What mods are you using - and why?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

What mods are you using - and why?

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Hi fellow factory workers...

I'm on my second mega-build (only counting successful builds), doubling my last build, and now aiming for 4800 sppm, this time with robots everywhere (belt based last time).
Now, on some level I'm vanilla Factorio, but see that I use a lot of utility and helper mods - and was wondering what other players use and why...

Here is my list as of 0.17.21 (yeah.. 17.24 is out, but have not logged out of the game yet :ugeek: ) :
  • AfraidOfTheDark - Just more light at night - because I don't like the dark...
  • Big_Brother - Just more effective radars.. got tired of placing them everywhere to see.
  • Bottleneck - This I just from day one. Need to see status on all things. Very helpful to find problem in production
  • FNEI - Think KoS used it in her new megacity video. Very nice to check what is used where
  • Logistic Train Network - First time with LTN, but so far I really like it. MegaBase not up and running yet so we will see...
  • LTN Tracker - Shows info about Logistic Train Network in a very nice GUI. A must with LTN!
  • MaxRateCalculator - This is a must for all who want's to build a balanced base. Very good now that things have changed and I need to verify all blueprints
  • Nanobots - OK - I admit it - I use em! Lot's of Termite bot use in the start, but still use the nanobots on big builds to help my robots
  • Noxys_Waterfill - Jupp, megacheat. But when I build big I just can't be bothered piping water from miles away. Done by train in 0.16 and that sucks
  • PowerArmorMK3 - Who doesn't want bigger, better and badder armor with more inventory space? I certainly do!
  • SqueakThrough - First try in 0.17 and I'm now so slim that I can walk between solar panels and pass through pipes! Does have a tree issue I don't like
  • WaterWell - Alternative to Waterfill. Same as Landfill, but makes water. Like this a lot!
  • Zoom - First time use and I LOVE IT! Finally I can zoom out far enough to place my blueprint AND see where it goes. Also very nice with far-reach
  • beautiful_bridge_railway - Railway over water... Yes - why not? Makes sense and I finally can use some wood. Got millions and millions of trees
  • far-reach - Your active click-range is greatly increased to as far as you can see (not true with Zoom as you can see very, very far)

That's it so far for my 0.17 build. I will try more when 0.17 is final and stable and mods are caught up and also stable.
    I have not tried the really big once like Bob's or Angels, but will sometime in the future when my 0.17 base is up and stable.

Appreciate comments on mods and ideas for helpful mods.

/old dude
    :geek:
Last edited by Mmmmmmorten on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What mods are you using - and why?

Post by zOldBulldog »

I use just the basics:

- Bottleneck (to identify problems)
- Squeak Through (to not get stuck in stupid places)
- Progressive Running (to be able to make small steps when using armor legs, and still get full speed)
- Screeshot Camera (for the all-important screenshots of "just the right size")
- I used to use Zoom, but I have yet to feel the need in 0.17... I might re-add later.
- Miniloaders (because after researching and building all kinds of vanilla train stations and being satisfied that I could... I just don't want to waste the time and space doing it yet again)

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 pm
I use just the basics:

- Progressive Running (to be able to make small steps when using armor legs, and still get full speed)
- Miniloaders (because after researching and building all kinds of vanilla train stations and being satisfied that I could... I just don't want to waste the time and space doing it yet again)
Miniloaders is something I will look into more as they seem really, really, really good to have :)
Not been so focused on loading this time as I use bots and 12 chests with stack inserters load a wagon very fast anyway, but absolutely something I will look into.
Progressive Running I had never heard about and might check it out. Currently I just use the built in button (or Alt-E) to toggle exoskeleton on/off if needed - and that has worked so far... Really not that often I need the speed reduced.

But thanks for the input!

/old dude

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

Not using wind turbine as it is so powerful you might as well have free electricity, needs balancing a lot.
Besides I love designing nuclear power plants :)
Also not using teleportation.
Flare stack to give it the Blade Runner look and feel :D

Italian Cuisine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Italian Cuisine »

I poked through all the .lua files and tweaked some stuff for engineering focus:
  • Super long reach, so I can grab from faraway chests & remotely place stuff from the map view(can't open UIs or deconstruct, but oh well)
  • Increased radar range by quite a bit
  • Increased solar panel output
  • Always daytime
  • Cranked up ore density to insane levels
I really should look into making this an actual mod, so that updates don't break on the modified files. :?
It's not spaghetti!

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Italian Cuisine wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:17 pm
I poked through all the .lua files and tweaked some stuff for engineering focus:

I really should look into making this an actual mod, so that updates don't break on the modified files. :?
Ahh the quick fix that sooner or later will come and Biter you in the rear :(

Like your solar panel output idea... my current build as 250k solar panels out (stopped the solar train since I build panels and acc's in city mall and had use mats on mod 3's instead.. can't have both :cry: ) Most of my mega city circuit build, all oil (plastic, solid fuel, rocket fuel) is shut of by constant combinator at my city Mall. When I flip it to on my power goes up 5 GW (and that is when it's all idle) :shock: Got 3 x 8 and 1 x 6 nuke plants on top.. and still afraid to flip the switch that turns it all on... need more power (or a mod that turns all beacons into green environment friendly beacons of love that use no juice - all 25k of them so far).

