Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.17.x] Bio-Industries

Post by Pi-C »

darkfrei wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:34 pm
Just keep it just as
bi-biomass-conversion=Use algae biomass to produce light oil and cellulose

And it works for all of them, for tier 1, 2, 3 etc
Except the different recipe tiers have different outputs (the last one also has other inputs):

Code: Select all

bi_biomass_conversion_1=Use algae biomass to produce light oil and cellulose
bi_biomass_conversion_2=Use algae biomass to produce petroleum gas
bi_biomass_conversion_3=Use algae biomass to produce lubricant
bi_biomass_conversion_4=Use algae biomass to produce crude oil and water
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:40 pm
darkfrei wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:34 pm
Just keep it just as
bi-biomass-conversion=Use algae biomass to produce light oil and cellulose

And it works for all of them, for tier 1, 2, 3 etc
Except the different recipe tiers have different outputs (the last one also has other inputs):

bi_biomass_conversion_3=Use algae biomass to produce lubricant
bi_biomass_conversion_4=Use algae biomass to produce crude oil and water
The issue must be reported by the modding interface request, some exception by technology description.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

darkfrei wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:46 pm
The issue must be reported by the modding interface request, some exception by technology description.
That was actually from recipe description. I think it should be changed everywhere:

[technology-name]
bi_tech_coal_processing_1=Coal processing 1
bi_tech_coal_processing_2=Coal processing 2

[technology-description]
bi_tech_coal_processing_1=Burn wood to get charcoal and ash
bi_tech_coal_processing_2=Process charcoal to coal and solid fuel to pellet-coke

[recipe-name]
bi_biomass_conversion_1=Bio fuel conversion 1: Cellulose, light oil
bi_biomass_conversion_2=Bio fuel conversion 2: Petroleum gas

[recipe-description]
Nevertheless, many names will have to be changed, whether I'll keep the underscores or not. The "recipe" in recipe names has to go for sure, it's not conventional and contrary to what other mods expect. But I'll make a modding interface request. Thanks for the hint! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

RickJS wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:56 am
I don't understand the difference between change terrain - basic and change terrain - advanced. Is the second one faster, or makes the land more fertile, or it makes the fertilized patches contiguous, or it works on worse terrain, or what?
The basic recipe will transform the terrain to tiles of prototype "grass-3", the advanced recipe will transform it to "grass-1". Fertility is set to 100 for "grass-1" and to 85 for "grass-3", and it affects the growth time of trees (higher fertility --> lower growth time) so trees grow faster on "grass-1" than on "grass-3".

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm
Official announcement for modders:

The next release of Bio Industries will break mods that reference prototypes (entities/fluids, items, recipes, technologies) defined by BI. I've changed the prototype names in response to this bug report.
Reverted some changes. The attached file contains the list of prototypes that really will be changed in the next release (0.17.35 AND 0.18.1). I'll probably upload on Monday.
Attachments
BioIndustries_0.17.35+0.18.01.json
(6.64 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I've just uploaded versions 0.17.35 and 0.18.1. Here are the changes (almost identical):

gendalf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gendalf »

There an issue with the values of fuels (assuming I haven't made any mistakes), not counting energy spent on production, the resulting MJ gains are as follows:
initial value is 24x1MJ so
then -4MJ per wood brick
then -18MJ per solid fuel (-22MJ total loss per solid fuel)
then +8MJ per pellet coke (-14MJ total loss per pellet coke)

so really all of these recipes are pointless, the only incentive is condensing the items for easier deliveries?
Last edited by gendalf on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

gendalf wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:24 pm
what's the point of producing anything over just using charcoal, which gains you 1.2MJ?
Charcoal does have a higher fuel value, but burning it causes more pollution. Also, solid fuel will give a bonus of 5% to vehicle acceleration, and pellet coke will even give you a 20% vehicle acceleration bonus plus a 10% bonus to vehicle top speed. So, if you can afford it, using pellet coke as train fuel will be better than using charcoal because of the bonuses, and it's better than coal or solid fuel because it also stacks higher (400, like charcoal, vs. 50) so you'll not only get the bonuses, but a stack will last longer as well, so you don't have to refuel as often.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.17.x/0.18.x] Bio-Industries

Post by Pi-C »

I just uploaded versions 0.17.38 and 0.18.5. Here are the changes:

embermctillhawk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by embermctillhawk »

__Bio_Industries__/control.lua:191: attempt to index global 'data' (a nil value)
This appears in 0.18 gameplay during the seed bomb explosion.

