can be done to allow this file to continue to run I would very much appreciate it.

Even if it cannot be fixed if you can identify the cause, I’d be interested to hear what it is as I have a bet with my son about what the root cause is😊.

Thanks in Advance............JH
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.30] Four minutes after lastest save is loaded program freezes – 100% repeatable

Post by jodokus31 »

I tested it: Same behaviour.
Don't think its an hardware issue

Playtime is quite massive: 19884:00:04 ( > 2.25 years)
EDIT: I guess playtime is related: 19884 hours is short before 2^32 ticks
4294944000 : 19884 hours
4294967296 : 2^32

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.30] Four minutes after lastest save is loaded program freezes – 100% repeatable

Post by boskid »

It freezes around transport line remerge requests processing becuase of the tick counter which gets close to the tick limit (uint32_t).

FuzzyBug57
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FuzzyBug57 »

So the good news is I win the bet with my son about the root cause of the problem.

Is there anyway to reset the tick counter (or similar) that would allow this file to continue to be played??

san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by san »

same as this one and contains a solution: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=72288&p=437786

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Like san said, saving you a click or two :D
Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:24 pm
You can try importing the save file into a new one using the map editor "import save" feature. I have no idea if it will work or what might break but it's worth a try.

Your world will end up on another surface but from a gameplay perspective it won't change anything.

FuzzyBug57
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FuzzyBug57 »

Thanks for the suggestion:)! I was not able to find or figure out the "import save" feature mentioned, although I was able to make a zero run time copy using the "Convert Save" feature in the map editor (pic attached).

Unfortunately, while the new file starts showing zero run time, it still stops after about four minutes of running time:(.

I've never used the map editor before so perhaps I'm not approaching this correctly?!?
Attachments
ConvertSave.jpg
ConvertSave.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 3847 times

sp55aa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sp55aa »

disentius wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:10 pm
Like san said, saving you a click or two :D
Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:24 pm
You can try importing the save file into a new one using the map editor "import save" feature. I have no idea if it will work or what might break but it's worth a try.

Your world will end up on another surface but from a gameplay perspective it won't change anything.
Convert Save then start new game from that, still freeze
Attachments
2021-03-30_224113.png
2021-03-30_224113.png (61.63 KiB) Viewed 3841 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

FuzzyBug57 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:34 pm
Unfortunately, while the new file starts showing zero run time, it still stops after about four minutes of running time:(.
The game tracks two different times, map time and time played. As far as i know the raw map time is not shown in the gui, and is not resetted when importing as scenario.
FuzzyBug57 wrote:
I've never used the map editor before so perhaps I'm not approaching this correctly?!?
As far as I understand the old thread: You're supposed to "Map Editor" -> "New scenario" -> "Surface" Tab -> "Import save". Which would presumable import only the surface of your old map into a fresh map. I guess the surface index change might make some mods unhappy. Which might be possible to migitate by copy/pasting the imported surface to the main surface after importing the save, but that is just speculation on my part.
Attachments
importsave.png
importsave.png (93.47 KiB) Viewed 3827 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

sp55aa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sp55aa »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm
FuzzyBug57 wrote:
The game tracks two different times, map time and time played. As far as i know the raw map time is not shown in the gui, and is not resetted when importing as scenario.
FuzzyBug57 wrote:
As far as I understand the old thread: You're supposed to "Map Editor" -> "New scenario" -> "Surface" Tab -> "Import save". Which would presumable import only the surface of your old map into a fresh map. I guess the surface index change might make some mods unhappy. Which might be possible to migitate by copy/pasting the imported surface to the main surface after importing the save, but that is just speculation on my part.
it works, with some problem:
1. research progress lost
2. achievement disabled
3. player inventory and armor lost
4. import save need 10G+ memory
5. start new game from scenario start with 1.2 ups, need wait about 2 minutes
6. need run command in console:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.teleport({0,0},game.surfaces['imported-nauvis-1'])

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

sp55aa wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:35 pm
it works, with some problem:
1. research progress lost
2. achievement disabled
3. player inventory and armor lost
4. import save need 10G+ memory
5. start new game from scenario start with 1.2 ups, need wait about 2 minutes
6. need run command in console:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.teleport({0,0},game.surfaces['imported-nauvis-1'])
1. You can use the Editor to give you back your techs, pretty sure.

2. If you haven't gotten all the achievements you can on this map after 2 years, you probably weren't going to anytime soon. :lol: Using commands to edit the game always disables the achievements.

3. Prolly too late now but the easy workaround would be to move all your stuff into chests before the import, so you could just pick it back up after.

FuzzyBug57
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FuzzyBug57 »

Woohoo, I am up and running again :D !

Thanks SO MUCH for all the expert help with this! I could not have done it with out the help provided here.

It will take a little while to recover the flying robot speed and mining productivity boosts I lost to get each of my science kit facilities back up to their production goal rate of 1000 pcs/min, but I have another 19,964 hours to work on that, and now that I have all my trains running again everything seems to be running smoothly, so I'm sure things will be back in shape before long.

sp55aa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sp55aa »

FuzzyBug57 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 pm
Woohoo, I am up and running again :D !

Thanks SO MUCH for all the expert help with this! I could not have done it with out the help provided here.

It will take a little while to recover the flying robot speed and mining productivity boosts I lost to get each of my science kit facilities back up to their production goal rate of 1000 pcs/min, but I have another 19,964 hours to work on that, and now that I have all my trains running again everything seems to be running smoothly, so I'm sure things will be back in shape before long.
you can restore your research progress in editor:
T open research, shift click to research any tech you researched. infinite research can click multiple times.
and don't abuse it, have fun!
Attachments
2021-03-31_193307.png
2021-03-31_193307.png (230.57 KiB) Viewed 3653 times

FuzzyBug57
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FuzzyBug57 »

Thanks for the tip sp55aa :) . I think I'll earn back what I'm still missing the "hard" way as that will keep me entertained for a while. I had lots of science kits stockpiled when I hit the tick limit so it was pretty easy to restore all the important stuff. More later :)

sp55aa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sp55aa »

found new method, survived. just remove all transport belts, underground belts, spliters.
you can do this in editor mode (by /editor command, twice back to normal mode)
1-old.png
1-old.png (244.73 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
2-new.png
2-new.png (251.59 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
but still not playable, after I build new transport belts with items, game freezed.

Return to “Minor issues”