[SOLVED] Extremely Slow Map Download on New Computer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[SOLVED] Extremely Slow Map Download on New Computer

Post by morsk »

681.067 Verbose TransferTarget.cpp:201: Received block 4159 that we didn't request
681.067 Verbose TransferTarget.cpp:201: Received block 4158 that we didn't request
681.067 Verbose TransferTarget.cpp:201: Received block 4157 that we didn't request
681.067 Verbose TransferTarget.cpp:201: Received block 4156 that we didn't request
684.050 Verbose TransferTarget.cpp:201: Received block 5113 that we didn't request
This is during map download, and it makes it take forever, 2 Mbps download instead of 30+. This is for public servers, not random people.

Solution: I had Verizon change a setting on the "modem" (Optical Network Terminal) so I could connect the router to it over Ethernet instead of Coax. This doesn't explain why Factorio worked (and still works) on one machine, but not the other. But at least it fixed it.

Rant: Factorio is still silly for having its flow control crash and burn at higher speeds, instead of just going slower. And for giving no feedback. The UI says nothing, the log says nothing unless it's on verbose, and even then it says nothing useful. How many people have similar problems, but simply think "the server is slow" because the game doesn't tell them what's happening? We don't know.

Original Post
Last edited by morsk on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.

kbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.69] Extremely Slow Map Download on New Computer

Post by kbk »

morsk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 am
All machines are fresh installs of Windows 10, with bios updates and Windows updates.

Code: Select all

<...>  
0.061  Adapter [1]: Microsoft Basic Render Driver {1414-8c} (10.0.18362.356)
<...>  

From here I'd throw in a guess that you probably might have skipped chipset and etc drivers installation. Contrary to popular belief that OS should handle it by itself I think nobody should leave this unchecked.

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

kbk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:38 pm
From here I'd throw in a guess that you probably might have skipped chipset and etc drivers installation. Contrary to popular belief that OS should handle it by itself I think nobody should leave this unchecked.
I did install them, from USB before I even let the computer go online. But I can try redoing it.

I couldn't find much about "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" from google. I assume that because 3700x has no onboard video, it's some kind of placeholder? It doesn't show up in Device Manager. I'll try some more games though and see if they also list it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

morsk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:17 pm
kbk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:38 pm
I did install them, from USB before I even let the computer go online. But I can try redoing it.

I couldn't find much about "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" from google. I assume that because 3700x has no onboard video, it's some kind of placeholder? It doesn't show up in Device Manager. I'll try some more games though and see if they also list it.
It means that you never installed the graphics card driver. If you never installed the graphics card driver there is a good chance you never installed other drivers which could explain why you're getting such poor transfer speeds.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Code: Select all

0.059 Verbose GraphicsInterfaceDX11.cpp:260: DXGI 1.5 detected, Allow tearing is supported
   0.060  Adapter [0]: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 {10de-13c2} (23.21.13.8813)
   0.061  Adapter [1]: Microsoft Basic Render Driver {1414-8c} (10.0.18362.356)
   0.103 Initialised Direct3D[0]: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970; id: 10de-13c2; driver: nvldumdx.dll 23.21.13.8813
Microsoft Basic Render Driver is Microsoft's software rasterizer that's is always present and is used if you don't have other graphics driver installed, or as reference rasterizer to test a graphics glitch is not caused by incorrect usage of a graphics API but by driver bug. As long as "Initilised Direct3D" line lists actual GPU, presence of Microsoft Basic Render Driver elsewhere in the log is fine.

However, the nVidia driver you have is at version 388.13, which is 2 years old, so it is probably a version that was installed by Windows.

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Drivers: I had all drivers from the motherboard's website, but let Windows do the video card. (Since my priority was to test Factorio multiplayer.) I've since found slightly newer drivers from AMD/Realtek/Intel, and Nvidia's 436.48, but it didn't improve things.

Capping Ethernet at 10 Mbps makes it better. (I tried this because wifi was better than wired. Slower was better, so I tried making Ethernet slower too.) I still get "received block" errors in the log, while I get no errors on the old machine, at 40+ Mbps. So I doubt it's traffic shaping by ISP; if it doesn't trigger at 40+ Mbps on the other computer, it's not going to trigger at 10 Mbps.

I have no idea what it is, except that more speed makes it worse. :/

Old machine
New machine
New machine, 10 Mbps

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Some things that didn't help:
  1. iperf to test UDP. (iperf3 --bandwidth 50M --udp --reverse --client iperf.he.net) Both machines get 29.5 Mbps if I request 100, and go to 100 if I request more than 100. I don't understand this difference. But it's the same on both machines.
  2. Trying the same wifi card on both machines. (I don't have a LAN card.) It performs better than wired, but I think only because it's slower. It still gets spikes and then goes down to a low speed, and has "received block ..." on one machine, but not the other.
  3. Disabling "offloading" and energy-efficiency settings in the network adapter. I also tried toggling things like Flow Control.
  4. Disabling Windows Firewall.
  5. Factory reset the router (Fios-G1100).
  6. DMZ

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

It sounds dumb, but routers can just start going bad. If it's an ISP provided one it's more likely than not, they're usually not good quality.

A niche thing which probably doesn't matter here, Windows Defender/Antivirus whatever scans EVERY FILE on write, if not access, and can't be turned off in Windows 10 (it turns itself back on after reboots). I say niche, because I only knew about it from compiling at work. We used a lot of small file accessing and generation, and Windows Defender would consume literally half the processing time (20-30 minutes wasted on a complex compile). Factorio's %APPDATA% folder can be excluded from a virus scan.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by morsk »

Honktown wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm
It sounds dumb, but routers can just start going bad. If it's an ISP provided one it's more likely than not, they're usually not good quality.
I had to wait to try this; Verizon had to change a setting before I could try the Internet without their router. But it turns out that alone made it work. The router performs better when connected over Ethernet. :D

I still find it fairly deranged that all my downloads and torrents could work, and even Factorio worked on one of the machines. And iperf gave identical results. Factorio has truly strange requirements...
Honktown wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm
A niche thing which probably doesn't matter here, Windows Defender/Antivirus whatever scans EVERY FILE on write, if not access, and can't be turned off in Windows 10 (it turns itself back on after reboots). I say niche, because I only knew about it from compiling at work. We used a lot of small file accessing and generation, and Windows Defender would consume literally half the processing time (20-30 minutes wasted on a complex compile). Factorio's %APPDATA% folder can be excluded from a virus scan.
Hm. I didn't know about this, and I'm glad you mentioned it. But I don't think it will hurt Factorio the way it hurts a compile, because Factorio doesn't need 100% of every core the way a compile does. Still, it can't hurt. Any delay between map download and being able to load the map would be more time catching up to the server.

Return to “Technical Help”