Games Like Factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Post Reply
User avatar
steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2200
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by steinio » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:03 am

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
I tried everything on the market today - there isn't a anything that comes close to Factorio.

Even Satisfactory is no match - only competitor.
Satisfactory is a eye catching gem, graphically wonderful but awful demanding processor wise and lacks the inner beauty of (top down view) "refined deep thought" mechanics
Sure, i would be surprised if there is a 2nd Factorio.

Coming soon:
- Flotsam
- Factory Town
- Forager
- The Colonists
Image
Transport Belt Repair Man
My little mods: Link | My favourite mods: Bob's Mods | Angel's Mods | Yuoki Railway Core | EvoGUI | Logistic Train Network
Factorio Cheat Sheet by Denis Zholob

View unread Posts

User avatar
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:14 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by featherwinglove » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 am

https://steeluniversity.org/product-cat ... mulations/
Rythe wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Why care? Because sim fans and greater sense of progression.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4789
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Koub » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Just been suggested this by Steam :
https://store.steampowered.com/app/860890/Factory_Town/
The whole game, up to the very logo seems very heavily inspired by Factorio
[Edit] Just seen this had been mentionned previously on this thread, but now, it's in Steam Early access.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by 5thHorseman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Koub wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm
Just been suggested this by Steam :
https://store.steampowered.com/app/860890/Factory_Town/
The whole game, up to the very logo seems very heavily inspired by Factorio
[Edit] Just seen this had been mentionned previously on this thread, but now, it's in Steam Early access.
Yeah it looks really interesting. Factorio mixed with Banished, with a Kingdoms and Castles art style.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Ghoulish » Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Every game that is cool and appeals to me seem to be in early access! One take away from TotalBiscuits podcasts that has stuck with me is that pre-ordering games is in general a bad idea for the end user as you're committing to an unknown final product. I've made two exceptions to this rule, one was rimworld and the other you can likely guess. And when it comes to AAA type games, never ever touch them early! I always wait for a bunch of reviews to land, and even then usually wait for the sales. Fallout 76 anyone? The most recent AAA type game to have massive hype prior to release, and then when the reviews land it's a whopping, awesome, 52%.

Most of the games I have on my wish list are early access, yet I wont commit to buying early. First world problems?

Maybe this is a bad view..? I don't know, I can imagine that for smaller game devs it must be a great boon to be able to get cash flow early on through green light or early access and the like.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! Say hello :D https://www.twitch.tv/fruityrob

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by eradicator » Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm

@Koub:
Factory Town is nice-ish. But the 3D building interface was quite unpolished when i tried. And like all 3D games it suffers from stuff-is-below-other-stuff-and-i-can't-see-it-anymore. Guess factorio is just too good. Wube should buy Factory Town and force the developer to make a medival-themed factorio mod :p.

______
Ghoulish wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 pm
And when it comes to AAA type games, never ever touch them early! I always wait for a bunch of reviews to land, and even then usually wait for the sales. Fallout 76 anyone? The most recent AAA type game to have massive hype prior to release, and then when the reviews land it's a whopping, awesome, 52%.
Triple-A games have the naming wrong. When an AAA game is officially in "Early Access" it is "Pre-Alpha", if it's in "Beta" it's in "Very Early Access". The "Release" is equivalent to "Early Access". And the Game-of-the-Year edition if actually the "1.0 Release".
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

csduff
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by csduff » Mon May 27, 2019 8:15 pm

eradicator wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Triple-A games have the naming wrong. When an AAA game is officially in "Early Access" it is "Pre-Alpha", if it's in "Beta" it's in "Very Early Access". The "Release" is equivalent to "Early Access". And the Game-of-the-Year edition if actually the "1.0 Release".
That's the greatest summation that I've heard in a long time. Right on the nose.

