[0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

evandy wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:07 pm
Is there a description somewhere for how the types of neuclear reactor perform? Does thorium and mk2 just give more power per area, and deuterium/mk3 even better? Trying to understand whether and how to upgrade my mk1 uranium setup.

I don't see anything in the tool tips with power output, time, & etc.

Thanks.
if you point to them, it tells you their output, that's all you really need.
Uranium/MK1 is 40MW, Thorium/MK2 is 72MW and Deuterium/MK3 is 90MW
then you just need to consider that HE1 is 10.8MW, HE2 is 14.4MW and HE3 is 18MW (though the game rounds those down)

so an example, a thorium reactor can power 5 HE2s but 4 HE3s, where the Deuterium reactor can power 5 MK3s.

Always keep your turbines/steam engines to the same tier as your heat exchangers. Turbine 1 is Tier 3, like steam engines 3, and HE1 is tier 3 like boiler 3. 1 HE powers 2 turbines of it's tier, or 4 steam engines.

So, assuming you keep the turbines to HEs of the same tier, the ratios there never change. The ratios for all MK2 is the same as ratios for all MK3, but where a MK2 reactor can power 5 MK2 HEs, the MK1 reactor can only power 3.7 MK1 HEs.

Also, lots of updates!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

bobingabout wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:07 pm
Is there a description somewhere for how the types of neuclear reactor perform? Does thorium and mk2 just give more power per area, and deuterium/mk3 even better? Trying to understand whether and how to upgrade my mk1 uranium setup.

I don't see anything in the tool tips with power output, time, & etc.

Thanks.
if you point to them, it tells you their output, that's all you really need.
Uranium/MK1 is 40MW, Thorium/MK2 is 72MW and Deuterium/MK3 is 90MW
then you just need to consider that HE1 is 10.8MW, HE2 is 14.4MW and HE3 is 18MW (though the game rounds those down)

so an example, a thorium reactor can power 5 HE2s but 4 HE3s, where the Deuterium reactor can power 5 MK3s.

Always keep your turbines/steam engines to the same tier as your heat exchangers. Turbine 1 is Tier 3, like steam engines 3, and HE1 is tier 3 like boiler 3. 1 HE powers 2 turbines of it's tier, or 4 steam engines.

So, assuming you keep the turbines to HEs of the same tier, the ratios there never change. The ratios for all MK2 is the same as ratios for all MK3, but where a MK2 reactor can power 5 MK2 HEs, the MK1 reactor can only power 3.7 MK1 HEs.

Also, lots of updates!
The tool tip says "Energy Consumption" but has those numbers... so I take it that it is really "Energy Generated?" Thanks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 am
The tool tip says "Energy Consumption" but has those numbers... so I take it that it is really "Energy Generated?" Thanks.
well, it's consumption of it's fuel, in this case the fuel source is heat energy from the reactor. it's more of an energy transferer, converting it from heat in a heat pipe, to steam (a fluid containing heat) in the case of most things in factorio, with a 100% efficiency.
I also have a Patreon.

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

You're at the limits of what the devs provide. Thanks for the information. I will be setting up a heavy water center soon.

No thorium right now as I am playing angels and he doesn't have a recipe for it yet.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I finally updated the Greenhouse mod. it now has icon, changelog and description like everything else.

greenhouse 0.17.1:
Added allow_decomposition = false to greenhouse cycle recipes to get rid of strange added ingredients to total raw.
updated greenhouse technology icon
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Power 0.17.8:
Adjusted smoke quantities of the fluid generator.
Adjusted min_working_temperature on heat exchangers so they should require a minimum of the temperature to match the steam they produce.
Higher tier reactors and heat pipes get hotter to allow the higher tier heat exchangers to more easilly reach their new required temperature. (Heat Exchanger 3 will still work with Nuclear reactor 1, but not as well with longer heat pipes.)
Added burner generator entity. (Low tier machine. Put in coal, get Electricity)

Tech 0.17.4:
made adding the Logistic science pack "safe" (won't add it if it is already on the lab)
Updated lab graphics and include HR version.
Added "Burner stage" option.
Burner stage adds steam science pack and burner lab.
Burner stage locks boiler behind new Steam power technology
Burner stage locks Steam engine and all entities that require Electricity behind new Electricity technology.
Burner stage also adds new technology to unlock the Automation science pack and electric powered lab.
Burner stage also adds all appropriate prerequisites to base game and bob's mods technologies.

