Suggestion: Allow enabling/disabling artillery turrets with circuit network

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Suggestion: Allow enabling/disabling artillery turrets with circuit network

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

tl;dr - It'd be nice if I could turn the firing of artillery turrets on and off based on circuit conditions.

Right now I can control the inserter that adds shells to the turret, but that means the artillery can cache 4 shells (iirc it was 4, maybe 5?), which it may fire an arbitrary amount of time later. Just basic on/off controls would seem awesome.

Thanks for considering!

Elisse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Suggestion: Allow enabling/disabling artillery turrets with circuit network

Post by Elisse »

Yes please!! I would like to see somehow this option also for trains. Even manually checkbox fire or not fire would be good. I dont like auto firing at anything :(

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

gHoST INFERNO wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 am
Right now I can control the inserter that adds shells to the turret, but that means the artillery can cache 4 shells (iirc it was 4, maybe 5?), which it may fire an arbitrary amount of time later.
You can take them out again with an extractor. An extractor is an inserter that is pointing away from the thing you want to extract from ;)

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

gHoST INFERNO wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 am
tl;dr - It'd be nice if I could turn the firing of artillery turrets on and off based on circuit conditions.
Just basic on/off controls would seem awesome.
Can the circuit network count how many shells are in the artillery piece? if so you could set a condition to enable the loading inserter only if (there are no shells) and (gun should fire now).

(While pondering my draft others post)
Otherwise as suggested, have one inserter loading/enabled only when your circuit network says "fire" (my freudian slip was "fore"), and the recommended "extractor" inserter pulling from the gun only enabled when you want the gun "off".

That said, having that option for the other turrets would be handy as well. I'll have to look at how they did the laser turret switching here:
viewtopic.php?f=193&t=69537&p=427070&hi ... ff#p427070
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:46 pm
Can the circuit network count how many shells are in the artillery piece? if so you could set a condition to enable the loading inserter only if (there are no shells) and (gun should fire now).
The issue here is that you can't evaluate (gun should fire now): Sure, you know if I want to turn it on or not, but not if there is an actual target in reach that it'll actually fire at.

I didn't realize that I could take out the shells using an inserter (was assuming that similar to factories, you can't take out the "inputs"), I didn't try that yet but seems a little clumsy. I guess TBH being able to essentially enable/disable everything using using circuit networks would be neat, I just happened to hit this right now with artillery turrets.

hale42
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hale42 »

Is there a way to manually fire only in vanilla? the only thing i want them for is to kill one worm that is killing my stuff. right now i have 400+ turrets lining my wall ready for a signal to load ammo, so if i want one thing dead i have to set off a volley of shells

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”