Server lag (Factorio Zone)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Aristodikos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Server lag (Factorio Zone)

Post by Aristodikos »

Hello guys,

I apologize for my double post, idk where to put it

I need some help about this free multiplayer features.

First of all i would like to thank the creator of that staff...really very helpfull.

Now lets talk about my problem. I started playing with my friend yesterday and i have frequently lag. The game is running very well on my laptop (60fps in max) without fps drop. i tryied 3 different internet connections, 2 of them mobile (4G & 3G ea) and on from home. Im getting on all connections lag. The only thing that i can understand is pressing F4 FPS/UPS. FPS are stable at 60fps but UPS sometimes when it lags it drops for a moment and goes up to 140(?!?) until the game synchronize. Near the alien vests, the lag is much more worst. By pressing F5, i cant understand anything so if you need any information from there, just ask me what to share with you here

Laptop details

Just notice that Factorio's installation location is on my SSD

and here is my internet connection

Just notice that my friend doesnt have any problem he has zero lag

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Server lag (Factorio Zone)

Post by Kalanndok »

What's your friend's connection like?
Since he has no lag he seems to run the game locally and you are connecting to his instance of the game. So when his connection is bad (or his whole family is watching Netflix) it doesn't matter anymore how good your own connection is. It's his upstream that might be the bottleneck.

Aristodikos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aristodikos »

we are running both on factorio zone free server. i have same lag even if i am playing alone on this server (friend offline)
Kalanndok wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm
What's your friend's connection like?
Since he has no lag he seems to run the game locally and you are connecting to his instance of the game. So when his connection is bad (or his whole family is watching Netflix) it doesn't matter anymore how good your own connection is. It's his upstream that might be the bottleneck.
about my friedn's connection, 50mbps dl / 5 mbp ul
Last edited by Aristodikos on Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

This does not state how much of that theoretical througput is actually available(!). Might be shared medium (cable-internet, WiFi(!)), might be ppl in the same network streaming videos, might be ppl uploading files (torrent-uploads, etc.), some kind of firewall (local or provider-side).

Considering a WiFi-connection there might be several sources of interference.
Simply many different WiFis in the area clogging the shared medium...there might be steel-concrete disturbing the signal or (as in my own case) as simple stair railing with metal rods in an arrangement that is exactly suited to block off WiFi-signals.

Also keep in mind: If someone is downloading something with 50 Mbps that this generally has an upstream-overhead of roughly 5 Mbps, clogging the downstream AND the upstream.

Point is, there seems to be a connection-issue somewhere directly between your machine and your friends machine.
Have you tried hosting the game yourself with your friend connecting to your machine?

Aristodikos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aristodikos »

Kalanndok wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:33 pm
This does not state how much of that theoretical througput is actually available(!). Might be shared medium (cable-internet, WiFi(!)), might be ppl in the same network streaming videos, might be ppl uploading files (torrent-uploads, etc.), some kind of firewall (local or provider-side).

Considering a WiFi-connection there might be several sources of interference.
Simply many different WiFis in the area clogging the shared medium...there might be steel-concrete disturbing the signal or (as in my own case) as simple stair railing with metal rods in an arrangement that is exactly suited to block off WiFi-signals.

Also keep in mind: If someone is downloading something with 50 Mbps that this generally has an upstream-overhead of roughly 5 Mbps, clogging the downstream AND the upstream.

Point is, there seems to be a connection-issue somewhere directly between your machine and your friends machine.
Have you tried hosting the game yourself with your friend connecting to your machine?
yes i tried but for 10 minutes. Actually i would like to search for the problem step by step. Before checkin the network (i cannot reach the router yet) is there anything to do on my computer (i am using windows antivirus) or you believe is clearly network problem? While connected from 4G/3G routers, i was the only one that used them, no streaming no downloading absolutelly only the game

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

Actually: 3G/4G is in fact a shared medium between all users on the same cell.
However since your own internet connection works I rather suspect the problem to be on the side of your friend, even though it runs lagfree on his end. The reason for that is that he isn't running the game online at all and therefore has no connection issues.

Are you using a wired connection to your router or WiFi? If the latter...try using a cable to eliminate local WiFi-interferences.

Aristodikos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aristodikos »

Kalanndok wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:22 pm
Actually: 3G/4G is in fact a shared medium between all users on the same cell.
However since your own internet connection works I rather suspect the problem to be on the side of your friend, even though it runs lagfree on his end. The reason for that is that he isn't running the game online at all and therefore has no connection issues.

Are you using a wired connection to your router or WiFi? If the latter...try using a cable to eliminate local WiFi-interferences.
Understood, but i have lag even my friend is not online. as i said, im running the server from here https://factorio.zone/ so the game is loaded in https://factorio.zone/ not on a pc

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If this would be a networking issue it would not be worse when being near biters/in combat. Your machine is likely not able to keep up with the server, see 68653.

Aristodikos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aristodikos »

Loewchen wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:15 pm
If this would be a networking issue it would not be worse when being near biters/in combat. Your machine is likely not able to keep up with the server, see 68653.
I never had any problems in single player mode. It is not only when near/fighting biters it hapens frequently even while i am in base. near bitters is much more and always not frequently

Return to “Technical Help”