Mining 0.17.4:
Added steam powered mining drill 2x2 (burner clone) with 4x4 area and sideways passthrough steam pipe. The entity is tuned to work best with top tier steam, this means it will scale in power based on steam tier. speed 0.4 and 120kW per tier (2 at max speed and 600kW)

Assembling machines 0.17.5:
Added an set of oil powered steel furnaces (normal, metal mixing and chemical)
Added a burner assembling machine with speed 0.25, 60kW and size 2x2
Added a steam powered assembing machine with pass through steam pipe. The entity is tuned to work best with top tier steam, this means it will scale in power based on steam tier. speed 0.4 and 80kW per tier (2 at max speed and 400kW)
Updated graphics of Assembling machines to include HR versions (Except assembling machine 4 with updated colours turned off)
I also have a Patreon.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 am
greenhouse 0.17.1:
Added allow_decomposition = false to greenhouse cycle recipes to get rid of strange added ingredients to total raw.
What does that mean? :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Zyrconia wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:42 am
greenhouse 0.17.1:
When you hover over an recipe in the crafting menu the game will show you the amount of raw materials required to produce this recipe. So for example circuit boards show the number of copper plates and iron plates. Now look at some recipe that requires wood (I'm assuming that was what got decomposed). The game will show that the recipe needs seeds instead of wood and maybe fertilizer (which probably decomposes into nitrogen and a bunch of other strange stuff). By disabling decomposition the game stops when it hits wood and considers that a raw material.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 am
greenhouse 0.17.1:
When you hover over an recipe in the crafting menu the game will show you the amount of raw materials required to produce this recipe. So for example circuit boards show the number of copper plates and iron plates. Now look at some recipe that requires wood (I'm assuming that was what got decomposed). The game will show that the recipe needs seeds instead of wood and maybe fertilizer (which probably decomposes into nitrogen and a bunch of other strange stuff). By disabling decomposition the game stops when it hits wood and considers that a raw material.
it was breaking it down all the way to the point where I had already added allow_decomposition = false, which was Water, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen.
I didn't actually add allow_decomposition = false to seedlings, I probably should have, but simply putting it on the greenhouse grow cycle recipes fixed the issue.

keep in mind the issue didn't really exist with hand crafting and the main crafting menu there, because you can't hold fluids. The main place where I noticed it was on the technology screen, where it doesn't care if you can hold it or not, it fully decomposes the recipe.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Library 0.17.5:
Added bobmods.lib.safe_insert function. Adds a string to the specified table only if it doesn't already exist.
Added bobmods.lib.recipe.enabled(recipe, bool) and bobmods.lib.recipe.difficulty_enabled(recipe, difficulty, bool) (Bool is actually a string of "true" or "false") to make adding enabled = "false" to recipes easier. (enabled needs to be on the difficulty)

Tech 0.17.5:
Fixed that a few recipes were still enabled when they shouldn't have been in burner stage (needs library update)

ores 0.17.5:
makes use of the new 0.17 ore generator if the 0.17 library version is unavailable
I also have a Patreon.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 am
greenhouse 0.17.1:
Thanks! I get it.

I'm lurking around here to find the perfect moment to start a new 0.17 map.

But Bob is on fire with the updates right now so I'll wait a couple of weeks :).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:10 am

But Bob is on fire with the updates right now so I'll wait a couple of weeks :).
actually, now is probably a good time to start a new map. I've just finished messing with the early game stuff, don't forget to turn on the new burner stage option under bobtech. It's off by default as not to mess with existing games.
I also have a Patreon.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 am

actually, now is probably a good time to start a new map. I've just finished messing with the early game stuff, don't forget to turn on the new burner stage option under bobtech. It's off by default as not to mess with existing games.
Thanks! I admire your commitment towards your mods!

On the other hand: ewwwww, burner stuff. I hate the burner stage! For me a Bob's game begins when you have automated BEBs and can use exclusively fast inserters and classic red belts. And now things are moved even further back with gray belts. So I'll be skipping additional burner stuff, unless its Space Ex.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:02 pm
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks! I admire your commitment towards your mods!

