[0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

RocketManChronicles wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 pm
@obingabout:

With the release of 0.17.60, do your mods maintain the Basic Oil Processing of old, or should we wait for a future release countering it? Or are you tailoring to it, and it will take time to update all mods?
You spelled my name wrong! :0

Anyway... I'm still considering exactly what the changes should be. my current thoughts is a bit of both. Revert some things (actually not much) and work around it in others.
For example... I add "Crude oil processing" to advanced oil processing research, just drop that down to basic oil processing technology, and account for the moved fuel block recipes, and now everything is already "Fixed". it's just working out the balance.

but that's just one possible approach, I'm looking at the big picture before I change anything.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

Any plans to readding use for fuelblocks/light oil like the old science pack before the latest changes? Currently light oil is barely used for anything besides ammo and fuel, when player transitions to using nonfossilized fuelsources like solar/nuclear you end up basically turning all the light to just PGas. I really liked the previous chem science needing fuel blocks instead just sulfur.
Its not even used for rocket fuel since the hydrazine recipe.

theekazzabreek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by theekazzabreek »

bobingabout wrote: ↑
Fri May 17, 2019 5:54 pm
I'm currently browsing through the source code, see if I can make an edit to make light sources read apply_recipe_tint, so that the glow on the centrifuge functions as intended again, and be green for uranium, but yellow for Thorium.
Sorry to bump an old discussion, but I recently had the chance to look into the live core of a reactor, and the glow was very much blue. I'm not against artistic freedom, mind you, but thought it might interest you.

It was this one: https://www.tudelft.nl/en/faculty-of-ap ... echnology/

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

AmatorPhasma wrote: ↑
Fri May 17, 2019 6:21 pm
I'm currently browsing through the source code, see if I can make an edit to make light sources read apply_recipe_tint, so that the glow on the centrifuge functions as intended again, and be green for uranium, but yellow for Thorium.
Sorry to bump an old discussion, but I recently had the chance to look into the live core of a reactor, and the glow was very much blue. I'm not against artistic freedom, mind you, but thought it might interest you.

check the options, Deuterium defaults to pink, but you have the option to change it to blue.
this is apparently a photo of a Deuterium fusion reactor. which is why I used this colour as default. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium ... onized.JPG
I also have a Patreon.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:45 pm
AmatorPhasma wrote: ↑
Fri May 17, 2019 6:21 pm

check the options, Deuterium defaults to pink, but you have the option to change it to blue.
this is apparently a photo of a Deuterium fusion reactor. which is why I used this colour as default. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium ... onized.JPG
Kind of off topic, but I'm entertained the amount of obscure trivia about power generation I learn via the game. Also, thank you for your work, bob.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I did some updates... some of these have been sitting in my mods folder for a while, so, here's a mass release.

Clock 0.17.7:
Fixed crash when setting changed by script.

Electronics 0.17.6:
Change all recipe enabled = "false" lines to enabled = false
Moved "Crude oil processing" from advanced-oil-processing to oil-processing to help with the oil changes.

Inserter 0.17.10:
The Center screen GUI is now movable. Requires 0.17.59.

Logistics 0.17.15:
changed inserter graphic definitions to be friendlier to other mods.
Fixed possible inserter locale name overrides where there shouldn't have been.
updated all inserter stats.
Reverse some 0.17.60 changes
Fixed science packs for modular roboport technology.

MCI 0.17.11:
Added sulfuric acid from Hydrogen Sulfide recipe
Moved "Crude oil processing" from advanced-oil-processing to oil-processing to help with the oil changes.

revamp 0.17.7:
Adapted to Factorio 0.17.60.
reduced heavy oil input from coal liquifaction to help with balance.
Added chemical-science-pack to rocket fuel research.

Warfare 0.17.11:
Added immune_to_rock_impacts = true to tanks.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:20 pm
This most certainly is welcome as an initial setup for oil processing. One thing I like about your mods (with certain settings in place) is that there are gates where you have to do something very inefficiently, sometimes semi-automatically (partially hand crafting), to be able to unlock science that makes it efficient. A good example is the first electronics with resistors and solder: where you make these with machines and furnaces, then by hand craft the first several electronics boards to make the machines that can make these automatically. It is a feeling of moving past the roadblocks such as this that gives you a sense of certain progress. The Crude Oil Processing you have here allows us to deal with by-products before they really become useful. However, your mods use a lot of Heavy and Light Oil for various recipes, and so we have to work to balance the three fluids (technically four with sulfur dioxide) to make the factory work. I like that you have to deal with by-products until later technologies allow use of them, so you have goals to reach to use those by-products and not let them pile up.

