Games Like Factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by steinio »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
I tried everything on the market today - there isn't a anything that comes close to Factorio.

Even Satisfactory is no match - only competitor.
Satisfactory is a eye catching gem, graphically wonderful but awful demanding processor wise and lacks the inner beauty of (top down view) "refined deep thought" mechanics
Sure, i would be surprised if there is a 2nd Factorio.

Coming soon:
- Flotsam
- Factory Town
- Forager
- The Colonists

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

https://steeluniversity.org/product-cat ... mulations/
Rythe wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Why care? Because sim fans and greater sense of progression.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Just been suggested this by Steam :
https://store.steampowered.com/app/860890/Factory_Town/
The whole game, up to the very logo seems very heavily inspired by Factorio
[Edit] Just seen this had been mentionned previously on this thread, but now, it's in Steam Early access.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Koub wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm
Just been suggested this by Steam :
[Edit] Just seen this had been mentionned previously on this thread, but now, it's in Steam Early access.
Yeah it looks really interesting. Factorio mixed with Banished, with a Kingdoms and Castles art style.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Every game that is cool and appeals to me seem to be in early access! One take away from TotalBiscuits podcasts that has stuck with me is that pre-ordering games is in general a bad idea for the end user as you're committing to an unknown final product. I've made two exceptions to this rule, one was rimworld and the other you can likely guess. And when it comes to AAA type games, never ever touch them early! I always wait for a bunch of reviews to land, and even then usually wait for the sales. Fallout 76 anyone? The most recent AAA type game to have massive hype prior to release, and then when the reviews land it's a whopping, awesome, 52%.

Most of the games I have on my wish list are early access, yet I wont commit to buying early. First world problems?

Maybe this is a bad view..? I don't know, I can imagine that for smaller game devs it must be a great boon to be able to get cash flow early on through green light or early access and the like.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@Koub:
Factory Town is nice-ish. But the 3D building interface was quite unpolished when i tried. And like all 3D games it suffers from stuff-is-below-other-stuff-and-i-can't-see-it-anymore. Guess factorio is just too good. Wube should buy Factory Town and force the developer to make a medival-themed factorio mod :p.

______
Ghoulish wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 pm
And when it comes to AAA type games, never ever touch them early! I always wait for a bunch of reviews to land, and even then usually wait for the sales. Fallout 76 anyone? The most recent AAA type game to have massive hype prior to release, and then when the reviews land it's a whopping, awesome, 52%.
Triple-A games have the naming wrong. When an AAA game is officially in "Early Access" it is "Pre-Alpha", if it's in "Beta" it's in "Very Early Access". The "Release" is equivalent to "Early Access". And the Game-of-the-Year edition if actually the "1.0 Release".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

eradicator wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Triple-A games have the naming wrong. When an AAA game is officially in "Early Access" it is "Pre-Alpha", if it's in "Beta" it's in "Very Early Access". The "Release" is equivalent to "Early Access". And the Game-of-the-Year edition if actually the "1.0 Release".
That's the greatest summation that I've heard in a long time. Right on the nose.

And I hate when games are released "complete", you install them, only to find out that there is a massive day one patch. I mean, seriously, you have money to back your project and you have play testers. Test a product, then release it. Big part of the reason that I haven't bought a game that wasn't already 2+ years old in quite a while. I only got Fallout 4, a game series that I have been a diehard fan since Fallout 1, about 6-8 months ago.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

csduff wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:15 pm
eradicator wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm
That's the greatest summation that I've heard in a long time. Right on the nose.

And I hate when games are released "complete", you install them, only to find out that there is a massive day one patch. I mean, seriously, you have money to back your project and you have play testers. Test a product, then release it. Big part of the reason that I haven't bought a game that wasn't already 2+ years old in quite a while. I only got Fallout 4, a game series that I have been a diehard fan since Fallout 1, about 6-8 months ago.
I totally concur. I now never ever buy a AAA-ish game before it's GOTY or gold with all dlcs on Steam - and at a massive discount on top.
But I realize I'm getting totally off-topic now, so I'l quit this here : I wouldn't want to moderate my own posts :P
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Koub wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm
I totally concur. I now never ever buy a AAA-ish game before it's GOTY or gold with all dlcs on Steam - and at a massive discount on top.
But I realize I'm getting totally off-topic now, so I'l quit this here : I wouldn't want to moderate my own posts :P
That's the thing isn't it. I just find it very hard to justify £50 odd on a new game, when I know that sooner or later it 'll be most likely on steam as goty, with all the bug fixes and add ons that brings. Err Factory Town looks neat though, as does Flotsam :) Time will tell.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Koub wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm
You're not kidding... the slow belts are even yellow, the middle brownish, and the fast blue! (from the steam page)

But it's only single-player, so I think that will cut some interest for me...
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

chuz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chuz »

Ghoulish wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 pm
Koub wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm
That's the thing isn't it. I just find it very hard to justify £50 odd on a new game, when I know that sooner or later it 'll be most likely on steam as goty, with all the bug fixes and add ons that brings. Err Factory Town looks neat though, as does Flotsam :) Time will tell.
I only buy games that i love for fullprice. and factorio, was the last one (@fullprice). 2 years already...