And I hate when games are released "complete", you install them, only to find out that there is a massive day one patch. I mean, seriously, you have money to back your project and you have play testers. Test a product, then release it. Big part of the reason that I haven't bought a game that wasn't already 2+ years old in quite a while. I only got Fallout 4, a game series that I have been a diehard fan since Fallout 1, about 6-8 months ago.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4789
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Koub » Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm

csduff wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:15 pm
eradicator wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Triple-A games have the naming wrong. When an AAA game is officially in "Early Access" it is "Pre-Alpha", if it's in "Beta" it's in "Very Early Access". The "Release" is equivalent to "Early Access". And the Game-of-the-Year edition if actually the "1.0 Release".
That's the greatest summation that I've heard in a long time. Right on the nose.

And I hate when games are released "complete", you install them, only to find out that there is a massive day one patch. I mean, seriously, you have money to back your project and you have play testers. Test a product, then release it. Big part of the reason that I haven't bought a game that wasn't already 2+ years old in quite a while. I only got Fallout 4, a game series that I have been a diehard fan since Fallout 1, about 6-8 months ago.
I totally concur. I now never ever buy a AAA-ish game before it's GOTY or gold with all dlcs on Steam - and at a massive discount on top.
But I realize I'm getting totally off-topic now, so I'l quit this here : I wouldn't want to moderate my own posts :P
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Ghoulish » Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Koub wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm
I totally concur. I now never ever buy a AAA-ish game before it's GOTY or gold with all dlcs on Steam - and at a massive discount on top.
But I realize I'm getting totally off-topic now, so I'l quit this here : I wouldn't want to moderate my own posts :P
That's the thing isn't it. I just find it very hard to justify £50 odd on a new game, when I know that sooner or later it 'll be most likely on steam as goty, with all the bug fixes and add ons that brings. Err Factory Town looks neat though, as does Flotsam :) Time will tell.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! Say hello :D https://www.twitch.tv/fruityrob

User avatar
Ranger_Aurelien
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Ranger_Aurelien » Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Koub wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm
https://store.steampowered.com/app/860890/Factory_Town/
The whole game, up to the very logo seems very heavily inspired by Factorio
You're not kidding... the slow belts are even yellow, the middle brownish, and the fast blue! (from the steam page)

But it's only single-player, so I think that will cut some interest for me...
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

chuz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by chuz » Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm

Ghoulish wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 pm
Koub wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm
I totally concur. I now never ever buy a AAA-ish game before it's GOTY or gold with all dlcs on Steam - and at a massive discount on top.
But I realize I'm getting totally off-topic now, so I'l quit this here : I wouldn't want to moderate my own posts :P
That's the thing isn't it. I just find it very hard to justify £50 odd on a new game, when I know that sooner or later it 'll be most likely on steam as goty, with all the bug fixes and add ons that brings. Err Factory Town looks neat though, as does Flotsam :) Time will tell.
I only buy games that i love for fullprice. and factorio, was the last one (@fullprice). 2 years already...

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Ghoulish » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm

chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
I only buy games that i love for fullprice. and factorio, was the last one (@fullprice). 2 years already...
Wish I could afford to do that. Though making sure you really love the game before you leap is smart. But for me when I look at most games even the big releases, and how I think they'll all have a bunch of patches to download in short order, then think about the price, an issue for me, but also consider how much I'll likely play it. Then I recall how even JawBreaker on the Atari, and every single game there after, all those cartridges, all those discs, right up until fast internet and online connectivity was common, were released bug free. All your base are belong to us.. You get what I mean though.

And you know what? I think - fuck most game devs. Lazy ass money grabbing gits for releasing buggy shit. Shame on you. Remember your roots. Factorio is doing it the right way. :)

Each to their own, of course :)

(EDIT: Maybe GOTY is like the old cartridge?)
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! Say hello :D https://www.twitch.tv/fruityrob

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by eradicator » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm

chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
I only buy games that i love for fullprice.
Can i borrow your crystal ball? I'm having problems telling how much i'll like a game before i buy it.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

mmmPI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by mmmPI » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm
chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
I only buy games that i love for fullprice.
Can i borrow your crystal ball? I'm having problems telling how much i'll like a game before i buy it.
Factorio has a demo, hence no need to utilize the full legal possibilities, but you could also buy a game, test it, and if you don't like it, ask for a refund ( at least in EU).