Oh, and one question: didn't you say at one point you were considering changing the Plasma Turrets to require Plasma ammunition? I think you were considering Plutonium or Deuterium for the recipe. How far along are you on this? Would this apply to the first Plasma Turret (mk1)? I have a few of them set up already along my wall in a game in which I have just automated The Chemical Science Pack. At this point, I do not have Uranium even being mined, so how far out would this ammunition be if I had to make it now with the Turret? I'm just thinking of balance versus the Science Technologies that unlock the ability to use them with ammunition.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:00 pm
so we have to work to balance the three fluids (technically four with sulfur dioxide) to make the factory work.
Actually with the latest version of revamp, you have the option of a new overhaul mode. I think it's on by default.
instead of having sulfur dioxode, PG has been replaced with sour gas, and you split that into PG and Hydrogen sulfide.
Oh, and one question: didn't you say at one point you were considering changing the Plasma Turrets to require Plasma ammunition? I think you were considering Plutonium or Deuterium for the recipe. How far along are you on this? Would this apply to the first Plasma Turret (mk1)? I have a few of them set up already along my wall in a game in which I have just automated The Chemical Science Pack. At this point, I do not have Uranium even being mined, so how far out would this ammunition be if I had to make it now with the Turret? I'm just thinking of balance versus the Science Technologies that unlock the ability to use them with ammunition.
There were no plans to change plasma turrets to use ammo. I did however change plasma turrets to be directional, so that they don't blow up your walls, let biters in, and blow up the rest of your base behind them.
I also added plasma ammos for other ammo based weapons, like guns, shotguns and rockets. This is basically just an ammo that deals plasma type damage, and is made from Deuterium and alien artifacts.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:37 pm
so we have to work to balance the three fluids (technically four with sulfur dioxide) to make the factory work.
Actually with the latest version of revamp, you have the option of a new overhaul mode. I think it's on by default.
instead of having sulfur dioxode, PG has been replaced with sour gas, and you split that into PG and Hydrogen sulfide.
I saw that in the changelogs, I am curious.... I will have to spend time redesigning my current refinery for this though. Oh well...
There were no plans to change plasma turrets to use ammo. I did however change plasma turrets to be directional, so that they don't blow up your walls, let biters in, and blow up the rest of your base behind them.
I also added plasma ammos for other ammo based weapons, like guns, shotguns and rockets. This is basically just an ammo that deals plasma type damage, and is made from Deuterium and alien artifacts.
Oh ok. Yes, I do like the directional fire arc of the Plasma Turrets, for the exact same reasons you stated. LOL And with what you said here, I am assuming that the Vehicle based Plasma Turrets are similar, no ammo, but have a minimum range?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:52 am
I saw that in the changelogs, I am curious.... I will have to spend time redesigning my current refinery for this though. Oh well...
it is optional, you can turn it off, or not turn it on, whichever.
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:52 am
Oh ok. Yes, I do like the directional fire arc of the Plasma Turrets, for the exact same reasons you stated. LOL And with what you said here, I am assuming that the Vehicle based Plasma Turrets are similar, no ammo, but have a minimum range?
There are no "Vehicle based plasma weapons", if there were, they would require ammo because all vehicle weapons require ammo (like personal weapons require ammo)
Though if you're talking about the Plasma attack robots... due to the entity type, none of them require ammo.
I also have a Patreon.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

I have a question regarding the Poison Worm. Is it normal, that a regular tank goes down in like 5-10 sec. when it was hit once without a way to escape it?
For me, it is the most dangerous enemy atm, while a behemoth worm is not a big deal. (Seablock)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

jodokus31 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:32 pm
I have a question regarding the Poison Worm. Is it normal, that a regular tank goes down in like 5-10 sec. when it was hit once without a way to escape it?
For me, it is the most dangerous enemy atm, while a behemoth worm is not a big deal. (Seablock)
there may need to be more balancing for these things to be honest.
I also have a Patreon.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 pm
I see, thanks. Maybe I should check vehicle shield in the meantime. And I also have a good a chance with the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher to get rid of them.

EDIT: Ok, 2 Mk1 Vehicle Shields add like 1 sec. more lifetime :D

marzolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by marzolan »

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:10 pm
I see, thanks. Maybe I should check vehicle shield in the meantime. And I also have a good a chance with the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher to get rid of them.

