What mods are you using - and why?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: What mods are you using - and why?

Post by GrumpyJoe »

seen you posting it twice now.
Yes, dont ever add Bobs ores (new ores) or angels refining (removing Bob´s ore patches, making 6 new ones which you have to sort and combine to get Bob´s ores again) in the middle of a vanilla game.
Totally destroyed one of my first maps, as i foolishly saved it over the only save file i had of that base. Was my first contact with mods at all, should have tested it first :roll: :lol:

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 pm
Great big god of all inserters!
At first I though it was a list of ALL Factorio mods :shock:
:lol:
First of - I got sidetracked from your post by a mod called Remote Switch that has less than 300 downloads, but a feature I really wanted. I'm in the building phase of my magabase (4800 sppm) and all my builds shut down when I'm not testing (first for power needs from 15.000 extra beacons) as it does not need to run until all is built and rockets and labs ready.
The remote enabled me to turn it all on/off from anywhere (not just from the box at my Pax train-station at the mall). It also solved how I could keep trains from leaving my LTN depots when I shut things down. So taken a few days to fix, but Remote Switch now fully operational and very cool to have :)
That looks like a nice mod there, very handy tool! I'm sure I can fit in in my little collection somewhere. :D
I started on your list the day you posted it. Appreciate you putting in the links - saved a lot of time when looking them up - and it's a looooong list..
Some players do go all the way and you seem to fit that category with Bob's and SpaceX (and think I will do the same after this build).
I hope you could find some useful mods. I'm trying not to go too crazy with mods, in terms of overhaul-mods. You can go much more crazy than I do. I like that Bob sticks close to vanilla and he offers a good challenge.
Also see a trend in players that go this way having a lot more helper mods: (FNEI, Helmod, Max Rate Calculator, Multi-Product Recipe Details, What is it really used for, YARM, LTN). These are in no way cheating as they only give information and do nto change anything in the game.
For me essential mods, especially with big overhaul-mods. For a vanilla run, that i usually do with a major version jump, to get a feel for the changes, I try to use as little mods as possible. Usually just helper mods.
I also see that players that go for Bob, Angel, SpaceX and similar are seasoned players with 100's of hours in Factorio - and they tend to do a lot of "convenience" mods (that would be cheating for vanilla players) such as: long reach, robot replacer, crafting speed research, ghost placer or nanobots, mini loaders, warehouse, picker tools, squeak through and similar.
Some feel more cheaty than others, but are really convenient. It took some time to find the right measure that suits my playstyle.

I have seen YouTube videos of mega bases that are insane in design and I will never be able to do anything close that them as I don't even know how to start something in that magnitude and precision as showcased, and if you have not seen a speed build video it's worth the 2,5 hours as it's amazing! I'm still trying to get red and green up at 2,5 hours :oops:

There are so many ways to play Factorio and so little time to play as much as I like. So many combinations of mods. And then there's also the older versions, that I occassionally still play, like 0.12 with the original Dytech mods.
I'm not so into speedruns. But it is fun to watch and you learn something for your base building and find new stuff to try out in your game.

Do not see an armor upgrade like I have in Power Armor MK3 - or is that in Bob's Warefare?
Bob has Power armor up to MK5 and lots of other stuff in warfare.
Thanks again fishycat for you input - appreciate it!
You are welcome! :)

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

My games are usually biter-less and very train-focused. Here is what I use.

I-love-trains mods Trains are the part of Factorio I enjoy most. LTN allows to use them in a much more realistic and fun fashion. A must-have for me. Train & Fuel Overhaul for additional locomotive and wagon tiers, Vehicle Grid to be able to put roboports and construction bots in my personal train. FARL to build long-distance rail connections. Merging chests might not sound like a train mod, but it makes balanced stations so much easier to set up with reduced entity count (see below).

Belts-over-bots mods Beltboxes to be able to have high throughput belts without designing 50+ wide buses. Bob logistics for faster belts and inserters.

Lazy-bastard mods Too lazy to run up to stuff, to annoyed by getting stuck on buildings, can't be bothered with carrying enough wires. Also, my buildings are on wheels and can move when needed. I am not going to pick everything up just to plop it back down two tiles over. And finally, infinite ores (set to low-ish yield) so I don't have to rebuild mining outposts all the time.

