Meaningful Content Update

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:27 am
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Hannu »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 pm
I disagree, what are the odds of a planet in a different solar system evolving with the EXACT same trees and brush? To me, it means the artist lacked creativity and imagination. Alien doesn't have to mean oversaturated. I also don't think every biomes needs to look alien, but some definitely should, since we are, after all, on an alien planet.
Zero, but in my opinion whole stupid story of crashes pilot is futile in this kind of game. It does not give anything or does not affect to any decision. It is exactly as possible to build alone an infrastructure able to launch orbital rocket as find a planet which have similar plants as earth and huge arthropod animals.
The majority of these complaints from you guys that just enjoy the building aspect could be resolved with a difficulty slider and or a no fliers checkbox.
It would be possible.
Keep in mind you are the vocal minority on these forums, and there is a huge playerbase out there that doesn't just want a logistical problem solver. There are plenty of puzzlers out there. Many of us enjoy all the aspects of the game, and want them expanded upon.
This is real problem. Combat players are much larger group than nerdy engineering logistic game players. Therefore it is real treat that devs will change the game to much more combat oriented. There are no games like factorio. Factorio can be modded to be challenging in logistical sense (with one of those huge and complicated mods, like DyWoprld, Bob's & Angels, Pyanodon etc.) and no other game can handle nearly as large and complex world than Factorio.

I hope that there will be games with the same idea. They can be more combat oriented or what I would like most more engineering oriented. Not pursuit of fourth decimal of perfect 2:3 ratio, which is fate of far too many Factorio players and as far from real engineering as possible, but adjusting to varying conditions, handling nonlinear systems etc.
I think there is nothing wrong with using choke points and it's a strategy I use as well, but I also think biters should be able to get to you. I don't think cheesing the terrain in a way that biters can't even reach you or just barely so they funnel in is abusing the games limitations, and pretty cheaty. Fliers would solve that to some extent.
Why not trivial solution, just do not enclose your base or choose less water in map? For example I do not like beacons and just do not use them. Only thing it prevents is extremely large megabases, but I am not interesting copying of same structures until my CPU melts and get some number just before smoke is released.
There actually really aren't that many biter mods, as mentioned above, because the amount of knowledge a modder has to have to put them in as well.
This is true. Game does not give versatile tools to make interesting enemies. It is more or less impossible with slow lua scritps, especiaslly if number of enemies is large. Enemies should be programmed with efficient C++, if they had interesting properties, like AI, and not just versions of basic biters. However, I think that flying biter would be possible by just disabling collision checks and let biter run through everything. Similar unit would be burrowing biter if not drawed on screen.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by netmand »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 pm
[...] there is a huge playerbase out there that doesn't just want a logistical problem solver. [...]
That kind of statement always bothers me. I don't recognize your authority in that respect and challenge you to name a mere 25 of the "huge playerbase" that you are talking about. I'm ok with (and am following) your opinion on this but please don't profile large portions of the players like that.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the trees I'm clearing look like bulbous purple fleshy plants or evergreen shrubbery. My motivations for playing Factorio is to expand the factory by efficiently increasing science per minute.

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

netmand wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:12 pm
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 pm
[...] there is a huge playerbase out there that doesn't just want a logistical problem solver. [...]
That kind of statement always bothers me. I don't recognize your authority in that respect and challenge you to name a mere 25 of the "huge playerbase" that you are talking about. I'm ok with (and am following) your opinion on this but please don't profile large portions of the players like that.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the trees I'm clearing look like bulbous purple fleshy plants or evergreen shrubbery. My motivations for playing Factorio is to expand the factory by efficiently increasing science per minute.
I mean you are right, my opinion is based on anecdotal experiences with my small group of friends and family (about 10 or so) who all love the game, but have all grumbled about how basic and uninteresting the biters feel. On the other hand, officials Factorio forums are only going to have the most die hard fans who have stuck it out for 3+ years with minimal content updates. These are the players who have managed to entertain themselves with factory layouts, blueprints and efficiency which is a whole meta game in itself. My point being is neither is a good representation of what the players want. But is adding more productions chains and a rocket 2.0 that is even harder to launch really the direction the game should go with adding content? For me and my friends no, I'd rather they flesh out the other less developed parts of the game.

Environments and it's look can be super important to the immersion factor and overall feel of the game. For example, Factorio's music is fantastic in making you feel isolated on an alien world, the environments however or not, and break that immersion for me. To each their own I guess.

