Friday Facts #350 - Electric mining drill redesign

Regular reports on Factorio development.

WarpZone
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #350 - Electric mining drill redesign

Post by WarpZone »

I'm gonna be honest. It needs some damage to the ground beneath it. I don't care if said damage just looks like cracks and lumps of dirt. I don't care if said damage magically appears when the drill is set down before it's even had a chance to run for the first time (I.E., it's a baked-in part of the base texture.) That drill coming up with completely clean untouched ground beneath it more than undercuts the environment-ravaging imagery you tried to evoke with the rest of the drill design. Instead of gently harvesting a field, New Drill looks like it's comically bouncing off the ground harmlessly. Take all the VRAM you want, just please fix it.

Ecconia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ecconia »

The current new design of mining drills has a major flaw. When will you redesign it again?

The image speaks for itself:
Screenshot from 2020-07-24 13-30-24.png
Screenshot from 2020-07-24 13-30-24.png (850.53 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
As you can see Factorio has a huge awesome level of detail, all components are designed to cover as few as possible of the above tile!
All components?! NO the new mining drill gives a heavy big load of poop on this SUPER AWESOME concept!

-> I constantly place belts and any components including drills one tile to high, cause not noticing, that the top tile of the graphic is not part of the damn miner.
That is a no-go! Why are you breaking your own rules?

Here is another nice post concerning this issue: viewtopic.php?p=498194#p498194

And its not just my personal preference, you are inconsistent with your own previous well-maintained style!
Please reconsider this change - I really love the new visuals and the lamp on the miners, but the overlay over the top tile is awefull.

I hope you will find an awesome solution for the miners to not overlay this much of the above tiles. Imho its not okay as is.

*EDIT: My point is, I don't want the old design back - I want the new design to be done properly.

*Edit: Thanks for redesigning it <3
Last edited by Ecconia on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factorio API doc is my sworn enemy who keeps me raging! One day I will delete/defeat you!

NekoBaron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NekoBaron »

I still hate it ¬_¬, Im constantly placing belts wrong still/too far apart, I cant even see if they are working from a glance without having to stare at them because the motion of animation is so little.

I get some people like the idea of it being a drill but the old style made more sense, it was grinding the ore on the surface away. Please give us the option to revert the miner graphics.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

NekoBaron wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm
I still hate it ¬_¬, Im constantly placing belts wrong still/too far apart, I cant even see if they are working from a glance without having to stare at them because the motion of animation is so little.

I get some people like the idea of it being a drill but the old style made more sense, it was grinding the ore on the surface away. Please give us the option to revert the miner graphics.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/classic-mining-drill

Return to “News”