My-computer-is-old mods Larger, more powerful variants of assemblers, miners, etc. Allows me to use less entities for the same end result and keeps my CPU happy. Same reason for Deadlock Experimental Stacking, as it allows me to directly smelt stacked ore into stacked plates.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

eduran wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am
My games are usually biter-less and very train-focused. Here is what I use.
Mine too... Done biters, but found them just a distraction from building and having fun.. while my brother swears to Biters being an important part of Factorio...
I-love-trains mods
Nothing to be shameless about here eduran! Optera's LTN is a great train mod for Factorio and your GUI for LTN has made it a fantastic mod!

Train & Fuel Overhaul - way cool, like the extra cargo space on Heavy and Electric. (had any Nuclear trains crash and go "BOOOM!!"? :o )
Vehicle Grid - ohh it adds inventory space in the locomotive - dang, that sounds fun. Can give my smelter/builder train a hole new function with internal robots and roboport. Don't need to go with it.. just send it off with a blueprint sent down and it will do the rests. hmmm....
FARL - really do need to check this out one day.. I'm doing way to much manual rail laying. (well.. sitting in train using blueprint while my 500 personal robots do the job - works nice with Zoom mod.)
Merging chests - this was new... Does this mean I can have the trains unload into 1 chest on each side of the train instead of into 144 of them (6-12). Would solve my issue of lazy robots not emptying the first and last wagon :)
Belts-over-bots mods Beltboxes to be able to have high throughput belts without designing 50+ wide buses. Bob logistics for faster belts and inserters.
No! No Bob stuff for me yet! Scary to do modified mods as you have to do them again every time there is an update, but see where the logistics of Bob's would be fun. Looked at that myself. Now what I really might get into instead for more speed and more on belt is a Lane Balancer since my BUS, Mall and most everywhere seem to end up only having stuff on one side of the belt (all the time). This should fix it I hope. Made last week and less than 300 downloads, so bit scary, but might have a go at it as it looks awesome...
Miniloader on the other hand just looks too good not to have! Even though I have mostly bot based loading/unloading this time - this looks fast and UPS friendly (and already down to low 50's).
Lazy-bastard mods
Too lazy to run up to stuff, to annoyed by getting stuck on buildings, can't be bothered with carrying enough wires. Also, my buildings are on wheels and can move when needed. I am not going to pick everything up just to plop it back down two tiles over. And finally, infinite ores (set to low-ish yield) so I don't have to rebuild mining outposts all the time.
Think we all have them after a few builds of Factorio... Buildings on wheels?
My-computer-is-old mods Larger, more powerful variants of assemblers, miners, etc. Allows me to use less entities for the same end result and keeps my CPU happy. Same reason for Deadlock Experimental Stacking, as it allows me to directly smelt stacked ore into stacked plates.
Bob's Adjustable Inserters would be awesome for certain things - really advanced. (but no Bob this time - and I mean it!).
Bucket Wheel Excavator would have been nice, but got my mines all set I think. Also, with no biters, extra pollution - no problem :)

Thanks for you input eduran!
Fantastic that, after so many posts here, there are still a lot of very nice mods out there I have not heard about (or thought of a use for).

/old dude
:geek:
FACTORIO EDAX TEMPUS, VITA BREVIS.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I don't want to change vanilla gameplay where I can avoid, so I use:
  • Creative Mod - to test out / plain designs
  • Helmod - for ratios and calculations
  • Bottleneck - to see what's working
  • FARL - does change gameplay, but I can't be bothered to manually build long stretches of rail
  • Personal Shuttle Train - still a bit more convenient than the new temporary stop feature, and feels 'vanilla' enough. I think I can probably replace it by some sort of vanilla PAX setup with the new options though.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

vanatteveldt wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:18 pm
I don't want to change vanilla gameplay where I can avoid, so I use:
Kind of in the same mindset...
Well, I do have some "cheater-light" mods.. like nanobots (cheat in early game, now just fun), far-reach, squeak-through (really do enjoy the movement freedom it gives), PowerArmor (mostly for the bigger inventory and extra roboports, run speed).. oh yeah.. re-vamped my solar higher level (same cost+ just less footprint). ohh ehh some waterfill, LTN with Tracker, rails on water.. darn it....

... guess I do use a lot of mods that change vanilla :o

But still basic production stuff (no Bob, Angel or SpaceX - Yet!).

But, have to admit I'm getting closer to where I have to design and build my Production science (4800 sppm) and not looking forward to that. Thinking hard about mod for changing stack size so I can do something about rails (500 stack?). Having 14 belts with rails in Production science just does not make sense. Have that discussion going on here.