On the other hand: ewwwww, burner stuff. I hate the burner stage! For me a Bob's game begins when you have automated BEBs and can use exclusively fast inserters and classic red belts. And now things are moved even further back with gray belts. So I'll be skipping additional burner stuff, unless its Space Ex.
you can have the additional burner stuff without burner stage being turned on. Burner stage basically locks the non-burner stuff behind a research wall.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Power 0.17.9:
Added heat exchanger 1 tech to unlock the heat exchanger, and made it a prerequisite of nuclear power.
Added burner heat sources
Added oil burning heat sources

Revamp 0.17.5:
Nuclear update moves nuclear fuel reprocessing from a prerequisite of nuclear power to uranium processing.
Added default_fuel_glow_color to reactors.

Tech 0.17.6:
Changed internal name of burner lab from bob-burner-lab to burner-lab
Lab now costs a burner lab to build.

Assembly 0.17.6:
no longer uses the icon from bobplates, but it's own copy of it.
Steam assembling machine causes pollution. (the electric does, so I can't use "the pollution is generated by the boilers" as an excuse, as that effects electric too)
Slight balance to steam assembling machine. (uses a little less power, 300kW instead of 400kW, or 60kW per tier instead of 80kW)

MCI 0.17.10:
Renamed heavy water recipe only to bob-heavy-water internally, to fix a Py mods conflict.
Swapped the output of water and heavy water on the heavy water recipe so that it's consistant between using pure water or not.

Mining 0.17.5:
Steam mining drill now causes a small amount of pollution. (the electric does, so I can't use "the pollution is generated by the boilers" as an excuse, as that effects electric too)

Logistics 0.17.12:
Added Top up valve, lets fluid flow if the output pipe is less than 20% full.
Added an option to disable new trains.
I also have a Patreon.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I have an error with Bob's Power. "Error in assign ID ... heat-pipe-2 does not exist. Source: burner-reactor-2 (recipe)"

Edit: It looks like when 'Burner and oil powered heat sources' is unchecked in the settings, the mod will not load the 'heat-pipe-2' items and recipes. I had to comment the 'if' statements in several files to force the 'heat-pipe-2' and 'heat-pipe-3' items to be created.

Edit: Thanks for fixing this.
Last edited by jamiechi1 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

jamiechi1 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:28 pm
I have an error with Bob's Power. "Error in assign ID ... heat-pipe-2 does not exist. Source: burner-reactor-2 (recipe)"

Edit: It looks like when 'Burner and oil powered heat sources' is unchecked in the settings, the mod will not load the 'heat-pipe-2' items and recipes. I had to comment the 'if' statements in several files to force the 'heat-pipe-2' and 'heat-pipe-3' items to be created.
thanks for the report.

looks like I added

Code: Select all

if settings.startup["bobmods-power-steam"].value == true or settings.startup["bobmods-power-nuclear"].value == true or settings.startup["bobmods-power-heatsources"].value == true then
to the top of the entity files, but not any of the others.

I'll work on something to fix this.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Power 0.17.10:
Removed production science pack from Oil burning heat source 2.
Burner electric generator. Reduced power output to 400kW, increased Pollution to 15/m and added stone furnace and iron gear wheels to recipe.
Added heat pipe technology as a gateway to all technologies that use heatpipes (and T2 and T3) if steam power, burner heat sources, or nuclear power are enabled.
I also have a Patreon.

GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GrimerX »

FYI some of your technologies conflict with AAI Industries

These are the main ones:
steam-power and electricity

I'm merging these with a modpack but with the name conflicts it's not something I can easily address.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

GrimerX wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 pm
FYI some of your technologies conflict with AAI Industries

These are the main ones:
steam-power and electricity

I'm merging these with a modpack but with the name conflicts it's not something I can easily address.
The problem is... do I do what I did with Bobplates metal technology, where it checks if the technology exists before creating it, then adds things to it...
or do I make it separate by adding a bob- prefix?

Edit: AAI Industry is annoying to work with. Part of it's "Add this recipe to this technology" function removes it from all other technologies.
the entire structure of the early game in that mod is in conflict with what my mod is trying to do. I am unsure if it is even possible to make the 2 work together.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to β€œBob's mods”