game speeeed..?

Bugs that are actually features.
Beichtvater
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

game speeeed..?

Post by Beichtvater »

I just wanted to say that the game goes too fast, like the old DOS/win95-98 games that you want to run on the new powerful computers.
About two or three times faster than it should be.
No means did possible to slow down game.
Only after 40 hours of play, having created huge (for a week of days of traveling) a railway system, being in the middle of the huge city, speed is normalized. But once you depart a little, and everything is again accelerated.

This is a great game, and I suddenly stuck in it for a long time, but now have to endure a lot of bad.
Please, do something that stabilizes the game speed.
Even better, if you can adjust the speed, but now it would be good to make it just normal.
Unfortunately, I do not have a slow computer or old laptop, just one big shitbox.
W7x64 Ult., if that.

I am sorry for my English, I tried that everything was clear.
B.
—>>Great Old World<<—

Poiasdope
Inserter
Inserter

Re: game speeeed..?

Post by Poiasdope »

Press F5 and look if the FPS (top right corner) is alright. The game should normally run at 60 fps.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Beichtvater wrote:I just wanted to say that the game goes too fast, like the old DOS/win95-98 games that you want to run on the new powerful computers.
About two or three times faster than it should be.
How fast exactly? What fps do you have? (When you hit F5, it should be in the top right corner)

I will be honest, the game speed is determined by the refresh rate of display (yes lame, but this is temporary solution), until we do multithreading.
Multithreading will not only let us set the game speed more properly, it will also allow having MUCH larger factories without lag.
Beichtvater wrote: Only after 40 hours of play, having created huge (for a week of days of traveling) a railway system, being in the middle of the huge city, speed is normalized. But once you depart a little, and everything is again accelerated.
Wow, this seems huge, I would love to take a look on the map :)

Maxion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maxion »

I have this problem too.
The first time I ran the game it worked fine until closed.
Every time after that, it runs at my monitor refresh rate at 120 fps, which I guess makes the game run at double speed.
This makes it harder to do everything, though still possible.
I'm going to live forever, or die trying.
And failure is not an option!

Beichtvater
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beichtvater »

Oh, you made all clear... I stupid, could guess itself also.
yep, stable 120 fps, just short of the city. I assembled my shitbox for stereoscopic mode, besides LCD monitor gives a better picture in motion at high FPS (slightly less artifacts), so everything is forced to the 120. Monitor course support this numbers.
Thank you very much, I think I can limit the FPS, or set up the system, or something stupid like FPS-limit tool.

UPD. Sooo... I didn't want to change my hardware settings (because I'm pleased with them), but I found this program.
here description, 3 post
i set 45 fps, its my favorite speed in this game. if someone does need to be - it's easy and it works.
please, when you do multithreading, making it possible to slow down the game and pause free with all actions. It is very necessary.

now I can use the car! (previously this was not possible due to too rapid control), and I feel that the train is really something weighs.
Now I love this game even more, it just tore my head off.
I stupid twice, it was necessary to write here at once.
kovarex wrote:Wow, this seems huge, I would love to take a look on the map
let's a bit offtop! Well, you asked, right?
About map... yes, I'm working on it. Now it is something like 2Gb photoshop raw-PSB file with several hundred screenshots at max out-zoom, and it looks very cool. soon I reach the regions filled with creepers completely, as if you create an infinite map in the editor and fall asleep on the keyboard, holding anything from AWSD.
Unfortunately, my photoshop will not let me save the file, however any acceptable form, so I'm just done patchy screenshots (and some screenshots just). They are not too much to see, but if someone knows how to get from a photoshop one image the size in 50кx20k points - tell me, I'll do it.
BUT! Through some time I will do a big overview video, because the railroad in this game - it is something quite amazing. I just sit on the train and I drive back and forth like a madman, lay new ways and forget about my cities. I didn't receive long ago so much pleasure from game, haha.
Something about 100 hours ingame, wow! (60 real hours on 120 fps = 25 combined + 40 real hours on ~45 fps = 53, in sum ~84 counted by game)

F5.... it's a BIG spoiler! I usually use FRAPS and I know my fps.
but this option displays coordinates, and this is very bad. I did the map including because I couldn't get to the city when I left from it too far. Now there is no need, you just have to remember the coordinates. it's softly.

PS. I want automatic freight trains! Something like logistic robots, but rail. Just imagine it! Huge classification yards, scurrying hither and thither trains, systems like OpenTTD - is where to disperse!
So, my cities is not as large as that shown in "your Creations" forum, but they are scattered over a LARGE area, and rail service - that's what would be great help to me.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Once again I apologize for my English.
B.
—>>Great Old World<<—

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I love you!
This is really something!
I assure you, that there will be railway transportation, now I know there really needs to be automated system to create your pictures in-game, and big-scale ingame map.

PS. Do you have savegame?

Beichtvater
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beichtvater »

of course!
you want it? just tell me and I'll send it. 70mb, it's all.
but remember, when I complained about the high FPS, it was very stupid :lol:
my photoshop hates this game, ha-ha.

additionally, the entire railway was built by one rule - no matter where you are, if you just press the "W", you come back home (to the capital).
If you depart from home and just press "W", you go to the West Point and the battlefields.

I will prepare a more or less normal map, not to die there for ever.

and I do not think that detailed mapping is necessary in game. I want to say that this situation reminded me of a very old, old games, when we sat down and drew a map of the dungeons in the copybooks or something similar. it was a very cool time when games were in the cartridges and no question of any internet, community, patches, like whining never was. No worries about the players, cool as you like. Only your neighbors and classmates. It was an oldschool, ha. In short, I have a nostalgia. and it's great! hardcore. so I'm doing my map and did not regret the fact that I, you know, should do it.
I worry about other pieces which I feel, are necessary to game. and maps ... and the hell with them. Trains, good enemies, new shit and other optimization are more important.
—>>Great Old World<<—

Maxion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maxion »

Nice pictures!

My savegame is probably less impressive at only 33.8 MB after about 28 hours playing in game time, so about half that in real time.
But since I have spent most of the time building rather than exploring, I suppose there could be something impressive there too.
Especially proud of my massive power plant.

I got some pictures, nowhere near as impressive as the folks in the showoff forum, but I play with default resource settings and started in a version where attacks happen quite often.
Actually had to run for quite a while at the start to even find a place with coal and iron near each other, and stone was nowhere near that, so attacks started happening long before i was ready, but I pulled through, much thanks to the frequent autosaves...

My power plant: Found a place with a big coal patch and kind of secluded that I secured and set up in. Keeps everything powered even when as many laser turrets as I want are firing.
The coal patch is now almost gone, so I keep it supplied with logistics robots.

My current main production area, prepared some space to the left of it to expand soon.
I'm going to live forever, or die trying.
And failure is not an option!

Milaha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Milaha »

This makes me feel so much better. I was having the hardest time assaulting the creeper base in Campaign 2 mission 1, but now that I know that everything was going at double time I do not feel nearly as bad. Easy fix though, just gotta turn down my refresh rate.

EDIT: Oh my gosh, the game feels so slow and easy now... it entirely changed the feel of the game. Before I stood only a slim chance of defending my lab from a creeper wave manually even if I was right there ready to do it... now I just have to be nearby. I get so much more done in a day too, so I am far more prepared for the waves as they ramp up. Combat is a cake walk compared to before where it seemed like I needed lightning reflexes.

Return to “Not a bug”