MOD [ 0.18.x / 1.1 ] Bio-Industries

Topics and discussion about specific mods
spasitel775
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.17.x] Bio-Industries

Post by spasitel775 »

Hello, i've found a bug when both "Bio-Industries" and "Angel's Bio Processing" turn on.

Fertilizer recipe requires "Nitrogen", but all other recipes produce "Nitrogen gas".
nitrogen-bug2.png
nitrogen-bug2.png (286.62 KiB) Viewed 7083 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

spasitel775 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 pm
Hello, i've found a bug when both "Bio-Industries" and "Angel's Bio Processing" turn on.

Fertilizer recipe requires "Nitrogen", but all other recipes produce "Nitrogen gas".

nitrogen-bug2.png
Thanks for the report. Should be fixed in 0.17.27 now.

dfht684
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dfht684 »

Thanks for the mod! Just got my first micro factory for wood going.

I'm regards to the pollution multiplier: Nuclear @ 5x seems strange since by your definition it's highly refined in Factorio and should have lesser pollution. I guess nuclear fuel is different in that you're potentially spewing radioactive material in the exhaust.

Nevermind, just also noticed the fuel value. How does raw pollution emitted relate? Would a valid shorthand be 1 fuel per 1 unit of pollution? Nuclear fuel would emit then 5 units over the 1200 fuel value? I noticed the multipliers in game but don't remember seeing any raw values.

Thanks again!

CBfromOZ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CBfromOZ »

Love the mod. I mostly play with pretty much vanilla + bio and a collection of other random small mods.

Two things id love to see in bio-industries are:

* sawdust+resin = wood (at some crappy conversion rate). Playing vanilla, i dont really have a use for resin and often end up with way too much sawdust so it would be nice to convert it to something else.

* a setting switch for 'vanilla railroad production' because i also play multiplayer with a friend who doesnt do bio and this is the major point of contention for blueprints.

Other than that im so happy making awesome little renewable bio industry worlds!

Great mod! Love it!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

CBfromOZ wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:55 am
Two things id love to see in bio-industries are:

* sawdust+resin = wood (at some crappy conversion rate). Playing vanilla, i dont really have a use for resin and often end up with way too much sawdust so it would be nice to convert it to something else.
I also use Rubber belts, which requires rubber (made from resin in furnaces) instead of iron plates for tier 1 transport belts. Don't quite like the medium/large/huge wooden chests, so at least rubber belts give me a purpose for resin.

About "sawdust" -- I guess you mean "wood pulp"? Since BI 0.17.22, you can make Wood Fuel Bricks from it (24 wood pulp --> 1 wood fuel brick @20.0MJ, 120% Pollution). These can be further processed into solid fuel (3 wood fuel bricks --> 2 solid fuel), so there's a nice sink for pulp.
* a setting switch for 'vanilla railroad production' because i also play multiplayer with a friend who doesnt do bio and this is the major point of contention for blueprints.
Is that about blueprints for the actual production of rails, or about blueprints using the wrong kind of rails? There already is a recipe to upgrade wooden rails to the vanilla version (3 wooden rails + 10 stone bricks --> 2 vanilla rails).
Other than that im so happy making awesome little renewable bio industry worlds!

Great mod! Love it!
Totally agree! Currently, I use a setup of 4 Bio nurseries (seeds), 16 Bio nurseries (saplings), and 32 Bio farms (all using the recipes with the basic fertilizer) on a map with almost minimum settings for coal. All of the wood pulp coming out of the bio farms goes into solid fuel. Part of the wood is turned into petrol gas (used to make sulfur for fertilizer) + tar (will be used for asphalt) by wood gasification, part of it is burned to ash (again, to make fertilizer), and another part is fed back into the seeds production -- the excess is processed into coal. It won't keep a mega base alive, but it's quite enough at the level of blue science. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

CBfromOZ wrote:

I like the idea. Will implement in the next update.
CBfromOZ wrote:

Yeah, I should never have tweaked the Vanilla rail... But that's now water under the bridge.
Not much that can be done unfortunately.

dfht684 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:43 am

I'm regards to the pollution multiplier: Nuclear @ 5x seems strange since by your definition it's highly refined in Factorio and should have lesser pollution. I guess nuclear fuel is different in that you're potentially spewing radioactive material in the exhaust.

I used the 5x from Bobs. He added Nuclear fuel and gave it that pollution value. I would actually think Nuclear would be clean...but leaving it for now.

CBfromOZ wrote:

Great mod! Love it!
Pi-C wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 am

Totally agree!

Thanks guys!

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

dfht684 wrote:

Nevermind, just also noticed the fuel value. How does raw pollution emitted relate? Would a valid shorthand be 1 fuel per 1 unit of pollution? Nuclear fuel would emit then 5 units over the 1200 fuel value? I noticed the multipliers in game but don't remember seeing any raw values.

Thanks again!
The way it works is that a building has a set pollution amount it puts out (typically valued in pollution per minute), and then a fuel multiplies that. By default, a fuel multiplies it by *1*, but this can be changed up or down.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

TheSAguy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:23 pm
I used the 5x from Bobs. He added Nuclear fuel and gave it that pollution value. I would actually think Nuclear would be clean...but leaving it for now.
There's no way to know. "Nuclear fuel" has no real-world analog to compare against. Since the recipe calls for about 10% chemical fuel to be combined with 90% nuclear fuel by power value, I'd suggest having it pollute by 0.1 multiplier.

CBfromOZ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CBfromOZ »

TheSAguy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Yeah, I should never have tweaked the Vanilla rail... But that's now water under the bridge.
Not much that can be done unfortunately.
Is there some reason you cant drop it back to the usual format?

