Topics and discussion about specific mods
wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Miniloader

Post by wvlad »

Therax wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 am
Miniloaders are based on inserters and inserters are limited to 60 items/s when pulling from belts. Any belts faster than 60 items/s are going to see some strange behavior.
Then why it's unloading initially from the duplicating chest with full compression?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

wvlad wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Therax wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 am
Miniloaders are based on inserters and inserters are limited to 60 items/s when pulling from belts. Any belts faster than 60 items/s are going to see some strange behavior.
Then why it's unloading initially from the duplicating chest with full compression?
Like Therax said Miniloader use very fast inserters. That means they have to chase items on belts and can't take items from belts as fast as they can put them on.
It just so happens that a 75 item/s belt is where inserters can put down a compressed belt but no longer pick it up.

2019-03-16-13-51-40-6000112.png
2019-03-16-13-51-40-6000112.png (588.79 KiB) Viewed 5076 times

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

Miniloaders at "Ultra fast" and faster speeds use vanilla loader entities in addition to inserters, giving a max throughput of ~180 items/second when interacting with chests and other containers
Looks like this feature sometimes doesn't work in my example (even with belt-chest-belt).

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Optera wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:39 am
Don't nail me down on the 5s. I got rid of a mod adding a super mining tool. Being used to mine everything almost instantly, my perception is a bit skewed.

However it doesn't change that miniloaders take 10 times longer to pick up than belts. 1s vs 0.1s.
For comparison refineries mine in 0.2 and nuclear reactors in 0.5. There's no reason for a loader taking twice as long as a reactor to pick up.
Still sounds like a problem with your mining tool mod. Miniloaders should take as long as 2 belts if it were scaling everything together. Mind dropping a link so I can test?

EDIT: never mind, I misunderstood. I hadn’t realized that mining times had changed because of the elimination of mining tools. I’ll reduce mining time in the next release.
Last edited by Therax on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Optera wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm
Like Therax said Miniloader use very fast inserters. That means they have to chase items on belts and can't take items from belts as fast as they can put them on.
Just to clarify, it’s not so much the chasing. It’s that every inserter picking up from a belt segment selects an item to chase and pick up at the start of each tick. So adding more inserters and increasing inserter speed still hits this fundamental limit of 1 item targeted per tick.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

Therax wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 pm
Just to clarify, it’s not so much the chasing. It’s that every inserter picking up from a belt segment selects an item to chase and pick up at the start of each tick. So adding more inserters and increasing inserter speed still hits this fundamental limit of 1 item targeted per tick.
I thought the mod uses 2 inserters (1 per belt lane) therefore the total throughput should be 60x2=120 items/s

Guilty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilty »

wvlad wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:52 pm
Therax wrote:
I thought the mod uses 2 inserters (1 per belt lane) therefore the total throughput should be 60x2=120 items/s
I was under the same impression...

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Guilty wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 pm
wvlad wrote:
Therax wrote:

The key phrase is “every inserter.” It doesn’t matter if you have 100 inserters, they all select the same item at the start of a tick, and only one of them can succeed in picking it up. The next tick the other 99 repeat the process.
Here’s the bug I posted.

Guilty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilty »

Therax wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 am
Guilty wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 pm
wvlad wrote:
Therax wrote:

The key phrase is “every inserter.” It doesn’t matter if you have 100 inserters, they all select the same item at the start of a tick, and only one of them can succeed in picking it up. The next tick the other 99 repeat the process.
Here’s the bug I posted.

I guess there's nothing to be done. Miniloader is very fast as is for vanilla belts I suppose.