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Oktokolo »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm
I mean you are right, my opinion is based on anecdotal experiences with my small group of friends and family (about 10 or so) who all love the game, but have all grumbled about how basic and uninteresting the biters feel.
The thing with Factorio is, that it actually (and despite of its surprisingly large user base) is a niche game. The Biters aren't there to give the player an opportunity to do combat. They are there to give the player a reason to dump lots of resources into military tech. So it may very well be the case that your friends and family aren't part of the target group...
But Factorio is extremely modable and Rampant exists. Do not underestimate, what mods can do for you. Rampant does really improve Biter AI a lot (difficulty is tunable by various parameters).
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm
Environments and it's look can be super important to the immersion factor and overall feel of the game. For example, Factorio's music is fantastic in making you feel isolated on an alien world, the environments however or not, and break that immersion for me. To each their own I guess.
Factorio indeed lacks theming (non-game-changing mods wich aren't considered for multiplayer compatibility checks). But maybe that gets added after 1.0.0. Then you can have your game look completly different than the game of the other players on the same server.
But if you have a local user base of ten people sharing you taste, you can play with Alien Biomes right now.

They designed this game with mod support from the start. It is meant to be played with mods.
Look at the mods, Klonan made. He even made a combat improvement mod...

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12722
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by ssilk »

Some things which disturbed me in the discussion:
- The biters and spiters are the natives of this planet, not aliens. They are enemies, but the aliens are you! search.php?keywords=alien&t=84237&sf=msgonly
:) I know I cannot speak against mountains, but in my opinion it is a source of many misconceptions around Factorio, like the next:

- In that sense, they cannot be arbitary dangerous. This is not Starship Troopers where such creatures just evolve out of nothing. The natural evolution does only, what it needs to. It doesn't invent big bosses, it takes some millions of years for that. Mods can do that. See down.

- Factorio is one of the most moddable games ever. And it's so super stable, and nice under the hood, that it really makes sense to make mods, that takes some years to develop, not such always-the-same-I-want-to-make-money games.

- It is for a programmer really hard to make a really good mod for Factorio, because to make the graphics is ... difficult. I think in that way Factorio lacks of development tools, documentation, How-to's etc.

Mods
https://mods.factorio.com/?tags=enemies
https://mods.factorio.com/?tags=weapons

The target for 1.0.0 is clear
This thread will not change the current direction; to make some effect I recommend to write suggestions. This discussion will not change much, because it’s not clear what is really wanted, because there where mentioned so many aspects.

There are already some suggestions
The latest relevant post about biomes is from 2017!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50000
There is factual (when looking into suggestions) no need for new flying biomes. ;)
EDIT: No, there is another post viewtopic.php?p=492815

We have a very old link list about biomes: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022
There s a part in, that is only about biomes and a long list of threads.

A really old and quite creative link list for enemies: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=139

And about endgame: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=24090


More threads around the topic "new biters, new typies of aliens, smarter enemies" from here (I did not go back before 2016):
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86114 from yesterday, but it's more about brining the world to live - in this case just effects, not really game-changing.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77532 Better scaling of enemies + alien tactics (2020)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71708 Air Based Enemies & Anti-Air Defenses (2020)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61380 Enemies + (2018) --> That is a bit similar discussion to this one
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61232 Increasing BOT-KI and adding Queens (2018)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61329 Exploration + Expansion (2018)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59168 More Diverse Enemies (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53899 New "enemies" (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52966 Combat Reform (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50674 HEY, What about Air/Water enemies? (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50179 Factorio Endgame
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47538 Introduce RTS elements to the game
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46867 Aliens as protagonists DLC (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46636 [0.15] Make Biters Interesting... (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45215 Bosses (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42857 Once more unto the breach: Combat (2017)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39289 Flying Creatures (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39752 Late game: Smart aliens and advanced evolution (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39210 Worms and Turrets (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37655 Alien Enemies (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34550 Alien species (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29346 Enemies need improovements (2016)

Much more can be found, as said, I concentrated my only to the "enemies"-aspect of this thread.

What are about the boring look of the trees?
I remember a discussion about 6 years ago, where this where discussed. The result was: The trees look green, because it would be more realistic than everything else. And if you look closer, you see, that they don't really look like trees on earth. They have the wrong green, the forms differ a lot. And it's the same with the aliens. They look as they look, because form follows function. I'm quite happy with this look.

Such things can be only seen, if you look close enough and if you know, how things should look. Factorio makes here such a wonderful job.