Had not seen personal shuttle train before... assume it's this mod: Shuttle Train Continued? Only one I could find. Looks like fun, but I have PAX trains (Personal, Railbuild, Mine/Smelter, Solar & Landfill) all with stations at my mall. Usually set up PAX station(s) at new builds, train depots etc. by habit so do not think I will change that.

/old dude

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

the shuttle train mod simply adds some ease of use for pax trains. You still make the train and stations, but you can easily call the shuttle train to a station, and when you get in it gives a pop-up with stations you can go to.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

vanatteveldt wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:03 am
the shuttle train mod simply adds some ease of use for pax trains. You still make the train and stations, but you can easily call the shuttle train to a station, and when you get in it gives a pop-up with stations you can go to.
Nice feature... just counted and have 39 PAX stations, so a pop-up would have been nice ;)

/old dude

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Yeahhh - way to go Eduran!!!

He said he was working on it, and now out - Train Alert GUI

Installed and seem to do what I hoped it would do... it alerts me if trains are waiting (too long) for a signal = train pile-up at intersection somewhere...

Still got rail issues as my 18 (6-12-0) trains are still to long at certain places and I'm still changing intersections to fix problem areas. (Why can I never learn and use the space better?).

The great thing with this mod is that it will alert you of the pileup and you can fix fast by sending a problem train on a different route - hopefully without going there in person... This is especially great for me as I'm using LTN and that will cancel trains that are waiting too long. Now I can fix before LTN starts complaining :)

Big thanks to Eduran for making the mod!!

Unfortunately my latest build - Utility science, is now full up and stopped - so almost no trains out running about :roll:
Will not be able to test more until my Rocket part production plant is up and ready for testing...

/old dude

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

none - without a specific reason.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

dog80 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm
HARDCORE MAN !!!! :o
As they say, it's easier to do without, than try and then do without... It's basically addictive with mods - now I just can't live without 'em!

/old dude

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

dog80 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm
Same thing. None when I actually play, because I want the authentic experience, and the Steam achievements.

However, I have added the Creative mod when I have to test things to answer various posts, check bug reports, tech issues, gameplay help requests, ... on the forum.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

5thHorseman wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 pm
Squeak Through - I'd use a mod that just ignores all hitboxes for player movement if it existed.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NoCollision

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Qon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 pm
Squeak Through - I'd use a mod that just ignores all hitboxes for player movement if it existed.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NoCollision
Haha I should have guessed that someone would have done it by now.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Squeak Through is excellent. It and Bottleneck are always the first mods I install. Would not play without them.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 am
Squeak Through is excellent. It and Bottleneck are always the first mods I install. Would not play without them.
Agree!
Squeak through is cheating, but I strongly believe that Bottleneck should be part of Factorio standard package. There is no reason why this should not be a part of the original upload as it just provides a helpful visual view of production status. Almost impossible to spot faulty assemblers in a huge plant without it.

/old dude

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 am
zOldBulldog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 am
Agree!
Squeak through is cheating, but I strongly believe that Bottleneck should be part of Factorio standard package. There is no reason why this should not be a part of the original upload as it just provides a helpful visual view of production status. Almost impossible to spot faulty assemblers in a huge plant without it.

/old dude
Cheating?!!!

1) It just fixes a flawed hitbox design. A better design would have been much closer to what Squeakthrough does and would have made the mod unnecessary.
That is the very definition of a QOL mod.

2) Factorio is a sandbox game, not one where you compete with others. So, by definition you do whatever you want to make it enjoyable to you, including the use of mods. Because of it I'll go as far as to say that "nothing" is cheating, except perhaps not paying for it :)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

I have mods installed, just like everyone else.