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

He could make a "long" miniloader for ultimate belts that would work on two belt pieces at the same time. Then the limit would be 120 items/s.
But i would rather they added more belt specific LUA stuff so one could control items on belts directly through LUA without the need of inserters.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Cadde wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am
He could make a "long" miniloader for ultimate belts that would work on two belt pieces at the same time. Then the limit would be 120 items/s.
But i would rather they added more belt specific LUA stuff so one could control items on belts directly through LUA without the need of inserters.
You can control items on belts through lua. And performance of this was more then 10 times worse then inserters AFAIK. There is simply no way you can match inserter performance. Even actual loaders are less performant.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I should have said it a long time ago, but better late than never. Thank you Therax for such a great and simple mod. It made my train loads and unloads so much simpler and cleaner.

It was fun to figure out all the vanilla ways of doing train stations, but it eventually got old and space-wasteful. Now your mod (and a few in-line buffer chests) is all I use for them. I can't see myself ever going back.

BTW... also thanks for already having released the version for 0.17.

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

orzelek wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm
You can control items on belts through lua. And performance of this was more then 10 times worse then inserters AFAIK. There is simply no way you can match inserter performance. Even actual loaders are less performant.
Well OK then, what i meant to say was "Do it efficiently". ;)

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Sadly, 0.17.23 (and the latest Bob's updates) breaks the turbo/ultimate miniloaders.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1698744818

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

0.17.23 changed some requirements on technology naming, and Bob’s had to change his mods to respect that. If you don’t want to wait for the next official release, there is a workaround available:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/miniloade ... 000b9961f4
Last edited by Therax on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

That worked. I'm totally shocked! Not that it worked, but that I did the edit correctly.

Thanks!

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

On my current map I would like change a large number of old loaders (they are size 1x1) into miniloaders via a migration mod. This is the code I wrote so far:

Code: Select all

local function replace_entities(old_name, new_name)
  local s = game.players[1].surface -- only for myself in single player
  for chunk in s.get_chunks() do
      local entities = s.find_entities_filtered{name=old_name, area={{chunk.x*32, chunk.y*32}, {(chunk.x+1)*32, (chunk.y+1)*32}}}
      for _, entity in pairs(entities) do
          local position = entity.position
          entity.destroy()
          local new_entity = s.create_entity{name=new_name, position=position, force=game.players[1].force}
      end
  end
end
It works for replacing simple entities. But miniloaders consist of multiple entities and have an orientation. Any help on getting this to work is appreciated.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

eduran wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:39 am
It works for replacing simple entities. But miniloaders consist of multiple entities and have an orientation. Any help on getting this to work is appreciated.
You probably don't need to walk over the surface chunk by chunk. A single call should suffice:

local entities = game.surfaces.nauvis.find_entities_filtered{name=old_name}
You'll want to raise on_built_entity after each call to create_entity, providing all of the proper options for the new entity. I don't know what old loaders you are using, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how to correctly extract orientation from them. As long as you get the direction correct, I hope that Miniloader's snapping logic would take care of most of your cases, but I'd advise checking things over after you run your script.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

Thank you, I think I am almost there now:

local function replace_entities(old_name, new_name)

local surf = game.surfaces.nauvis
  local entities = surf.find_entities_filtered{ name = old_name }
  for _, entity in pairs(entities) do
    local position = entity.position
    local direction = entity.direction
    entity.destroy()

local new_entity = surf.create_entity{name = new_name, position = position, direction = direction, force = game.players[1].force}
    script.raise_event(defines.events.on_built_entity, {created_entity = new_entity, player_index = 1, stack = nil})
  end
end
Old loaders are the ones from Deadlock Stacking & Beltboxes. replace_entities is called like so for yellow loaders:

replace_entities("transport-belt-loader", "miniloader-inserter")
It does properly replace all loaders with functional miniloaders. However, passing direction on its own does not work quite right. Half of the miniloaders are facing backwards and all of them have belts going in the wrong direction.
before.jpg
before.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 4788 times
after.png
after.png (709.65 KiB) Viewed 4788 times
Is this something that is fixable in my code or do I need to do it manually?

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

That seems like a snapping bug. Do you have the snapping setting turned on?

Return to “Mods”