And this is also a source of misconception: In games natre looks more natural, than in reality. Because as player you look only at the big things. But in Factorio you need to look at the smalls things.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Oktokolo »

ssilk wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am
This is not Starship Troopers where such creatures just evolve out of nothing. The natural evolution does only, what it needs to. It doesn't invent big bosses, it takes some millions of years for that.
Last time i played vanilla, they evolved lightning fast from tiny to behemoth - when compared to the evolution of apes to humans on earth...
And this actually is pretty much like Starship Troopers - if you play it that way (no solar, no efficiency modules, no lasers, no lollygagging).
Apart from that: You are right, getting the Biters to kick ass definitely is the modder's domain. Rampant does a good job on there...

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

Oktokolo wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:36 am
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm
I mean you are right, my opinion is based on anecdotal experiences with my small group of friends and family (about 10 or so) who all love the game, but have all grumbled about how basic and uninteresting the biters feel.
The thing with Factorio is, that it actually (and despite of its surprisingly large user base) is a niche game. The Biters aren't there to give the player an opportunity to do combat. They are there to give the player a reason to dump lots of resources into military tech. So it may very well be the case that your friends and family aren't part of the target group...
But Factorio is extremely modable and Rampant exists. Do not underestimate, what mods can do for you. Rampant does really improve Biter AI a lot (difficulty is tunable by various parameters).
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm
Environments and it's look can be super important to the immersion factor and overall feel of the game. For example, Factorio's music is fantastic in making you feel isolated on an alien world, the environments however or not, and break that immersion for me. To each their own I guess.
Factorio indeed lacks theming (non-game-changing mods wich aren't considered for multiplayer compatibility checks). But maybe that gets added after 1.0.0. Then you can have your game look completly different than the game of the other players on the same server.
But if you have a local user base of ten people sharing you taste, you can play with Alien Biomes right now.

They designed this game with mod support from the start. It is meant to be played with mods.
Look at the mods, Klonan made. He even made a combat improvement mod...
Basically you are saying, "The game shouldn't be improved any further because mods exists." Which to me is just silly. I'm basically arguing a) Development has been slow (and it has, comparatively to other similar games). B) Their focus is often in the wrong directions. And lastly c) I offered some suggestions for different ways they could expand.

So to summarize: the base game is ridiculously easy. Once you understand factory layouts EVERY game plays the exact same. All the viarbles are the same when resources are infinite. Since the map is basically infinite or large enough to make virtually any size base you want, layouts are not dynamic. Sure, the shape might change a bit to accommodate the landscape but at the end of the day, you are utilizing the same factory ratios. Not having one game to the next not really play differently leads to STALE gameplay. This is where combat can play a larger roll with adding dynamic viarbles to the game. Hitting you with different enemy types from different angles, evolving into different units between each session. Adapting to your defences so you have to react accordingly .Now you have gameplay that can potentially be different each session.

The same can be said for biomes. All biomes are basically a reskin with virtually no difference. If instead we add rare resources that can only be found in each, now we have a reason to explore and each game will play a little different. For example maybe oil can only be found in the snow biome but my game didn't load snow or it's so ridiculously far away I need to think of an alternative way to produce it. Looks like my game has an "alien" biome with spores I can super compress with my alternative spore compressor tech I need to research. It also needs to be fed water to work. Now you have a completely different playthrough from your last game with alternative tech trees and resources being used AND it made you go out and explore the world.

Satisfactory does a good job with exploration where you can collect radioactive slugs that let you super clock your factory's. Yes, similar to modules except you have to explore the world and hunt for them.

Factorio dev's have wasted a lot of time on features that never see the light of day. Better campaign? Scrapped. Better tutorial? Scrapped. Low resolution textures? Scrapped. Why not just start with high resolution pixel art?

User avatar
5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by 5thHorseman »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
Basically you are saying, "The game shouldn't be improved any further because mods exists."
I read that as, "The game shouldn't be changed in a way that many would find to be making it worse, just because some would like it more, and here are some mods that will give you what you want so why are you making such a huge stink?"
Image Image

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Oktokolo »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
Basically you are saying, "The game shouldn't be improved any further because mods exists." Which to me is just silly.
Well, have fun discussing the game with your strawman.

