Friday Facts #315 - New test servers

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #315 - New test servers

Post by FactorioBot »

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #315 - New test servers

Post by Gergely »

Save and reload each tick...

Talk about being extremely thorough...

Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ubertwink »

Oh no! i9-10980xe and 3950x get released in November :(

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Super-interested in the idea of turning off the "base" mod (then maybe the ability to load in a sub-set of base mod features, e.g. terrain).

pato
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pato »

i wish there would be more action in the game like in this video. I was not aware that just 2 laser turrets and 4 gun turrets could stop so big attacks. biters UP

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:01 pm
Super-interested in the idea of turning off the "base" mod (then maybe the ability to load in a sub-set of base mod features, e.g. terrain).
We used to be able to do that but the game doesn't let us disable the base mod anymore.

If turning it off would technically break mods, why not make each mod that doesn't explicitly state a strong dependency for any mod implicitly require the base mod?

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

Goddamn, Red Alert 2 has a banging industrial soundtrack. I love it.

PEBKAC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PEBKAC »

Yeah, about modding, any good / recent tutorials out there? I recently wanted to dip my toes in, but I found it terribly hard to get into it. And I'm an IT professional...

Any tips on getting started, anything more descriptive than the default documentation (which, honestly, lack example code), etc?

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

'PC junk' (cables, mice, fans, spidertron, keyboards, SSDs, headphones etc.)
Hey! Stop moving it around the shelves and put it where it belongs - into the game. :)

Also whats that?
1.jpg
1.jpg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 12751 times

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

All this running up to 1.0 stuff really feels like an era is nearing its end.
I bet there will be a feeling of satisfaction but also emptiness when the button to release 1.0 is pressed.
Last edited by TRUEpicness on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

justK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by justK »

Well, I don't like to look like a mad person, but I was triggered by one of the 'PC junks'.
And yeah, I'm requesting the spidertron photo. And also a story why do you have only one of it for all those PCs? Or it just have enough legs to rule them all?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Gergely wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:04 pm
Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:01 pm
We used to be able to do that but the game doesn't let us disable the base mod anymore.
You can still disable the mod, just not in the GUI. You'd make your complete overhaul by just being incompatible with base.
If turning it off would technically break mods, why not make each mod that doesn't explicitly state a strong dependency for any mod implicitly require the base mod?
Base is already the default dependency, if you state none: https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Mod_ ... pendencies
maniak1349 wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 pm
Also whats that?
1.jpg
Potion bottles :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Bilka wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 pm
You can still disable the mod, just not in the GUI. You'd make your complete overhaul by just being incompatible with base.

juliejayne
Inserter
Inserter

Post by juliejayne »

Oh my, that is your server room.... Ordinary shelving. Window open for cooling. No UPS, or are those the 2 boxea at the bottom. Come on guys you should be doing better than this.

Former Network Manager.

I forgive you so long as you keep producing such an awesome game. But server room... Airco, UPS, sealed temperature controlled room, backup system please.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

I tried turning off the base mod a couple version back, I think around 1.12, and making a replacement for it, never finished it, the game would crash on the non-existence of stuff before boot every time, I'd add a new definition and try again. I don't remember if I even got the game to load. Maybe it's easier now. No idea.

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 pm
Potion bottles :)
Those look nice. Where can one get some?
Also are they empty yet or are they empty already? :)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

matjojo wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:37 pm
I tried turning off the base mod a couple version back, I think around 1.12, and making a replacement for it, never finished it, the game would crash on the non-existence of stuff before boot every time, I'd add a new definition and try again. I don't remember if I even got the game to load. Maybe it's easier now. No idea.
It's still difficult. If there is interest, I'd be willing to make a "minimal prototypes needed to load without base" mod.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

m.stitek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by m.stitek »

Would you be willing to benchmark some CPUs you have to show how Factorio behaves on different CPUs? I'm planning to build new computer and Factorio is basically the only CPU heavy application I use. So I'd love to know how current CPUs handle Factorio, but it's superdifficult to get any relevant information.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:40 pm
It's still difficult. If there is interest, I'd be willing to make a "minimal prototypes needed to load without base" mod.
Great interest, but very low urgency. Still interested in the Asciitorio/Trontorio ideas that we floated around Discord, but won't get to look at doing it until after 1.0 / late 2020 most likely.

justK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by justK »

juliejayne wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:36 pm
Oh my, that is your server room....
<skipped>
But server room... Airco, UPS, sealed temperature controlled room, backup system please.
I feel your pain, but from my understanding their 'server room' is not actually a 'server' room, it is just a room where a few PCs doing few dedicated tasks on demand. I mean, it looks like they have all these PCs just for running tests and maybe their SVN system hosting (if it is not hosted online, which is likely because they have staff worldwide), so there is no rush for 99.99, it is likely they are happy if it just works when they have demand for it
Last edited by justK on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to β€œNews”