Mod names taken from my mod-list.json because writing down their titles manually is way to much work.
Helper and QoL:
  • HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting: Automatically start handcrafting an item that is quickbar filtered that you don't have enough of whenever your crafting queue is empty. My first mod. It's great! The convience of logistics slots for automatic delivery in the early game.
  • ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines: Shows chunk lines for easy blueprint alignment. Like the debug option but without tile grid that you can't disable and hurts my eyes. It is also configurable to any size so you can use to for roboport sized grids or radar sized if that's what you want. A must have mod, that's why I made it.
  • BlueprintExtensions: Flipping, re-aligning, updating blueprints, adding landfill. Many must-have BP things.
  • entity-symmetry: Helps me make symmetrical blueprints. Kinda necessary if you do big blueprints that are perfectly symmetrical and rapid prototyping.
  • Squeak Through: You all know it already.
  • WireShortcuts: Wires are already free in blueprints. This mod makes wires a shortcut tool so making combinator circuits is less annoying.
  • wood-stack-1k: Makes wood less annoying before I have access to the lovely fire.
  • PickerDollies: Lets you move things without having to rewire them. Faster than cut-paste for some small adjustments.
  • GhostBuster: Cancels deconstruction of entities when a ghost of the same entity is placed on top of them.
  • auto-research: Picking what to research makes sense first time you play. Research Queue is not enough.
  • autobuild: Some might think this is cheaty, but building by hand is not the fun part of starting a new world. Makes early game blueprint design relevant for experienced Factorians.
  • long-reach: Can't play without it.
  • Auto_Deploy_Destroyers: Less clicking, more fun.
  • lamp-placer: Just use the planner tool to automatically place lamps.
  • VehicleSnap: Makes vehicles slighly less annoying to use.
  • VehicleVaulting: Lets you enter and exit vehicles without placing them down, picking them up or filling them with ammo. Just press enter while running around and you are in your car/tank/locomotive and ready to go. Also picks up your vehicle automatically when you exit it. Makes vehicles bearable to use. My own mod that I haven't released yet.
  • AllNightVision: Makes the batteries internally in the night vision equipment last all night without additional batteries. I just installed if for the clever name though q:
  • artillery-bombardment-remote: Just reduces excessive clicking.
  • AutoDeconstruct: Used to think it was pointless. But it doesn't really hurt so why not use it anyways? :>
  • auto_manual_mode: Name sounds like an oxymoron :D press WASD in trains to go switch to manual mode.
  • Clean_Tree_Burning: No leftover trees after my forest fires.
  • GhostInHand: When a last held item is placed it is replaced with its ghost.
  • First_One_Is_Free: Gives 1 extra inventory slots for each unique item you carry. Currently disabled because I have:...
  • ...InfiniteInventory: Like the previous mod but without any limitations. My own mod but just a personal mod dev experiment, haven't released it.
  • RadarGridGuide, RadarMarker, JRadarRange, SchallRadarAlignment: Some radar placing mods I'm trying out.
  • LD_AutoCircuit: Circuit wires placed automatically for big poles.
  • AttilaQuickBarMod: Handcrafted things automatically appear on quickbar. I use it with HandyHands.
  • platforms: Landfill that you can pick up again. Can't be used to cheat like waterfill so it's preferable to that in my non-creative worlds.
  • power-grid-comb: I can't stand crossing wires but doing it manually is a chore.
  • pushbutton: Single tick pulse constant combinator. Buttons that you can press to control your cicruits. Also really satisfying to use.
  • remote-switch: A constant combinator that you can toggle from anywhere.
  • quick-charge-personal-bots-continued: Mining personal construction bots to charge them is annoying. This is effectivly the same but automatic.
  • ReloadMods: Lets mod developers reload mods without reloading the save.
  • romulinhosresearchqueuealwaystrue: I always forget to turn research queue on. This mod turns it on for me.
  • some-corpsemarker: Marks your body on the map so you can find it again. Haven't died since I installed it though. Better install it and not need it than die and lose your items because you can't find your body.
Gameplay changes:
  • recursive-blueprints: Control blueprint placement via circuit network. Should be vanilla. I use it to build my self-expanding factory. I'm designing my walking wall of lasers to automate taking space and kill the natives and also place solar panels. Might also use it for completely automating making new ore outposts and some factory building.
    ConMan is an alternative with more features but also a bit convoluted and messy. And I think it has some features that don't really belong in it.
  • LuaCombinator2: Circuits are pretty annoying to wire up. And then you need to move things around and have to rewire them. And they are completely unreadable. Just a big mess. This mod gives you a combinator you can run Lua code on. I'm using it with Recursive Blueprints for a self-expanding factory. The Lua Combinator can do anything, but I'm only using it to send circuit signals to the circuit network it is connected.
  • robotarmy: Another mod to automate murdering the natives. It's great making a factory that spits out robots that go on the attack! :D Death should be automated too!
  • LaboriousLaboratory: Hand-research without a lab . Drink the science packs! Uses science packs from your inventory to slowly research. I made it because someone requested it (he wanted to make early game slower) and I thought it was a silly idea. Not sure why anyone would want this though xD