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:05 am
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
Basically you are saying, "The game shouldn't be improved any further because mods exists."
I read that as, "The game shouldn't be changed in a way that many would find to be making it worse, just because some would like it more, and here are some mods that will give you what you want so why are you making such a huge stink?"
I'm not trying to make a "huge stink" just using the forums to discuss things. It's kinda what they are for...
Oktokolo wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:12 am
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
Basically you are saying, "The game shouldn't be improved any further because mods exists." Which to me is just silly.
Well, have fun discussing the game with your strawman.
Is it though? I've asked what you guys want to see, because you don't seem to like my idea's of fleshing out the less developed part, and it's been crickets. I think it's a fair conclusion to draw thus far.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Kyralessa »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:29 am
I'm not trying to make a "huge stink" just using the forums to discuss things. It's kinda what they are for...
If you say so...but given the number of criticisms you've leveled at the game, one wonders why you still bother to take an interest in it. Especially as you seem to have no interest in exploring any of the hundreds of mods that can give new life if you've exhausted the possibilities of the base game.

Your criticisms would have a lot of merit if you were paying a subscription fee.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by netmand »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
the base game is ridiculously easy.
I chuckled at this having seen a recent post about someone that couldn't figure out that they need to put their science packs into a lab to progress on tech (after 8 hours of play). Not everyone has the kind of experience or education to assess the game as, "ridiculously easy".

The game's play-ability is rooted in its simple approach. On the surface the simplicity may cause it to appear too easy, but its under-lying complexity surfaces when the player tries to create factories that are more dynamic. The map is not infinite, neither are the resources. Variables that stay the same aren't variables, they are parameters. You can set the game parameters to make your game easier (and less tedious) for you to play, maybe this is what you mean by needing more content? You've made the game so easy by changing its parameters and playing it for so long that way that now it's impossible to adjust it to feel less tedious for you, so you're looking for more content?

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 am
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:29 am
I'm not trying to make a "huge stink" just using the forums to discuss things. It's kinda what they are for...
If you say so...but given the number of criticisms you've leveled at the game, one wonders why you still bother to take an interest in it. Especially as you seem to have no interest in exploring any of the hundreds of mods that can give new life if you've exhausted the possibilities of the base game.

Your criticisms would have a lot of merit if you were paying a subscription fee.
People who live in America might have a lot of criticism for how it's run, yet they still love America. The same can be said for a product or video game. There is a lot I love about Factorio.

Feedback, criticism, whatever you want to call it is the first step change. It's my hope that the devolopers read "some" of this and consider it for future updates, dlc, whatever. I'll gladly pay for it.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Kyralessa »

Sure, people can criticize America because they love the ideal it represents. But they can also criticize America because they just plain can't stand it. (I should know; as an expat American, I do it all the time.)

Go back and read what you wrote here, out loud, to yourself, and then ask yourself whether this is "constructive criticism" or whether you're just griping and being rude and unpleasant:

viewtopic.php?p=499884#p499884

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

netmand wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
the base game is ridiculously easy.
I chuckled at this having seen a recent post about someone that couldn't figure out that they need to put their science packs into a lab to progress on tech (after 8 hours of play). Not everyone has the kind of experience or education to assess the game as, "ridiculously easy".

The game's play-ability is rooted in its simple approach. On the surface the simplicity may cause it to appear too easy, but its under-lying complexity surfaces when the player tries to create factories that are more dynamic. The map is not infinite, neither are the resources. Variables that stay the same aren't variables, they are parameters. You can set the game parameters to make your game easier (and less tedious) for you to play, maybe this is what you mean by needing more content? You've made the game so easy by changing its parameters and playing it for so long that way that now it's impossible to adjust it to feel less tedious for you, so you're looking for more content?
Ok, so every player's experience is going to be different, and it's not totally fair to call the game easy. I realize it's not for everyone.
I've turned biter settings up, to pretty ridiculous levels while turning resources down and spaced out to require the utilization of trains. Where do I go from here to make the game different and interesting? Combat basically consists of setting up a perimeter around your base. Slowly expanded it as your base grows. Then running around in a tank or a decked out suit to destroy hives faster than biters can expand. Is that combat bad? No, it's probably somewhere around the line of "Just Ok." Could it be more interesting, with more tools available and or new threats? Absolutely.

New content is really all I can hope for and perhaps modding. Admittedly, rampant is a step in the right direction with biter ai, but it still plays pretty similar.

Alien biomes is pretty solid, and closer to how I envisioned an alien world. The devs should really hire that modder because he nailed it. Alien biomes should be in the base game imo.
Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:25 pm
Sure, people can criticize America because they love the ideal it represents. But they can also criticize America because they just plain can't stand it. (I should know; as an expat American, I do it all the time.)