EDIT: It also causes all the saplings planted by the seed bomb to not grow, ever. Hand-planted saplings in the same area will grow, resulting in grown trees surrounded by useless saplings.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

embermctillhawk wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 pm

__Bio_Industries__/control.lua:191: attempt to index global 'data' (a nil value)

EDIT: It also causes all the saplings planted by the seed bomb to not grow, ever. Hand-planted saplings in the same area will grow, resulting in grown trees surrounded by useless saplings.
Yep, I've already noticed this. It's quite a stupid bug, actually, and I'm already preparing a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

embermctillhawk wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 pm

This should be fixed in 0.17.39/0.18.6. Trees planted with the terraformer or using a seed bomb should also grow again.

Buhamut
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Buhamut »

New bug with version 18.6:
Spamming lower left corner of screen with the message:

__Bio_Industries__/control.lua:689: attempt to concatenate local 'tree_name' (a nil value)

[edit] Fixed it on my end by moving the debug print statement on line 689 down one line to below the if nil check.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Buhamut wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 pm
New bug with version 18.6:
Spamming lower left corner of screen with the message:

__Bio_Industries__/control.lua:689: attempt to concatenate local 'tree_name' (a nil value)

[edit] Fixed it on my end by moving the debug print statement on line 689 down one line to below the if nil check.
Thanks for the report! However, this has already been fixed in 0.17.40/0.18.7, which were uploaded about half an hour ago. :-D

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Warning: Please don't update to Factorio 0.18.18 yet if you have Bio Industries installed!
This will crash on start-up because the update changed some sound definitions. This crash is already fixed in BI 0.18.12, which I'm currently working on.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Pi-C wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:41 pm
This crash is already fixed in BI 0.18.12, which I'm currently working on.
Just uploaded the fix. :-)

i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.17.x] Bio-Industries Game Tweaks

Post by i_i »

Game Tweaks:
Tree Collision box made smaller
~Option size
Steel Axe requires Iron Axe
~ No longer available or Needed?

Disassemble Recipes:
- Burner-mining-drill
- Steel-furnace
- Stone furnace
- Burner inserter
- Long handed inserter
Additional Disassembling items like Armor & pistols

HOW to activate this Disassembler is there a separate machine that does this or a box to throw it in side like a scrap box?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.17.x] Bio-Industries Game Tweaks

Post by Pi-C »

i_i wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 am
Game Tweaks:
Tree Collision box made smaller
~Option size
Not sure I want to do this. There are about 75 different kinds of trees, and each kind gets assigned an individual "weight" for different terrains:

terrains["vegetation-green-grass-2"] = {
  name = "vegetation-green-grass-2",
  ["tree-desert-h"] = {
    tile_name = "vegetation-green-grass-2",
    tree_name = "tree-desert-h",
    weight = 2
  },
  ["tree-desert-i"] = {
    tree_name = "tree-desert-i",
    weight = 3
  },
  ["tree-dryland-e"] = {
    tree_name = "tree-dryland-e",
    weight = 206
  },
[…]
So, making the collision box size variable certainly would cause problems down the road.
Steel Axe requires Iron Axe
~ No longer available or Needed?
As the axes got axed in 0.17, this is obsolete and I don't recall seeing axe recipes in the code. The mod's info page is quite out of date and really needs some clean up (that's also true for the images in the gallery), thanks for reminding me of that! I just removed this line from the mod description. :-)

HOW to activate this Disassembler is there a separate machine that does this or a box to throw it in side like a scrap box?
After you've researched "Automation 2", disassembler recipes can be used even in the basic assemblers. Also, you've to set a startup option for this to work:
BI_settings.png
BI_settings.png (269.33 KiB) Viewed 4779 times

i_i
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by i_i »

i use the https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TreePlant Mod for the Hitbox Making the hitbox smaller also make the biters pass though them which i want to avoid. Trees generally should have a large Base to block bitters and cars.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Sounds reasonable, but I'm still against making the collision box variable. To be honest, I can't even tell you what the weight property means (Tree density? Probability of growing in a certain terrain?) because I haven't dealt with that yet. (It's not my mod, I've just stepped in as collaborator while the original author is away from Factorio.)

What I could do is adding an option to disable BI's small collision box so the original collision boxes from vanilla or other mods making trees would be used. I currently have little time for testing, though (haven't even played for weeks), so I won't guarantee that this would work without any side effects, and I'll probably not be able to fix these in the near future. If you're willing to take that risk, I'll add the setting for 0.17.45/0.18.13.

Return to “Mods”