So I have most of what you have done by coding from mods.. not the density part, but when I mine 500 M to 1,5 G sites I do not think it will matter for a long time.

/old dude

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

dognosh wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Not using wind turbine as it is so powerful you might as well have free electricity, needs balancing a lot.
Hey I think I would like more power without covering the map with solar panels... like I have with 250k of them.. ops.. 300k of them now... and as mentioned below 30 nuke plants - all 8 with steam storage..

Blueprint of the 8 reactor nuclear power plant that I got on forum and really like. This is with concrete and bricks, there is one without.

The big bags looks like something I could really use. Bit afraid to load to many mods as I see a lot of players have issues with mods as new updates for 0.17 are released. So as I mentioned before... think I will wait with stuff like Bob's etc.

/old dude

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Squeak Through should be self explanatory.

Production scrap (I do not remember exact name).

This gives little more variety to oversimple vanilla production tree. I have played much with Angel's & Bob's mods, which give much more complexity, but it takes several hundreds of hours to build nice production system and I have now not option to use so much free time for gaming.

Actually I think that something like this should be added in vanilla. Not for default settings but it would be excellent hardest recipe option. Now just amounts of ingredients change which do not change tree like production structure to more complex network. I do not see significant difference in changing numbers of assemblers.

Helmod

I build quite large system and need a reliable and practical tool to calculate numbers of assemblers and belts. Scrap mod and modules makes ratios non trivial.

I am now just starting large scale production and may add some mods later. Probably I have to make a mod for expanding cargo wagon capacity at some point, because I do not want to go toy like Factiorio-optimal rail traffic with crazy number of trains.

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 pm
dognosh wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Hey I think I would like more power without covering the map with solar panels... like I have with 250k of them.. ops.. 300k of them now... and as mentioned below 30 nuke plants - all 8 with steam storage..
Blueprint of the 8 reactor nuclear power plant that I got on forum and really like. This is with concrete and bricks, there is one without.

/old dude
If you're desperate then use wind turbine as it is probably made for super massive builds.
I am currently on ~8.5GW power station capability(1X4 and 2X26 power stations) so not using wind turbine for now.

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

p.s I use bob's logistics because the MK4 bot is faster and carries more, making it 5 times better at deliveries than the standard vanilla bot. This means you can use 5 times less bots to save a small amount of cpu/gpu cycle time :)

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

dognosh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:25 am
p.s I use bob's logistics because the MK4 bot is faster and carries more, making it 5 times better at deliveries than the standard vanilla bot. This means you can use 5 times less bots to save a small amount of cpu/gpu cycle time :)
Ohhhh - I had no idea!!!! :o

Now that would be very interesting for a guy building a bot based world with direct smelting at ore sites all done by bot's....
And since I'm new to using bots in this capacity I have no idea what I'm doing and just tossing robo-ports and logistic robots at the builds :roll:

Guess I will have to have a closer look at Bob's before 0.17 is stable release.
Been chewing my way through Robot speed 17 now for the last 4 days (I think). 2 million research cost is a LOT for my poor little starter base...

Thanks dognosh - this is just the kind of tip I hoped for with this post...

/old dude

Dragonmaster0283
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dragonmaster0283 »

Several of the same as listed above for the same reasons.

Squeakthru
Bottleneck
FNEI
Helmod
LTN

The Fat Controller: Easier to keep track of the trains.

Most of the Bobs Suite: Mainly for the updated machines. Not using the updated/modified recipes and techs. Its more to just access the MK3-MK5 stuff.

Rampant: Well If I'm better, gotta make the biters harder

YARM: Easier to see how my resource patches are coming along

Nixie Tubes: Easier then building full on counters with lights

Robot World: Start the game being able to make logistic stuff.

Bulk Rail Loaders: I prefer them to the standard station chest layout. Loads/Unloads pretty fast and provides decent storage

Air Filtration: Able to design a production chain to scrub the air and clean up polution

Reverse Factory: Mainly use just to get rid of the junk/old items instead of putting them in a chest and shooting it.

Factorissmo: Great for the smelter groups in a single building :P

Angel's Warehouses: Big chests, whats not to love.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

Dragonmaster0283 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Several of the same as listed above for the same reasons.

