Topics and discussion about specific mods
Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mylon's Many Mods

Post by Therax »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am
Have you tried ght-bluebuild (bluebuild rewritten)? I found that the original bluebuild still had serious performance problems in multiplayer while ght-bluebuild was faster.
These reports are coming from other players who are using my Miniloader mod. Also, ght-bluebuild has not been updated for 0.17 and may be abandoned.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Therax wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:09 pm
mrvn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am
Have you tried ght-bluebuild (bluebuild rewritten)? I found that the original bluebuild still had serious performance problems in multiplayer while ght-bluebuild was faster.
These reports are coming from other players who are using my Miniloader mod. Also, ght-bluebuild has not been updated for 0.17 and may be abandoned.
I will see it the license allows me to upload a fixed version tonight (if I don't forget). I patched a few things for 0.17 to work.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:01 pm
I will see it the license allows me to upload a fixed version tonight (if I don't forget). I patched a few things for 0.17 to work.
I actually wrote my own from scratch, with some performance improvements to boot. ;)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/autobuild
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

Guilty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilty »

Therax wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 am
mrvn wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:01 pm
I actually wrote my own from scratch, with some performance improvements to boot. ;)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/autobuild
That's awesome! Performance is indeed very important even in singleplayer :)

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

So I got to try out DangOreus finally and find it quite enjoyable so far.
However, I consistently get crashes: Whenever I move too far away from the starting area, I get a popup informing me about an error that can't be fixed before I get sent back to main menu.
DangOreus is the only mod installed besides Change World Settings (game crashes without it, too) and it happens on every DangOreus map.
I attached a screenshot of the message, please let me know if you need anything else.
I'd really hate to skip that scenario, it's so different :roll:
Attachments
20190323185454_1.jpg
20190323185454_1.jpg (554.5 KiB) Viewed 5597 times

Blanabba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Blanabba »

It seems that Prospector produces errors and crashes whenever a prospector entity finishes its scan.

Also, looks like mining a Mk. 2 prospector gives a Mk. 1 back, and vice versa now.

Tested in 0.17.21, seems to happen with non-depleted ore sources at least.
Attachments
prospector error.PNG
prospector error.PNG (170.26 KiB) Viewed 5584 times

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

So I'm thinking of merging Nougat Mining and Peppermint mining. They're both similar enough and even reuse some code from each other. Modes can be switched mid-game. The question is what do I do with the mods? Keep both, with the only difference being default settings?

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Mylon wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm
So I'm thinking of merging Nougat Mining and Peppermint mining. They're both similar enough and even reuse some code from each other. Modes can be switched mid-game. The question is what do I do with the mods? Keep both, with the only difference being default settings?
Publish both as transitional versions. They need contain nothing but migration code to change entities to the new, combined, mod version -- and to depend on the combined mod. That way the user experience is that an additional mod is downloaded, and nothing else changes. I'm 99 percent sure you don't need to "own" the entities you migrate existing ones to, just that they must exist, so the dependent mod will ensure that.

Update the mod portal to tell people they don't need the old version any longer, once they have installed the compatibility version, mark the mods deprecated, and then carry on with only the new one.

Compatibility preserved, you never need update the compat mods, and they don't show up in search. People can deal with the manual "work", as in uninstall the unnecessary compat mod, to fix it when 0.18 lands.

Optionally, yeah, consider as part of the migration doing something to make it use the appropriate defaults or whatever, or just ... honestly, just prompt the user if the older mod(s) are installed, maybe?

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

slippycheeze wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 pm
Mylon wrote:
Publish both as transitional versions. They need contain nothing but migration code to change entities to the new, combined, mod version -- and to depend on the combined mod. That way the user experience is that an additional mod is downloaded, and nothing else changes. I'm 99 percent sure you don't need to "own" the entities you migrate existing ones to, just that they must exist, so the dependent mod will ensure that.

Update the mod portal to tell people they don't need the old version any longer, once they have installed the compatibility version, mark the mods deprecated, and then carry on with only the new one.

Compatibility preserved, you never need update the compat mods, and they don't show up in search. People can deal with the manual "work", as in uninstall the unnecessary compat mod, to fix it when 0.18 lands.