  • AllMinable: Makes most intermediates minable/pumpable in their own fields that you have to find. Haven't really played with it yet but it seems like a nice way to make a world about trains more focused on that. I've built early game intermediate factories before anyways.
  • LoaderRedux: I might use it for train stations. Should be vanilla to make belts a bit more useful. They can't really replace inserters anyways so I don't get why they didn't include them.
  • LootMilitaryScience: Researching weapon tech with science packs that you loot from the natives is a pretty neat idea.
  • LootChestPlus: But picking loot up manually is boring.
  • NapalmArtillery: I like setting the world on fire. I like wildfire that spreads.
  • NaturalTreeExpansionReloaded_016: Makes forests grow over time. I need the forest to grow back so that I can ignite it again. But it seems to be a bit too CPU intensive so I might not use it.
  • Nightfall: Natives are more aggressive at nights.
  • Rampant: Smarter native AI.
  • Swarmageddon: Makes big natives split into many smaller ones when they die. Disabled atm because I play mostly creative mode and this mod can make biter attacks consume a lot of CPU time.
  • Orbital Ion Cannon: Installed it before artillery was a thing. It's still really cool though so I'm keeping it for a while longer.
  • ShockTurret: early game weak laser turret because I'm tired of supplying gun turrets with ammo without logistics bots. Belts are just annoying for this.
  • scan-rocket-with-radars: Lets you scan the map by launching rockets. Seems like a fun way to use up all the resources when you have a megabase that shoots multiple rockets per minute. Haven't actually tried it yet though.
  • base: It's not a cheat ;>
Cheats:
  • creative-mod: Most of my time is spent designing blueprints in creative mod to be used sometime in the future on worlds without this mod...
  • creative-world-plus: Used in my creative mod worlds. Concrete everywhere and no water is useful for BP design.
  • CreativeItems: Some of what creative mod does (but far from all) but in a more CPU efficient way.
  • pumps-everywhere, inland_pumps: for blueprint design of power setups.
  • NoCollision: Collisions are just annoying on creative worlds
  • ore-eraser: Quicker than the tools CM gives you to remove ores because it has no settings, just select.
  • Magic Crafting Stick: I made it by request of someone who wanted hand crafting to be instant, but not free. I don't use it myself. Link: viewtopic.php?f=190&t=68870
  • some-luaconsole: a lua console that doesn't enable achievements. I don't really need it but I installed it anyways because the console shouldn't disable achievments when mods don't. It's just stupid. Mods can do everything console commands can do and more so it makes no sense at all.
  • VoidChestPlus: More performant voiding of items.
  • Waterfill_v17: Useful for testing.
Graphical only:
  • alien-biomes: Extends Factorio startup a bit but I like the new biomes.
  • AlmostInvisibleElectricWires: I use it to make wires a bit transparent.
  • bullet-trails: Makes gun turrets look cooler than lasers again.
  • CleanestConcrete: No grass on my concrete!
  • Concretexture: Lets me have a tile-grid concrete again.
  • CoverupFIX: Puts tiles on top of ores.
  • Enhanced_Map_Colors: Default is just blue for everything which makes the map less useful.
  • LightCone: Better flashligh graphics.
  • more-minimap-autohide-017: Self explanatory.
  • Noxys_Extra_Settings_Info: Shows default values for mod settings.
  • rainbow-player-color: Makes you change color over time. Why not?
  • SmoothWarnings: Makes the flashing no-power icon etc. smaller and slghtly less annoying.
  • Bottleneck: Needs no introduction.
  • Underneathies: Renames underneathies to their actual name in game. :3
  • Infinizoom: Zoom more, useful when aligning HUGE blueprints.
  • ZoomPresets: Another zooming mod. Actually even better in most cases.
  • Visible_Bots: Makes bots visible on the map.
  • visual-signals: Lets me read circuit signals from anywhere. Good combo with "remote switches"
Map:
  • ChangeMapSettings: If I get a map setting wrong I don't want to start over.
  • regenerate-terrain: After changing map settings it's nice to update the terrain that you have already explored also. So it's not just newly discovered stuff that uses new map settings.
  • DeleteEmptyChunks: Used to get filesize down and increase performance.
  • Factorissimo2: I played a map where I tried to squeeze an entire base into a single building on nauvis. I don't use it in regular play though.
Just trying it out but don't really use actually:
  • AutoMine: I have blueprints and those work better for me since I get about the same ease of use and I get more control over the design. But it's a neat experiment in meta-automation so I installed it anyways.
  • BotShots: Artillery that shoots construction bots and building material to remote blueprints that are not connected to your construction network.
  • Circuit-Map-Pinger: Just testing.
  • DiscoScience: Cool graphical only mod but I haven't played outside my creative mod worlds for a while so I can't say much about it.
  • JunkTrain2: Might be fun to get really early trains.
  • nobeltsvanillagame: Give you early but slower low tech bots as a belt alternative. I don't disable belts though.
  • QuickItemSwap: I haven't bothered learning the hotkeys but it seems like a neat mod to switch between related items like belts and splitters etc.
Bugged:
  • BlueprintAlignment: Works pretty great, but doesn't let you undo. Installed so I can stay notified of updates because when that's fixed it will be great.
  • Autopole: Doesn't work at all, just crashes the game. Subscribed for updates. Supposed to help you automatically place poles to connect ellectric networks.
  • Construction_Drones: early game land-based cute compilatron construction drones. But I can't get it to work.