The Fat Controller: Easier to keep track of the trains.
Most of the Bobs Suite: Mainly for the updated machines. Not using the updated/modified recipes and techs. Its more to just access the MK3-MK5 stuff.
Rampant: Well If I'm better, gotta make the biters harder
YARM: Easier to see how my resource patches are coming along
Nixie Tubes: Easier then building full on counters with lights
Robot World: Start the game being able to make logistic stuff.
Bulk Rail Loaders: I prefer them to the standard station chest layout. Loads/Unloads pretty fast and provides decent storage
Air Filtration: Able to design a production chain to scrub the air and clean up polution
Reverse Factory: Mainly use just to get rid of the junk/old items instead of putting them in a chest and shooting it.
Factorissmo: Great for the smelter groups in a single building :P
Angel's Warehouses: Big chests, whats not to love.
Darn man... that is a lot of mods :o
Fat controller I guess is alternative to LTN that I started with this build, and Robot world is alternative to Nanobots that I use...
Got HUGE resources so do not need YARM - but nice mod I had not heard about.
Nixi Tubes - fun.. might load it when I start shooting off more rockets... 9 extra silos should get a counter moving..
Like the Bulk rail loaders.. right now all my bots load plate directly into requester chests that load (dual) onto trains.. but that thing make sense!
Air Filtration - right nice item had it before - don't have biters or pollution this time - just building...
Had Reverse Factory - as it seemed a good idea - but never used it.. so it got booted.
Had another look at Factorissimo2. My brother had that in 0.16 build, but for some reason I do not like it.. I like to see my huge builds when I zoom out in map mode. Might just be me?
Now Angel's Warehouse - WOW!!! I started this discussion stating that I would wait with BOB and Angel's until stable 0.17 - I might have to eat my own words - as those chests are HUGE! (and who doesn't like a big chests?)
I really have to think about this one.. Not sure about the footprint of them (6x6) is large - and this might be hard to fit into completed builds...

Well, thank's Dragonmaster - certainly gave me something (more) to think about in Factorio land...

/old dude

Dragonmaster0283
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dragonmaster0283 »

Nps, I really havent had any issues with bob's for 0.17. Done a few full games so far with it and had no issues. Granted I haven't done a full fledged bobs with the recipe and tech/science changes yet. Current game is a Biter Warfare round as I've up'ed the biters difficulty thru rampant and quadrupled the tech costs to slow my advancement. I do have several other mods I run as well (about 30 in all) but its mostly UI/Info changes.

I mainly just use factorismo for my smelting blocks since those always tend to take up the most space. Also at times just use it for storage as well. Nothing like ploping down some warehouses in one and store a million iron plates and use circuits with the nixie tube to tell me how many are in there.

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

OK - I added a couple of mods today...
Advanced Electric High Resolution
This is considered a reasonable upgrade and natural progress for Factorio.. Retooled my mall to make Advanced version solar and accumulators and changed my solar train to ship the advanced stuff and return with the normal vanilla for upgrade. 10 x power on same footprint but at a normal cost <thumbs-up>

Infinite Worker Robot Capacity Research
Now this is something I actually consider cheating :roll:
But also something that has irritated me that was not part of the game as standard. While it does boggle the mind how a logistic robot can carry 3 x Rocket Silos inside the cargo space, I still would have liked it to be researchable on par with robot speed.

So far I got robot cargo capacity to +10 (for less than 30k lab cost, think this is way to cheap) - and I will stop there for now.
This should save a lot of robots and speed up all my production, train loading / unloading etc....

/old dude
Wondering whether there is a Facebook group for us with mod addictions?

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

Don't ignore Text Plates, it is very handy, especially when like me you're 50+, absent minded and smell of wee :D

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

dognosh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:32 pm
Don't ignore Text Plates, it is very handy, especially when like me you're 50+, absent minded and smell of wee :D
Dang, that is nice!

I've been using map mode an tag's for all that :roll:
And I see on the mod's forum page that is looks nice on grass too (great on concrete / bricks).
Jupp - gonna get me some text plates!

Thanks dognosh!

/old dude

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

dognosh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:32 pm
Don't ignore Text Plates
Constant combinators with letter signals do it for me, you can give them 0 values so they show up on the display but don't clutter the wire.

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dognosh »

Mmmmmmorten wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 pm
Infinite Worker Robot Capacity Research
Now this is something I actually consider cheating :roll:
But also something that has irritated me that was not part of the game as standard. While it does boggle the mind how a logistic robot can carry 3 x Rocket Silos inside the cargo space, I still would have liked it to be researchable on par with robot speed.

So far I got robot cargo capacity to +10 (for less than 30k lab cost, think this is way to cheap) - and I will stop there for now.
This should save a lot of robots and speed up all my production, train loading / unloading etc....

/old dude
Wondering whether there is a Facebook group for us with mod addictions?
Robot capacity and speed research goes to infinity in vanilla :)

Mmmmmmorten
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mmmmmmorten »

dognosh wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:40 am
Robot capacity and speed research goes to infinity in vanilla :)
You sure about that? I could never find it - and believe me - I LOOKED! :shock:

Only thing (non military) that has infinity in vanilla 0.17.x as far as I could find is :
  • Worker robot speed (almost done with 17 at 2 mill cost!), and
  • Mining Productivity (57 next for 135k cost).
Never found anything about Robot capacity above the +3 I had...

/old dude

Return to “General discussion”