Factorio confessions

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Factorio confessions

Post by blazespinnaker »

My latest DW marathon megabase has lead me to do things I don't otherwise do and I must confess:

Sometimes when a belt isn't entirely compressed and I have an intermediate that needs to get somewhere, I'll hitch a ride and pull it out with a filter inserter.. :oops:

There are those times when I just start spamming splitters, like everywhere, until every offloaded belt is both split and merged by a splitter

Logistics systems, I will not say more (there is only one lake on my map, so can only do this up to a point)

I've run belts between train city blocks. I've even used them to carry artillery shells :?

Nuclear murder trains

Spidertron as trucker. You know what I mean
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Challenger007
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio confessions

Post by Challenger007 »

You are not alone. Sometimes we have to do many different small actions, which may not always be justified, or may be useless due to our inexperience.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Well, bootstrapping is a factor as well. If factorio has taught me anything, when you're starting up you have to rough in parts, especially those which allow you to scale up to something that can maintain more long term rational processes.

SKKiro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SKKiro »

I like to optimize part of my factory for minimal pollution and electricity consumption. I don't even play on death world settings.

I'll even use circuit networks to shutdown parts of my factory when they aren't needed at all. And use plenty of green modules when needed for such low energy goals.
Last edited by SKKiro on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, biter and cost pressures really change the game quite a bit - I don't get the sense many folks use that mode. Too bad, the challenge is pretty impressive.

maxp779
Inserter
Inserter

Post by maxp779 »

With the help of multiple spidertrons and the follow command I have brought rocket and nuclear justice to the homes of those godless creatures commonly known as "biters". On deathworld with rampant mod that's a lot of justice.

No regrets!

Redpossum
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redpossum »

I had an educational experience yesterday. Wandering around with the personal flamethrower selected, I accidentally hit the spacebar and lit my production line on fire. Then the construction robots swung into repair mode and proceeded to fly into the fire. Though I'm not sure if it actually did them any harm, it did lead to me expressing my dismay with some French vocabulary...

I also happily discovered that exploded landmines are automagically replaced by robots from my personal roboport when I wander close, provided I have landmines in my inventory. It was nice not having to venture outside the walls to do that by hand.

I also saw a really big biter for the first time yesterday. Or rather I saw its corpse, after my landmines converted it into a good biter.

And I have a question. If I use rocket fuel to run my train, is it then officially a rocket train?
("Casey Jones, mounted to the cabin...")

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Sometimes my temporary construction grid doesn’t match the redo of my electrical networks 90 degree connections.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Redpossum wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:18 pm
"accidentally hit the spacebar and lit my production line on fire"
Saved for future use.

hornetDC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hornetDC »

Almost 1k hours and I never used flamethrower turrets :?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Never used Spidertron so far
Launched my first rocket in Seablock 0.16 with lazy bastard and no logi bots.
Second rocket with There's no spoon (pollution to 0 spread, though)

Redpossum
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redpossum »

I learned another important lesson last night - while fooling around with chain signals, do not stand in the middle of the track!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Redpossum wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:19 pm
I learned another important lesson last night - while fooling around with chain signals, do not stand in the middle of the track!
Thats a general lesson... about not fooling around on train tracks - it applies much more if you are using mods and trains are running at higher speeds then vanilla.

hornetDC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hornetDC »

orzelek wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Redpossum wrote:
Thats a general lesson... about not fooling around on train tracks - it applies much more if you are using mods and trains are running at higher speeds then vanilla.
I'll add to that, do not activate train while standing in front of it.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

Switching to atomic bombs during close combat

loading nukes in a spidertron with auto fire one

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mskvaer »

hornetDC wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:37 am
Redpossum wrote:
Been there, Done it ...
Now, the real question:
  • Do you relaod from last fast save point
  • Do you take it like a man and do the ReSpawn
  • Do you admit to that was f... stupid, and as as punishment restart from beginning ? (NB: one has to save and reload the seed to get the same map)
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

hornetDC wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:37 am
orzelek wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Redpossum wrote:
Cannot remember the last time, i was run over by a train. Probably once in the 0.14 tutorial map. BUT, I'm almost unable to cross a track or watch somebody do it on Youtube. I'd rather pick up the track and cross then. And I always drive around in a PAX train with automatic driving and dedicated PAX stations.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I don't use trains much any more. Mostly belts. For awhile I was using a blueprint someone made to make a train crossing that stopped the train if I was going through. If you care about acheivements though you might want to get hit by a train once or twice. :D
I have over 5000 hours in the game and have never used flame throwers. There was a mod somewhere that gave me early artillary and that took care of any issues with biters. Turrets, Lasers and a moat outside the walls took care of the rest. Heavily defended 'bridges' to get through as needed.
Now most of the time I play with biters disabled and build my factories in peace.
Edit: I don't remember making this post, but I saw the 5000 hours thing. I have close to 3500 hours in Steam and many more hours offline. It is hard to believe that I came close to 5000 hours. Maybe I am just getting too old. I was thinking closer to 200 to 300 hours offline.
Last edited by jamiechi1 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Another confession, I struggle to escape and lure logistics bots away when they try to steal from those extra rows of inventory that magically appear when I get the logistics technology. It's handy having more space to stash stuff, but sadly the log bots become a bunch of stalking little thieves that follow me around everywhere. I don't know how other people do it, but I have yet to learn how to properly give them the slip. Maybe they are more trouble than they are worth

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:19 pm
Another confession, I struggle to escape and lure logistics bots away when they try to steal from those extra rows of inventory that magically appear when I get the logistics technology. It's handy having more space to stash stuff, but sadly the log bots become a bunch of stalking little thieves that follow me around everywhere. I don't know how other people do it, but I have yet to learn how to properly give them the slip. Maybe they are more trouble than they are worth
Wouldn't turning off personal logistics and autotrash help?
logistics.png
logistics.png (258.04 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “General discussion”