Report stolen mods

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Report stolen mods

Post by Optera »

Currently the mod portal offers no way to directly report mods as stolen.

Today RobocafterLP uploaded identical copies of Loader Redux without asking me first:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Loader_Redux
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MoreLoaderRedux

Before anyone starts arguing MIT would allow that. No, MIT does neither allow removal of the included license nor removing the copyright holder in said license, which these reuploads do.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Report stolen mods

Post by Arch666Angel »

Funny enough that he left the gfx credits in :lol:

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Funny enough that he left the gfx credits in :lol:
Because he copied info.json
I'm not as conceited yet as to write credits to myself in my mod descriptions. Given this blatant rip though maybe I should to get credit for my work.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Optera wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Today RobocafterLP uploaded identical copies of Loader Redux without asking me first:
Look here: Six mods published by that person, all of them "created" at most a day ago. Four of these mods have changelogs that go back several months or even years. Stupid. :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Do we use this as a collector thread?

This mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WaterWellRev is altered and republished under new license against the original license.

Original mod (I'm a collaborator): https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WaterWell

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Given certain not-so-recent-anymore discussions about mod licenses and the reaction of certain wube developers to it i'm very interested in how this turns out. Have there been blatant license violations reported before?

Threads from the last big license discussion:
viewtopic.php?p=455541#p455541
viewtopic.php?p=455423#p455423
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

To my knowledge there is no moderation on the mod portal nor a way to report blatant copies. Hence my request to add a way to report mods.
Uploading such blatant rips on sites like nexus gets you banned almost instantly.

I would like for fair moderation with common sense rather than having to add 100 page legal documents to each of my mods and threaten lawsuits.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

+1, even if it is just a more obvious link which pops open a policy/procedure and an e-mail address at Wube.

dockmeister
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dockmeister »

Optera wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Uploading such blatant rips on sites like nexus gets you banned almost instantly.

I would like for fair moderation with common sense rather than having to add 100 page legal documents to each of my mods and threaten lawsuits.
I said it in discord yesterday:
In regards to the re-upload of Loaders Redux, i don't see any infringement, rip, stolen content or violation of the MIT license. His mod does contain your MIT license and you're still named as an author in the info.json.
It is certainly not very transparent what changes were made and it will lead to confusion for players searching for this mod (especially ingame).
But there might be perfectly valid reasons for his upload, covered by the MIT license.

I cannot say anything about More Loaders Redux.

It would be nice, however, to have a more sought out mechanism to deal with issues like that.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

dockmeister wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:10 pm
Optera wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:35 pm

I said it in discord yesterday:
In regards to the re-upload of Loaders Redux, i don't see any infringement, rip, stolen content or violation of the MIT license. His mod does contain your MIT license and you're still named as an author in the info.json.
It is certainly not very transparent what changes were made and it will lead to confusion for players searching for this mod (especially ingame).
But there might be perfectly valid reasons for his upload, covered by the MIT license.

I cannot say anything about More Loaders Redux.

It would be nice, however, to have a more sought out mechanism to deal with issues like that.
More Loaders Redux has dropped License.md and is still identical to Loaders Redux except for like 8 additional lines of code adding some customized loaders, and some additional graphics files. There's far better ways to do what he was trying to do than to clone the base mod, and then clone it again to add additional loaders with the first clone as a dependency.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

A better way would be to just read the FAQ of LR.
You can create custom loaders and register them through the API and LR will take care of them as if they where part of it.

I don't see how someone not even capable of doing that hopes to even support LR.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

I am happy that some of my mods are copied and supported without my attention. The mod support was pretty good automatized!

The mod Delete Empty Chunks was based on my work, but it's now much better than my mod was before.

Another good mod is Load-Furn Advanced Furnaces, what was based on this mod. The mod got own graphics, it was reworked and it's a good example why you must give another authors the permission to make their forks.

Better more better mods than less poor mods. Yes, here always can be someone, that is more talented as you.
Last edited by darkfrei on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

You have to differentiate between someone capable picking up a mod you no longer want, improving and supporting it, and someone doing a carbon copy of one of the most downloaded mods on the portal just to slap his name on it to grab some attention.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Again could we please have some moderation on the portal.

I just had the displeasure of interacting with another black sheep constantly ripping mods with no regards of the authors license.
https://mods.factorio.com/user/ptx0

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

you would have to point out the text in the license that disallows the modification I made for compatibility reasons - oops, no, that exception is granted in the license.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

also, "constantly" ripping mods with disregard for license? please - only one is in dispute, and it wasn't even authored by you - and the rest are all GNU GPLv3 or AGPLv3.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm
you would have to point out the text in the license that disallows the modification I made for compatibility reasons - oops, no, that exception is granted in the license.
Presumably you are talking about my License.
Again here's the exception granted to specifically two files:
Exceptions to the no modification rule include:

- Minor bug fixes/tweak for compatibility reasons, such as altering the dependencies line in info.json to force a load order in a modpack.
- Config - Any config.lua file may be edited and freely redistributed by itself.
Odd you don't instantly start arguing Github would overrule my license like you did on the deleted post on your ripped mod.
That debate came up before and let me tell you, Github does not overwrite project licenses.

Licensing aside, what do you hope to gain from picking a mod with thousands of downloads and slapping your name on it? 5 minutes of fame!?
I highly doubt you'd be capable of maintaining Edurans work.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Licensing aside, what do you hope to gain from picking a mod with thousands of downloads and slapping your name on it? 5 minutes of fame!?
oh, this is what it comes down to really, you think I care at all about recognition. i think your ego is speaking for you here. I just wanted to allow users to join my server automatically without receiving a message that mods mismatch or are unavailable. the reason I slapped my name on it is so the users recognise it's not the original mod.

and what do YOU hope to gain by removing a mod with thousands of downloads? 5 minutes of fame?!

i don't intend on UPDATING THE WORK, all I need to do is apply pull requests from others who want it to do X or Y.

also, eduran could always just come back and update his mod and then I remove mine from the portal! It's not like I didn't give him credit, I linked to the original forum thread.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

maybe I will do this, because you seem to think you are the only one who is capable of anything around here? I'm a Linux developer with tons of background on this kind of stuff, maybe take yourself down a peg or two.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Can we have a response from Wube on this? There are thieves operating with impunity on the portal.

In the cases where mods have been ripped due to ignorance or incompetence rather than pre-meditated theft, or if a modder simply wants to discontinue a mod, they can't even delete their own entries on the mod portal. At the moment, the only recourse is to upload an empty zip and then delete all the older versions, which has the side effect of wiping the mod from the hard disks of everyone that clicks on "update".

I don't know why the portal forces us to go through all these legalese shenanigans if there's absolutely no recourse or any way at all to protect your work.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”