Optionally, yeah, consider as part of the migration doing something to make it use the appropriate defaults or whatever, or just ... honestly, just prompt the user if the older mod(s) are installed, maybe?
Both mods contain no entities. They could run entirely as a scenario and I have sprung these mods on players connecting expecting a vanilla experience! :)

Or I could maintain both mods with identical code and merely different default values and take up extra real estate on the mod portal. :)

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I published a big update to Bot Servicing. It now includes an optional hard mode!

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Mylon wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:00 pm
slippycheeze wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 pm
Mylon wrote:
Publish both as transitional versions. ...etc...
Both mods contain no entities.
They don't? I'm sorry my memory is wrong, then. I thought they did when I looked at the code, but obviously you know better than I do. :)

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

New mod! Assembler Assay. Similar, but not quite, like Bot Servicing. Inspired by Maintenance Madness, this mod means assemblers and mining drills (and soon others) sometimes break and require servicing.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Warptorio2 has really enamored me and it's inspired me to work on This Tank Stops For Nobody. I think I should bite the bullet and make it a hard mod. So no springing it on unsuspecting players, but that does mean I can do neat stuff like this:

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Looks like it's following your mouse...

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi Mylon! This looks very awesome. Might solve another guy's request for a tanker truck too... This looks like those Australian road trains...

Anyhow, will you one day update dirt path mod to work for alien biomes mod please? Or maybe it does but the sand parts (and some others too it seems) doesn't make paths. I figure if you walk a stretch through the desert everyday your feet becomes used to the road and you walk it a bit faster plus forming a faint footprint track...?

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Two things with Dirt Path: First, it's intended to be a non-game changing mod. I may add a startup setting to make dirt faster than normal (110%?), but it won't be a default option. Second, Alien Biomes has a LOT of tiles. I haven't looked into it in a while but I need to figure out a table matching each tile with a 'following' tile so there's a progression. I have in place a default if no match is found, though this can look ugly and jarring. I did this by hand in Vanilla as the number doesn't always match how trodden a tile appears, but I've been dreading this step in Alien Biomes. If someone else were to do this table (a simple {["tile1"]= "tile2", ["tile2"]= "tile3" style table....) I would happily include it in my mod, with credit.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Since alien biomes have movement penalties to different types of terrain it won't really be needed to do a 110% change setting, just nothing g should transform into the sand and volcanic areas which slows down the player. Also I really don't mind if some terrain/paths are going to look bad. It already looks kinda bad when a walkway just suddenly stops and continue onwards after a patch of sand or whatever.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I guess that makes going straight from an unknown tile to sand does make it very punishing. Simply having tiles wear down to another within the biome should resolve that.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Yeah... I've been trying to make that list table thing for you but I am struggling to find the alien biome LUA that contains all the different tile's name... I guess it's all the ones listed in mod/prototypes/tile/tile-colors.lua, and then to cross reference the names with the sprites to see that it will make sense when changing... Eish. I get why you haven't done it yet...

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Uh okay...check is this correct and what you needed?
alien biomes
Now, besides the first two or three types I just went from 1 to 2 etc because the images didn't follow the same chronological order in order to reference quickly with windows photo viewer. However, when getting to the last in the sequence I went from 9 to 1 or 3 to 1. Will this result in perpetual changing walkways? I liked how your's got to sand and just stuck there so this wouldn't be good. Maybe then just to delete the last item for each type? I doubt all the different types are in large portions on the map.

Also I don't know what the types are called that make you walk slow as fck so maybe if you could add that mod setting that give 110% walking speed on the second transitioned tile, maybe not the first transition right away... I think its called muscle memory? hehe

Then, probably the dirt textures needs to go to sand, that would look more realistic...but then what to do with sand so that its still a visible path? And the vegetation parts which just got 2 items for each type would probably also be better to go from blue to purple rather than 1 to 2 to 1 again...? I dunno. You're the pro here... let me know.

Oh and you really don't have to credit me at all. (I don't want angry pitchfork welding factorians pitching at my door/inbox or whatever. lol also I hope Alien Biomes guy don't have an issue with changes such as this...)

Return to “Mods”