[0.11.x] Factorio Maps

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] Factorio Maps

Post by jeroon »

I've uploaded v0.2.0
- Changed images from png to jpg, much smaller output files and faster to load, total filesize will now be around 5 GB on really big maps.
- Added "Set midday" button.
- Entered values now get saved when you hit "Hide Menu" and open it again.
cube wrote:takescreenshot only creates a request and requests are processed after everything in the current tick updates.
Right, figured as much. Will play with it a bit more, had some weird results with changing back the game.daytime
Devcod wrote:If statement, that I added, should change ext variable to png if zoom level is same as maxzoom level. If it is not, then it is set to jpg.
You are right, of course. I actually used this before to do some testing on the zoom level :)
Devcod wrote:Maybe instead use game.alwaysday ?
game.daytime = 0 works fine, the problem is changing back to the original game time. I think i need to wait 2 ticks before changing it back, but as I said, it behaved a little weird, so I need some more testing :)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Hello, Tested this on one of my stream saves.

You can view it here :: http://mclama.com/Factorio/GoogleMaps/ss1/
(as of this post, something wrong with my ftp and 200/5200 files failed due to some invalid password, will fix this in a few minutes i hope)

I noticed the edges of the world are a little blurry, don't know if that's because I'm missing 200 files at the moment or what.

But this is really nice, But another thing i noticed is, when i have the page opened up it seems to cause my computer to jitter, while typing this there was sometimes a small delay between my text appearing. It stopped when i closed the tab.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

The new version is so much faster and space saving. I can even share a map now.

I tried to map my first factory, but it still takes 750MB, even defining the smallest map border around it.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:You can view it here :: http://mclama.com/Factorio/GoogleMaps/ss1/
I noticed the edges of the world are a little blurry, don't know if that's because I'm missing 200 files at the moment or what.
I think the blurry edges are chuncks not yet created by the game. If you go exploring to the south-west, the south-east might not yet be discovered, and might become blurry.
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote: But this is really nice, But another thing i noticed is, when i have the page opened up it seems to cause my computer to jitter, while typing this there was sometimes a small delay between my text appearing. It stopped when i closed the tab.
With the Factorio Maps tab open you mean? Do you have the same with Google Maps?

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

With the Factorio Maps tab open you mean? Do you have the same with Google Maps?
Tab open? yea its open right now but not being rendered.

I can reproduce the problem with Factorio Maps. (Scroll through/zoom in/zoom out, scroll through a bit of the map)

I've just done it with "Google Maps" and i cannot reproduce the problem. I am typing this clearly without jitter.

(i'd like a really far out zoom level like in-game XD )

Beichtvater
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beichtvater »

How much has changed since then as I glued my maps in Photoshop...
And yep: 5 GB - childish pranks.
My maps weighed 15 Gb+.
—>>Great Old World<<—

DaCyclops
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaCyclops »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:
Tab open? yea its open right now but not being rendered.

I can reproduce the problem with Factorio Maps. (Scroll through/zoom in/zoom out, scroll through a bit of the map)

I've just done it with "Google Maps" and i cannot reproduce the problem. I am typing this clearly without jitter.

(i'd like a really far out zoom level like in-game XD )
Small question, did you do that with the newer JPG version, or the older PNG version? It could be the larger size of PNG's was the issue and your browser was just absorbing resources to keep it displayed....

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

I have the same problem. It slow down my other internet-things I do if the map is open.

It is with the new (jpeg) version. But I can not say if it was with the old (png) version. There I have only done a testrun and very short view of the generated map.

btw. Old version -> 2.1 GB (7z-ultra-packed -> 2.1 GB). New version (with 15% more map explored) -> 411 MB (7z-ultra-packed -> 190 MB) :)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Small question, did you do that with the newer JPG version, or the older PNG version? It could be the larger size of PNG's was the issue and your browser was just absorbing resources to keep it displayed....
The new version using jpg.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

I am generating my huge map now, but probably can't upload it anywhere. Btw. would it be possible to modify this to generate stuff with ALT info, so one can understand the factory?

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

I don't really know if there is anything I can do to prevent tab-stuttering, will see if I come across something. Don't browsers nowadays try to buffer urls/links not yet clicked, in this case.. the rest of the map? :D
zlosynus wrote:would it be possible to modify this to generate stuff with ALT info, so one can understand the factory?
I think the devs would need to change the screenshot function, I have put in a request. For now, the showGUI option does not work at all though.

I hope to have v0.3 finished later today, which will have one less zoom level, so it will be much smaller.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

20 sept 2014: v0.3.0
- Added options for levels of zooming (leave out last level of zoom-in, use png/jpg), plus one experimental zoom-out level for huge maps (game.takescreenshot{zoom = 0.015})
- Smaller maps will not get the full 6 levels of zooming
- Google api is now called via https instead of http, to allow sharing maps on Dropbox

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

- 0.3.5: Added Base Circumference Button, to map only to the outlines of the base
- 0.3.5: Screenshot size is now 256x256 pixels (was 1024x1024)

Using this new button, in combination with the "small" zoom option, even the biggest bases will have a reasonable total filesize now.
(Note that it only 'crops' to the top of the base, because at the bottom it completes the 256x256 screenshot. When you zoom in at the bottom of the base, you see max zoom in level is just outside the outer line of your base)

Does this new screenshot size do anything to help the stuttering on a new tab, that some had?

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Base Circum. went crazy for me.

Max Size give TL of -672 / -992 and BR 579 / 608
Base Circum give TL 9985 / 9985 and BR -10000 / -10000 and results in an Error that TR has to be smaller than BL

But stuttering seems to be gone :)

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

Oh, yeah, something I forgot to mention.. Base Circum only looks for walls, so if there's no walls, there's no limit :oops:
Could you share your map please, so I can have a look?

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

There are no Walls :). So all is OK.

But here you go : My Factory

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

For all you non-wall-building-Biter-huggers out there:
- (0.3.6: Small fix: Base Circ. now looks for anything player-made, not just walls.)

Hope this fixes it :)

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Awsome. Nearly perfekt ;)

Maybe omit the player itself (maybe per toggle) so that base Circ. really only shows the factory and not all landmasses between the factory and the player.

I know, I know, I am lazy :)

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

I've will change it for the next update. Until then, it's best to stay inside your base. Why you ever want to leave your base is beyond me anyway, but hey, peacefull mode and living on the edge! :mrgreen:

DaCyclops
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaCyclops »

Oh Wow. This is getting so much better. I'm going to have to run it on my home world tonight. If they would put in the request for toggling ALT info on screenshots, this would be near perfect.

Return to “Mods”