And another 27 mods that I are just library dependencies for other mods or mods I've tried and then disabled but haven't yet uninstalled. And then there's a few hundred mods that I have uninstalled.

I like mods.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Long list incoming!

AAI suite: Chain gunners are better than turret creeping, auto-pathing delivery vehicles and fun with circuits!
Ammo Loader: Self explanatory.
Auto Deconstruct: Self explanatory.
Bio Industries: Surrounding my base with trees grown from saplings is fun.
Bob's suite: I usually disable the big recipe changing parts and keep the inserters and logistics.
Bottleneck: Self explanatory.
Bullet Trails: Nice to see when a turret or chain gunner shoots randomly.
Clock: How long until I can see again?
Compression Chests: Helps smooth out spikes in ore production.
Even Distribution: Self explanatory.
Factorio Is Not An Idle Clicker (Personal copy I updated from 0.16 version): I like moving and crafting fast.
Factorissimo: Factories inside factories.
Fast Remove Tiles: No more slowly removing tiles from blueprints you didn't pay attention to.
FNEI: Should I spam production or just one assembler?
Land Mover: Allows placing water by digging up landfill.
Loader Redux: Larger loaders but do not require power.
Long Reach: Self explanatory.
Loot Military Science: Gives a boost to science research in the beginning.
Omni Suite: Sometimes I play with it, sometimes I don't. Replace all minable resources with one ore that needs to be processed into other ores/oil.
Spreaders: Especially useful for mining outposts that have uneven belt side production and even patch depletion.
Squeak Through: Self explanatory.
Text Plates: I like to label circuit network stuff.
Tiny Start: Early hand full of bots.
Vehicle Snap: No more constant direction corrections.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

I'm back! (I think)

What's up fellow factory workers (and designers). Been gone since April, but wanted to check out the change in oil. So back for a little run at least.
Back in April I decided to do ALL the Factorio Steam achievements... They have to be done with no mads installed!!!

After spending several hours finding the perfect map (with and without biters) I set to it and did all but the 8 hour one solo. (got to 9:23 solo).
Then I got my brother to help. First run was only test and planning. We spent way to much time on bus design and keeping full bus and took 10 hours to complete. But we ended up with good plan and a shared blueprint book for all the builds. By splitting tasks and pushing next science hard we did it in 6 hours!

So - playing Factorio with no mods is possible and fun when trying for achievements....

But - playing with mods is in my humble opinion more fun.
I like BIG builds and thus need my basic helper mods: Afraid of the Dark, Big Brother, Bottleneck (a must for all), Far Reach, Max Rate Calculator, Squeak Through and Zoom
This is my default minimum list of mods and I add to this as I see the need.

If you are anti-mod (great - not sure why you are here?) I would still recommend using Bottleneck unless you are going for achievements. If you are new to the game the mod helps showing machines that are not working, not optimally set up or stopped (miner with no ore). I still mess up builds after hundred of hours building and would most likely miss it without this mod.

Done a quick biter map to check out the new oil change.. (think I like it - makes sense, but one more belt in bus).
Only new mod on this run is:
Fill4Me - Auto-load turret with preset amount of ammo. A must with biters on the map.

I keep going back to check for cool mods or things thy might fit my next plan.

Have fun playing
/old dude

Return to “General discussion”