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
I only buy games that i love for fullprice. and factorio, was the last one (@fullprice). 2 years already...
Wish I could afford to do that. Though making sure you really love the game before you leap is smart. But for me when I look at most games even the big releases, and how I think they'll all have a bunch of patches to download in short order, then think about the price, an issue for me, but also consider how much I'll likely play it. Then I recall how even JawBreaker on the Atari, and every single game there after, all those cartridges, all those discs, right up until fast internet and online connectivity was common, were released bug free. All your base are belong to us.. You get what I mean though.

And you know what? I think - fuck most game devs. Lazy ass money grabbing gits for releasing buggy shit. Shame on you. Remember your roots. Factorio is doing it the right way. :)

Each to their own, of course :)

(EDIT: Maybe GOTY is like the old cartridge?)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

chuz wrote:
I only buy games that i love for fullprice.
Can i borrow your crystal ball? I'm having problems telling how much i'll like a game before i buy it.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm
chuz wrote:
Can i borrow your crystal ball? I'm having problems telling how much i'll like a game before i buy it.
Factorio has a demo, hence no need to utilize the full legal possibilities, but you could also buy a game, test it, and if you don't like it, ask for a refund ( at least in EU).

Else there also illegal way to test games so you don't buy unfinished products, but you'd need more than a crystal ball to protect yourselves against the police that monitors the internet ( at least in EU :D ).

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

chuz wrote:
Else there also illegal way to test games so you don't buy unfinished products, but you'd need more than a crystal ball to protect yourselves against the police that monitors the internet ( at least in EU :D ).
In my part of the EU the police neither actively monitors "the [whole] internet", nor is it allowed to, nor does it pursue private copyright infringements without orders from above. (also: off topic)
mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm
eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm
chuz wrote:
Factorio has a demo,
He's talking pural, i'm talking plural, you need to get perpendicular plural too :geek:.
(Translation: I obviously already bought factorio, so that's not what my comment was about.)

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Well then another way would be to wait for a game to be on sale, then buy it, play it, and if you like it , you buy it again full price !

Not something i can afford sadly, but to stay on topic here's a game that has some factorio feeling : Capitalism 2

Managing production chain, solve little puzzle to design your shops/factory, always trying to get moar money, very unpleasant graphics (2001) if you don't like spreadsheets, but can provide 100 hour + long game , very strategic but less open / sandbox than factorio.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 pm
Well then another way would be to wait for a game to be on sale, then buy it, play it, and if you like it , you buy it again full price !
I don't think you can buy stuff twice on steam, and anyway you'd be "over 9k fullprice" at that point. I really just wanted to point out that what he said is an unrealistic approach for most people. Anyway, no point in discussing if the original guy doesn't comment.

On Topic:
Voxel Tycoon is officially in "pre alpha access" for like..20$ ish now. Haven't played it yet myself, but the very very old developer videos did have some factory-with-transport-belts parts.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Ghoulish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm
chuz wrote:
Wish I could afford to do that. Though making sure you really love the game before you leap is smart. But for me when I look at most games even the big releases, and how I think they'll all have a bunch of patches to download in short order, then think about the price, an issue for me, but also consider how much I'll likely play it. Then I recall how even JawBreaker on the Atari, and every single game there after, all those cartridges, all those discs, right up until fast internet and online connectivity was common, were released bug free.
Sorry to say it, but they so totally were not even remotely released bug free. They just never got fixed because, well, impractical if not impossible.

Nice examples for you, since they are also fun stories if they are retained this long:

https://gameinternals.com/post/20725583 ... t-behavior
http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/#bugs

…and you can google the store of the poor, lost pokemon MissingNo. yourself, because there are about a million equally good anecdotes about that one. (Also, SMB and Pokemon have exploitable bugs that have been used to dynamically rewrite the application at runtime into some other game, because you can. On real hardware.)

The past is not nearly so rosy as it seems.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Have to disagree slippy! Games never shipped with 1Gb+ patches on release day. I made note of the bugs in some games in the All your base are belong to us quote. Sure bugs were there, it was a far better situation for the end gamer back in cartridge/ disc only days, as the devs didn't have a choice but to get things are right as they could. As there was no choice. I realise QA isn't perfect, but they sure as hell tried their best to get things bug free, no doubt there are some atrocious example that counter this, but there's always shit in any field, just have to look a little.

Fast internet lets game devs be lazy. Not only that I think there is a whole patch it later mentality which in part (perhaps?) is due to the terrible crunch / deadline nature for a lot of gaming devs. (Good) Gaming development is perhaps a little like a nice scotch, it take a little time before it's ready. Those games are the classics, or the ones we go back to time and again.

Micha DoH
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Micha DoH »

gullfounder wrote:
Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:06 pm
A new game in town like Factorio plus even the name is similar to factorio too :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/
Might as well check on this https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/factorio/android

Smartphone games are getting closer to computer games though the overall experience of a gaming pc is still far from mobile experience.

Return to “Off topic”