Compact 4.8 GW Nuclear Reactor

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Feltcherab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Compact 4.8 GW Nuclear Reactor

Post by Feltcherab »

Super! I'm deploying it immediately!

Although for my taste there is a lot of unnecessary items, like walls, concrete and lasers, so laying it down will take a while. But the design looks so nice, it's worth the wait!

Your efforts are very much appreciated!!

Feltcherab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Feltcherab »

Super! I've deployed it immediately yesterday evening!

For my taste, there is a lot of unnecessary items, like walls, concrete and lasers. Specifically the concrete is a huge load, like 6 cargowagons full of concrete :D It's almost worth while to setup it's own small concrete factory locally. So laying it down will take a while, but the design looks so nice, it's worth the wait!

An additional point I had to consider is the location, due to my personal map settings the lakes are rather small and plentiful. I placed the plant between two lakes, one above and one below to make sure enough water can be fed into this beast.

I really appreciate this design!!

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

if you open the blueprint and (right?) click on the walls, concrete etc in the top overview they are all removed from the print

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Lisp Wizard wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 pm
I finally found enough time to create a new version of the reactor. As usual, feedback is most welcome. Have fun!
A suggestion for the next print version: please include landfill tiles under so we can paste it as a new island exact size as intended with the dozens of pipes at the sides... (or over small water features in the center).

(I do know about waterfill mods so we can create water as needed, but the above is more compatible with vanilla)

Thanks!
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

There's a mod that adds landfill to all tiles under a blueprint, quite useful for situations like this!

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Thanks. This reactor has powered my base for more than 200 hours now ;)

However now that I'm running it at full capacity I noticed a glitch with the reactor feeding.
Once in a while a reactor misses it's fuel intake.

I monitored the combinator that calculates the numbers of reactors - it constantly outputs 32 so all should be running.
Eventually I noticed that the command for intake is only issued for one tick. I changed that to 5 ticks and it looks better now.
(Combinator is located on the right side next to the radar - the bottom one - changed from C=0 to C<5)

Will monitor the situation and also try to test it again when it is no longer running on fuel load ;)

SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SeigneurAo »

Nosferatu wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 pm
Thanks. This reactor has powered my base for more than 200 hours now ;)

However now that I'm running it at full capacity I noticed a glitch with the reactor feeding.
Once in a while a reactor misses it's fuel intake.

I monitored the combinator that calculates the numbers of reactors - it constantly outputs 32 so all should be running.
Eventually I noticed that the command for intake is only issued for one tick. I changed that to 5 ticks and it looks better now.
(Combinator is located on the right side next to the radar - the bottom one - changed from C=0 to C<5)

Will monitor the situation and also try to test it again when it is no longer running on fuel load ;)
Could you please elaborate regarding which combinator is to change ?
Thanks in advance !

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Clipboard04.png
Clipboard04.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 7294 times
The one in the yellow brackets. And as you can see on the screenshot I changed it to C < 20 now.

I think I will revisit this later.
First:
I will try to remove dependence on the logistic system working accurately.
Instead I will try to control the inserters that feed the reactors directly.
This should also eliminate the 32 decider combinators that control the requester chests.

Second:
I will try to power the rest of the combinators by an independent power supply.
This should guard the reactor against malfunction on an deep brownout or complete loss of power.

SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SeigneurAo »

Ok this explains why I was confused.
In your first post, you mentioned that the signal was only issued for 1 tick, and that you changed from C=0 to C<5.
But in my setup (fresh blueprint install), this combinator checks C<=32, so I'm unsure if I should set it to C<20 as per your screenshot...

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Oh! My reactors blueprint says V1.1 - the newest one is V1.4
I didn't update the control systems on my nuclear reactor :shock:

Nope. Don't change anything.

SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SeigneurAo »

Nosferatu wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am
Oh! My reactors blueprint says V1.1 - the newest one is V1.4
I didn't update the control systems on my nuclear reactor :shock:

Nope. Don't change anything.
This explains that ^^
Thanks for your input nonetheless, it made me have a closer look at the whole circuitry, so that's not lost at all !

trueosiris
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by trueosiris »

Could you possibly add a control switch to overrule the decider system and turn them all on permanently?
I'm using this reactor in Space Exploration and would like to turn everything on from time to time for the Coronal Mass attacks from the nearby star (countered with the umbrella).

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

@trueosiris:
There are a lot of green wires inside your reactor.
Build a constant combinator set it to Steam -900.000 and connect it to the green wire.

As long as the constant combinator is switched to "on" the reactor will run on full power. If you switch it "off" it will go back to normal.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

141a.png
141a.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 6741 times
I made a new variant of the core on this reactor which has an independent power supply.
Main reason: This reactor works by using a clock to time how long a fuel rod burns and than it inserts the next one.
Clocks slow down if you have a deep brown out - which means your reactor doesn't get enough fuel.
Which will make your brown out worse and could send you in an death spiral.

So i reworked the combinator core on this reactor and added a solar cell and a battery.
I also removed the 32 combinators that were controling the individual reactors. That logic is now handled directly by the inserters.

I have attached a blueprint book which contains the following blueprints:
- 1.4 Version of Lisp Wizard Reactor - because the Blueprint in the OP on this topic is gone :shock:
- Blueprint containing only Concrete and Defenses for the reactor (No changes made from 1.4 to 1.4a)
- 1.4a Version without Concrete and Defenses
- A Deconstruction planner that can be used for easy upgrade/downgrade between 1.4 and 1.4a

Update instructions:
If you care about not browning out during the upgrade wait for the feeding cycle to reach the right lower corner.
If you care about not browning out during the upgrade don't upgrade in the night. (Solar power....)
Use the Deconstruction Planner as seen in the picture at the top of the post.
Stamp over reactor blueprint
Put logistic bots into the roboport ASAP
Attachments
LispWizardReactor14a.txt
(432.85 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Nosferatu wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:44 am
141a.png
I made a new variant of the core on this reactor which has an independent power supply.
Main reason: This reactor works by using a clock to time how long a fuel rod burns and than it inserts the next one.
Clocks slow down if you have a deep brown out - which means your reactor doesn't get enough fuel.
Which will make your brown out worse and could send you in an death spiral.

So i reworked the combinator core on this reactor and added a solar cell and a battery.
I worked out a way to do that that doesn't require a clock, and so is more brownout tolerant. It's still a good idea to run the inserters on an independent grid, of course.

The reactor themselves can be used as the clock if you read the hands of the inserters. That's not a new idea; lots of people have built designs using that. But a lot of them have a really annoying flaw: their default state is to not load a fuel cell, and so you need to manually feed the first one in to kickstart it and/or reboot it after an outage.

So I designed one that works the other way around. It takes precisely one arithmetic combinator and some wire, and it's rock solid functional. Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=92673

Might be useful to you!

vangruver
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vangruver »

hello, i love you design, can u post the bp again?

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

@vangruver
Last post by Lisp wizard 2019 :shock:
I guess he doesn't look in here anymore

But look at my post two posts above yours.
The attachment has OPs Blueprint in it.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

New version 1.4b - I noticed today that my "brown out proof" reactor had a serious flaw.
The battery that was meant to protect the core combinators was in reach of substations belonging to the main grid.

Error corrected - new version attached.
Attachments
LispWizardReactor14b.txt
(451.08 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Return to “Energy Production”