Go back and read what you wrote here, out loud, to yourself, and then ask yourself whether this is "constructive criticism" or whether you're just griping and being rude and unpleasant:

viewtopic.php?p=499884#p499884
Rude or unpleasant would imply I attacked, or directed a comment towards another user. I haven't. I stand by what I wrote, I think it describes key issues with the game pretty well. I think some people are getting sensitive about a game they really like being criticized. I get it.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by 5thHorseman »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:40 am
I think some people are getting sensitive about a game they really like being criticized. I get it.
For me personally that has nothing to do with it. I just flat out disagree with the premise of this entire thread, and also with the idea that combat needs to be more than it is. I also disagree with the idea that modding is somehow the wrong way to add value to a game, especially one in which so much development time has been put into making modding as easy as possible.
Image Image

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by netmand »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:40 am
I've turned biter settings up, to pretty ridiculous levels while turning resources down and spaced out to require the utilization of trains. Where do I go from here to make the game different and interesting? [...] Could it be more interesting, with more tools available and or new threats? Absolutely.
To me the game's greatest appeal is the simplicity and current level of content. Biter properties and resource availability are small factors in my games. More biters means I make more guns (or make them faster), thinner resources means I make more logistical materials (e.g. tracks and trains). The challenge I embrace and my continuing interest is solving the automation and logistical problems; and sometimes tackling the opportunity of making my creations more efficient. When I have to come up with creative way to solve an issue the resulting resolution is far more rewarding than being handed a way to do it from the devs through a would-be new mechanic.

The game has enough to improve upon (i.e. bugs and refinement) before adding new content and mechanics. I think the game should get to version 1.0 before they add more things to play with.

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:56 am
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:40 am
I think some people are getting sensitive about a game they really like being criticized. I get it.
For me personally that has nothing to do with it. I just flat out disagree with the premise of this entire thread, and also with the idea that combat needs to be more than it is. I also disagree with the idea that modding is somehow the wrong way to add value to a game, especially one in which so much development time has been put into making modding as easy as possible.
So what do you want added to the game post 1.0? Nothing?
netmand wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:58 pm
Mythoss wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:40 am
I've turned biter settings up, to pretty ridiculous levels while turning resources down and spaced out to require the utilization of trains. Where do I go from here to make the game different and interesting? [...] Could it be more interesting, with more tools available and or new threats? Absolutely.
To me the game's greatest appeal is the simplicity and current level of content. Biter properties and resource availability are small factors in my games. More biters means I make more guns (or make them faster), thinner resources means I make more logistical materials (e.g. tracks and trains). The challenge I embrace and my continuing interest is solving the automation and logistical problems; and sometimes tackling the opportunity of making my creations more efficient. When I have to come up with creative way to solve an issue the resulting resolution is far more rewarding than being handed a way to do it from the devs through a would-be new mechanic.

The game has enough to improve upon (i.e. bugs and refinement) before adding new content and mechanics. I think the game should get to version 1.0 before they add more things to play with.
I find it interesting that even you admit that dealing with the biters is as simplistic as make more guns. This is party because of how effective baseline turrets and turret ammo is. Low tech ammo is also easy to produce or in the case of lasers, even easier. If turrets didn't scale as well and new, complex ammos were introduced that you could load in to existing turrets, you'd have new logistical problems to solve. The other issue is bitters lack any kind of immunities or resistances so you can pretty much get away with stacking your desired turret. Spitters can't out range even the gun turret so there is no reason to counter with long range artillery. The irony of this all is by expanding on combat you open up so many opportunities for the logistical problems you love to solve:

Force field generator could take an immense amount of power, requiring a new fusion reactor with its whole chain and possibly new resources.

Rail gun turrets would need a whole new ammo chain to deal with heavily armored and resistant bitters.

New fluids that can be loaded into the flamethrower turrets that behave differently. Acid to strip armor, tar to slow enemies but can be ignited if desired?

New mech vehicle with a complex production chain, ect.

Basically you get more tools to solve the problem. Not every tool is going to be for the job, but the more you have aviable on your "toolbelt" the more complex problem solving defense becomes.

Obviously it's too late to add any of this now before 1.0. I don't know why that keeps getting brought up.

I think it's safe to assume anything being added at this point would be post 1.0.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by 5thHorseman »

Mythoss wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm
So what do you want added to the game post 1.0? Nothing?
Yeah, basically. If they fix the Blueprint library and fluids I'm good.
Image Image

User avatar
disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by disentius »

I find it interesting that even you admit that dealing with the biters is as simplistic as make more guns.
Ah. Language again.
I am not interested in how easy or simplistic biters are, it is not a core mechanic of the game, just a resource sink with some shock effects added.
Factorio was never meant to be combat oriented. Yes, this attracts a specific kind of players. No, you are obviously not one of them.

Post Reply

Return to β€œGeneral discussion”