The mk1 shields don't have anything in terms of poison resistance if I recall correctly. I don't use tanks much, but I know the mk2 shields for power armor have no poison resistance. Even with 6 of them, those poison worms will drop you with one hit in about 5 seconds.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

marzolan wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:10 pm

The mk1 shields don't have anything in terms of poison resistance if I recall correctly. I don't use tanks much, but I know the mk2 shields for power armor have no poison resistance. Even with 6 of them, those poison worms will drop you with one hit in about 5 seconds.
Avoid the poison at all costs! You will have better luck with higher tier shields, but even more if you keep moving. A good strategy is to circle the nest of spawners and worms, weaving side-to-side. The idea is to throw off the predicted shot from the worms to land on the ground where you will not be. Just keep pegging the outer ring of spawners and worms and work your way in. And avoid the spots on the ground where the worms landed spit! :)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Avoid the poison at all costs! You will have better luck with higher tier shields, but even more if you keep moving. A good strategy is to circle the nest of spawners and worms, weaving side-to-side. The idea is to throw off the predicted shot from the worms to land on the ground where you will not be. Just keep pegging the outer ring of spawners and worms and work your way in. And avoid the spots on the ground where the worms landed spit! :)
Thanks for the tips. The problem with seablock is, that I have to lay down landfill while driving, so I cannot aim. I have a lot of success by simply drive over 1 or 2 worms and escape. But that means, they hit me sooner or later. But maybe I can lay down a ground first, and then drive by. Need to practice :D

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for the tips. The problem with seablock is, that I have to lay down landfill while driving, so I cannot aim. I have a lot of success by simply drive over 1 or 2 worms and escape. But that means, they hit me sooner or later. But maybe I can lay down a ground first, and then drive by. Need to practice :D
Yeas. Hold down the mouse button to lay down landfill around the tank and drive around the worms a few time to get a good track. Then wait a bit for the poison splashes to evaporate and do a drive-by to kill the worms. Might need more than one tripe but with some practice you can do it without getting hit (much).

Pinoccio64
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Bug: No possibility of manufacturing the basic electric yellow inserts and basic electric drills

Post by Pinoccio64 »

[0.17.60] No possibility of manufacturing the basic electric yellow inserts and basic electric drills, neither manually nor machine
Since one of the MOD Bobs updates recently, I cannot build the basic yellow inserts as well as the basic electric drill manually or with the machine (see the list of MODS used in the appendix). This poses me a big problem to continue my research, especially for making the transport science pack (green packs), basis for the rest of my research, research with the red science pack being all done!
At this stage of the game, I am completely stuck :(
Thank you in advance for helping me solve these problems.
Best regards.

Thank you for your support, I was able to solve this problem! actually I had to undertake research for electricity, and then the 2 missing elements have been activated again. Thank you so much. ;) ;)
Capture yellow inserts.png
Capture yellow inserts.png (644.98 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Capture Electric Drill Mk2.png
Capture Electric Drill Mk2.png (906.04 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Mod list 3
Mod list 3
Liste des mods page capture 1_3.png (99.67 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Mod list 2
Mod list 2
Liste des mods page capture 1_2.png (99.3 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Mod list 1
Mod list 1
Liste des mods page capture 1_1.png (102.28 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Last edited by Pinoccio64 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bug: No possibility of manufacturing the basic electric yellow inserts and basic electric drills

Post by bobingabout »

Pinoccio64 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 pm
[0.17.60] No possibility of manufacturing the basic electric yellow inserts and basic electric drills, neither manually nor machine
Since one of the MOD Bobs updates recently, I cannot build the basic yellow inserts as well as the basic electric drill manually or with the machine (see the list of MODS used in the appendix). This poses me a big problem to continue my research, especially for making the transport science pack (green packs), basis for the rest of my research, research with the red science pack being all done!
Best regards.

Capture yellow inserts.pngCapture Electric Drill Mk2.pngListe des mods page capture 1_3.pngListe des mods page capture 1_2.pngListe des mods page capture 1_1.png
do you have "Burner stage" option in Bob's Technology mod turned on? you may have to research "Electricity" to unlock your missing items. or turn that option off.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bug: No possibility of manufacturing the basic electric yellow inserts and basic electric drills

Pinoccio64 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 pm
Best regards.
This is not a Bob's mods issue. It has to do with a vanilla update that was made before a Bob's update in which your initial research options were reset to Bob's burner overhaul. This means you need to re-research the initial set of science techs to re-unlock those items.

Return to β€œBob's mods”