You could add an alternative recipe for it that is more productive/cheaper when you use more detailed components?

Eg, rather than IRON STICK+STEEL+STONE => 2 rails
players could setup up IRON STICK (5)+ STEEL (8)+ STONE (2)+ CRUSHED STONE (7)+ CONCRETE (1) => 20 rails

(Ive only put 20 seconds of thoughts into that formula but that way the vanilla production would work but if you could super charge it with bio if you wanted to make the more complex process)

cheers

PS: Still my favorite mod.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Is it possible to add module positions to the rock crushers? When making rails for the purple science, I have trouble keeping production up.
Thanks.

For the post above: I use the following recipe for the vanilla rails:
-- fix rail recipe
data.raw.recipe["rail"].ingredients =
{ {"concrete", 2}, {"stone", 1}, {"steel-plate", 1}, {"iron-stick", 1} }
data.raw.recipe["rail"].result_count = 1

I see no reason to use both stone and crushed stone in the rail recipe. Although changing the stone to crushed stone does make sense in this mod.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:53 pm
Is it possible to add module positions to the rock crushers? When making rails for the purple science, I have trouble keeping production up.
Thanks.
Added in 0.17.32

Thanks for the feedback.

billystar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by billystar »

hey,
will it be playable with the new version? have a savegame with tons of stuff from the mod in my base :shock:

dfht684
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dfht684 »

billystar wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:01 pm
hey,
will it be playable with the new version? have a savegame with tons of stuff from the mod in my base :shock:
The mod has worked fine on latest experimental factorio version (17.XX)

dfht684
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dfht684 »

Adamo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 pm
dfht684 wrote:

Thanks again!
The way it works is that a building has a set pollution amount it puts out (typically valued in pollution per minute), and then a fuel multiplies that. By default, a fuel multiplies it by *1*, but this can be changed up or down.
Locomotives don't have a pollution rate listed. But from other threads, it seems train pollution is 'minimal'.

If we assume the locomotive also operates on a standard rate (1/min), then fuel value would not affect the overall rate of pollution, just how often the train needs to be fueled. I'm considering ways to lower pollution so I don't have to bother with manual targeting of my artillery trains as often.

RickJS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RickJS »

I don't understand the difference between change terrain - basic and change terrain - advanced. Is the second one faster, or makes the land more fertile, or it makes the fertilized patches contiguous, or it works on worse terrain, or what?

RickJS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RickJS »

TheSAguy, please explain about the solar power plant and boiler. What is the purpose of the panel at the base of the tower? When I put the mouse pointer on it, I get a red square, and clicking on it doesn't seen to do anything. It won't accept a circuit wire.

The power consumption of the boiler is sometimes steady and sometimes fluctuates, regardless of whether I an drawing off steam (into tanks, for instance). I can't tell what it depends upon.

What does the light on the top of the tower indicate? With 5 adjacent solar power plants connected together (water, steam, and electricity), some can be lit while others are off. The light is pretty reliably on at night.

I'm not able to find any sense in this.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Official announcement for modders:

The next release of Bio Industries will break mods that reference prototypes (entities/fluids, items, recipes, technologies) defined by BI. I've changed the prototype names in response to this bug report. Basically, I turned all dashes in prototype names to underscores:

Code: Select all

OLD: "bi-solar-boiler-2" 
NEW: "bi_solar_boiler_2"
For recipes, I also removed the string "recipe" from the name:

OLD: "bi-recipe-seed-1"
NEW: "bi_seed_1"
There are some special changes that are different:

OLD: "bi_recipe_greenhouse"
NEW: "bi_bio_greenhouse"

OLD: "bi_recipe_boiler"
NEW: "bi_bio_boiler"

OLD: "bi_recipe_accumulator"
NEW: "bi_bio_accumulator"

OLD: "bi_recipe_solar_boiler_panel"
NEW: "bi_solar_boiler_2"

OLD: "bi_recipe_bi_dart_rifle"
NEW: "bi_dart_rifle"
I've fixed several bugs that I deem important enough to justify a release for 0.17 and 0.18. If your mod will be affected by this change to BI, it would be nice if you could also update your 0.17 version.

It will probably still take me a while until I can release the new version, so you'll have some time to prepare. :-)

(Just in case you wonder: TheSAguy asked me to take care of his mod for a while, so I took the chance to change some things that bugged me and to fix some bugs/implement some ideas that I found on the mod-portal discussion page.)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm
Basically, I turned all dashes in prototype names to underscores
Why underscores are better than dashes? If underscores are better, why vanilla doesn't use them?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

darkfrei wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:58 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm
Basically, I turned all dashes in prototype names to underscores
Why underscores are better than dashes? If underscores are better, why vanilla doesn't use them?
The important thing making a change necessary was that many the recipes of several entities had different names than the entities (and thus wouldn't work with deconstruction mods). I tried to go with dashes, but that caused issues with the localization keys. See for example:

bi-biomass-conversion-1=Use algae biomass to produce light oil and cellulose!
This doesn't work, the "1" (or was it even "-1") is cut off, so you'll see a "localization key missing" message. With underscores, it just works. I could have used

bi-biomass-conversion_1=Use algae biomass to produce light oil and cellulose!
However, this would also involve a change in names, and it is easier to use either dash or underscore only in one string than a combination of both.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Just keep it just as
bi-biomass-conversion=Use algae biomass to produce light oil and cellulose

And it works for all of them, for tier 1, 2, 3 etc

Return to “Mods”