Playing on LAN with no Internet Connection

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Nodding
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Playing on LAN with no Internet Connection

Post by Nodding »

Hello,

I am trying to play the game with a friend on a LAN connection. The thing is, this network has no Internet Access, just the two computers together. This set-up has worked for Civilization V. It does not work for Factorio, saying it can not connect to a network (which I assume it is trying to log in to the servers here.)

If this is true, isn't this against the whole idea of LAN? Being able to play without access to internet?

We were both playing on the latest release.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Playing on LAN with no Internet Connection

Post by Zavian »

Playing on a LAN without internet access should work (I don't have a second PC here to check atm).

Make sure that you disable "verify user identity" when hosting, because that requires logging into the auth servers.

If the client doesn't see the host in the play on LAN screen, you can probably connect using the connect to server option and supplying the host's LAN IP address.

Dae
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dae »

On gog/factorio.com version you can play on Lan directly

Nodding
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nodding »

Ok, I got it to work. I had to disable "verify user identity" on the host PC. I then had to log out of my factorio account on the other PC, so it would not check to log in with that either (I think that is how it ended up working, I can not verify.)

Because I was testing this with two of my own PCs, I had to change my name on LAN on one of them to finally connect.

To the devs, please do not have so many checks for accounts, sometimes I have to play this with no Wifi, just an access point! I am happy after the fiddling it is working correctly.

Return to “Technical Help”