Offensive Backer List entry (Train stops, Trains, Labs, Roboports, Radars)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

InsufferableBubbles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Offensive Backer List entry (Train stops, Trains, Labs, Roboports, Radars)

Post by InsufferableBubbles »

The auto-generated train station name list has an offensive name in it: "RETARDEDHAIR". First time I've seen it in 6 years of playing, but it was a very unwelcome surprise. I've included a screenshot of the station.
pic

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.0.0] Offensive Automatic Train Name

Post by Loewchen »

I'll move this to suggestions.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Sigh.

This being "offensive" is completely subjective.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

See also :
viewtopic.php?t=59752
viewtopic.php?t=50424
If people spent less time getting offended by everything and anything, I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Koub wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm
If people spent less time getting offended by everything and anything, I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.
Spoken like someone in a truly privileged position.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 pm
Koub wrote:
Admittedly privileged, and grateful to be so.
I used to get offended on some topics when I was younger. Now that I have stopped giving a fuck, I don't think I've gotten more privileged, but I'm way happier.
I have the impression that, on the contrary, the more privileged, the more people get easily offended. People who struggle to survive have other priorities than being offended I think.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Koub wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 pm
I have the impression that, on the contrary, the more privileged, the more people get easily offended. People who struggle to survive have other priorities than being offended I think.
I think that's total bollocks personally. I think people who tell other people it's their fault if they're offended by slurs and insults like "mong", "faggot" and "nigger" are little more than playground bullies. Telling them they could be happier if they didn't take the abuse personally is even worse. "Can't you take a joke?" is the eternal call of the bully.

"Retarded" is a foul word in my local variety of English. It seems less taboo in the States, but, they use the word "handicapped" which became less acceptable here as far back as the 1970-80s. Still, what do you expect from a country run by people who openly espouse fascism.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

Koub wrote:
Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 pm
Koub wrote:
Admittedly privileged, and grateful to be so.
I used to get offended on some topics when I was younger. Now that I have stopped giving a fuck, I don't think I've gotten more privileged, but I'm way happier.
The more privileged people are, the more free they are to express their offense. Everyone else just has to suck it up in silence.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Let us not forget that this is the name of a train stop in a video game.

This wasn't aimed at anyone.
This isn't schoolyard bullying.
This isn't those "fascists" in the states.

This was the name provided by someone that paid money out of their own pocket to support a game we all love.

The word in question has many uses that are objectively NOT offensive.

Currently we're going back and forth about slow hair. This is why people get uneasy about all the "offense" taken. It goes from genuinely trying to help someone, or avoid real pain to quibbling about nonsense. Slippery slope indeed.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

invisus wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 pm
Currently we're going back and forth about slow hair.
You know perfectly well that's almost certainly not what was meant. The way people can rationalise this shit away is the reason it's a problem.

Randomly calling train stations in a computer game "Retarded" anything is no better than randomly calling them "Gollywog" or "Arse Bandit".

Educate yourself.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/what-is- ... rd-3105651

I fully expect this thread will be locked soon, because obviously taking the piss out of people with disabilities is less important than the handful of dollars someone stumped up seven years ago.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:58 pm
You know perfectly well that's almost certainly not what was meant.
No actually, I don't know that and neither do you - definitely maybe.
Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:58 pm
The way people can rationalise this shit away is the reason it's a problem.
Educate yourself.
As far as my education goes, I have friends and family with mental issues. Some of them find the overreaction to these things on their behalf to be more damaging and insulting than the actual "offensive" word. I'm simply going off what I've been told by those close to me that are afflicted with such real problems.

I would submit that someone willing to _actually_ sling insults at someone who is merely trying to discuss it is more of an issue.

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

invisus wrote:
Let us not forget that this is the name of a train stop in a video game.
+1

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

invisus wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:41 am

As far as my education goes, I have friends and family with mental issues. Some of them find the overreaction to these things on their behalf to be more damaging and insulting than the actual "offensive" word. I'm simply going off what I've been told by those close to me that are afflicted with such real problems.

I would submit that someone willing to _actually_ sling insults at someone who is merely trying to discuss it is more of an issue.
Were any of them beaten or spit on by people yelling "Retard!" at them? Not difficult to find instances of these things where the results ended up being newsworthy (death, serious injury). Tip of the iceberg there, but it's not unusual for people who have been subjected to such abuse to just quietly leave a room where the term is being slung around and not even directly at them. I think a solo video game about building factories ought to be a place where they can relax and not expect the game to throw it at them.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

invisus wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:41 am
I've personally found that this tends to be the case with most things. Take "native American" vs. "Indian" as an example, or "dwarf" vs. "midget" vs. "little person". Those offended on others behalves often make poor judgements of offensiveness.

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm
Koub wrote:
I think people who tell other people it's their fault if they're offended by slurs and insults [...] are little more than playground bullies. Telling them they could be happier if they didn't take the abuse personally is even worse. "Can't you take a joke?" is the eternal call of the bully.
1. Koub never put blame on those offended, only spoke about probabilities. He might have not even been talking in the specific context of insults.
2. Koub was not insulting you, so there is no reason for you to believe him a bully. No one insulted you. Koub points out that if you didn't make an insult out of something not clearly meant to be one, then maybe you wouldn't be so upset.

invisus wrote:
This wasn't aimed at anyone.
This isn't schoolyard bullying.
This isn't those "fascists" in the states.
Generally this idea.

I don't think that it is up to us to decide whether or not this should be removed. It does feel out of place, but it is up to the devs to decide what they value more.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

extremely large danger of closing this thread!

No problem will be solved by continuing this kind of discussion. Please continue somewhere else (I think at least not in this board).

My personal opinion: to introduce the stackers names was the stupidest idea the devs made. Yes, they needed the money and they promised it, but I have no problem to say: now it’s good, we had that in for a while (6 years or so) and we make now names, which are more cool.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:29 am
stupidest
Joke opprotunuty!
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm
"Retarded" is a foul word in my local variety of English. It seems less taboo in the States[...]
I'm from the US. It's offensive there also.

The devs already made a pass long ago to remove offensive names. It seems this one was simply overlooked.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

talking about educating oneself => https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25264521/
https://www.beautyglimpse.com/do-you-kn ... r-read-on/

personnaly i found myself in an economically-challenged position and find the work "broke" and "poor" offensive.

Could you please stop using those words ?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

mmmPI wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:19 am
talking about educating oneself => https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25264521/
https://www.beautyglimpse.com/do-you-kn ... r-read-on/
Thank you for some context.

The trouble is that in a train stop name, there isn't any context.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

I agree that devs should may want to forbid some known words in backer names. Not because they are offensive, just because it's a game for all ages and children may play it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”