Else there also illegal way to test games so you don't buy unfinished products, but you'd need more than a crystal ball to protect yourselves against the police that monitors the internet ( at least in EU :D ).

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by eradicator » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm

chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
Else there also illegal way to test games so you don't buy unfinished products, but you'd need more than a crystal ball to protect yourselves against the police that monitors the internet ( at least in EU :D ).
In my part of the EU the police neither actively monitors "the [whole] internet", nor is it allowed to, nor does it pursue private copyright infringements without orders from above. (also: off topic)
mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm
eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm
chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
I only buy games that i love for fullprice.
Can i borrow your crystal ball? I'm having problems telling how much i'll like a game before i buy it.
Factorio has a demo,
He's talking pural, i'm talking plural, you need to get perpendicular plural too :geek:.
(Translation: I obviously already bought factorio, so that's not what my comment was about.)
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

mmmPI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by mmmPI » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Well then another way would be to wait for a game to be on sale, then buy it, play it, and if you like it , you buy it again full price !

Not something i can afford sadly, but to stay on topic here's a game that has some factorio feeling : Capitalism 2

Managing production chain, solve little puzzle to design your shops/factory, always trying to get moar money, very unpleasant graphics (2001) if you don't like spreadsheets, but can provide 100 hour + long game , very strategic but less open / sandbox than factorio.

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by eradicator » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 pm
Well then another way would be to wait for a game to be on sale, then buy it, play it, and if you like it , you buy it again full price !
I don't think you can buy stuff twice on steam, and anyway you'd be "over 9k fullprice" at that point. I really just wanted to point out that what he said is an unrealistic approach for most people. Anyway, no point in discussing if the original guy doesn't comment.

On Topic:
Voxel Tycoon is officially in "pre alpha access" for like..20$ ish now. Haven't played it yet myself, but the very very old developer videos did have some factory-with-transport-belts parts.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

slippycheeze
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by slippycheeze » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Ghoulish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm
chuz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm
I only buy games that i love for fullprice. and factorio, was the last one (@fullprice). 2 years already...
Wish I could afford to do that. Though making sure you really love the game before you leap is smart. But for me when I look at most games even the big releases, and how I think they'll all have a bunch of patches to download in short order, then think about the price, an issue for me, but also consider how much I'll likely play it. Then I recall how even JawBreaker on the Atari, and every single game there after, all those cartridges, all those discs, right up until fast internet and online connectivity was common, were released bug free.
Sorry to say it, but they so totally were not even remotely released bug free. They just never got fixed because, well, impractical if not impossible.

Nice examples for you, since they are also fun stories if they are retained this long:

https://gameinternals.com/post/20725583 ... t-behavior
http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/#bugs

…and you can google the store of the poor, lost pokemon MissingNo. yourself, because there are about a million equally good anecdotes about that one. (Also, SMB and Pokemon have exploitable bugs that have been used to dynamically rewrite the application at runtime into some other game, because you can. On real hardware.)


The past is not nearly so rosy as it seems.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by Ghoulish » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Have to disagree slippy! Games never shipped with 1Gb+ patches on release day. I made note of the bugs in some games in the All your base are belong to us quote. Sure bugs were there, it was a far better situation for the end gamer back in cartridge/ disc only days, as the devs didn't have a choice but to get things are right as they could. As there was no choice. I realise QA isn't perfect, but they sure as hell tried their best to get things bug free, no doubt there are some atrocious example that counter this, but there's always shit in any field, just have to look a little.

Fast internet lets game devs be lazy. Not only that I think there is a whole patch it later mentality which in part (perhaps?) is due to the terrible crunch / deadline nature for a lot of gaming devs. (Good) Gaming development is perhaps a little like a nice scotch, it take a little time before it's ready. Those games are the classics, or the ones we go back to time and again.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! Say hello :D https://www.twitch.tv/fruityrob

Post Reply

Return to “Off topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users