Roboport like a Provider/Requester chest for bots/tools

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Roboport like a Provider/Requester chest for bots/tools

Post by Tekillaa »

TL;DR
Roboport acting like a provider/requester chest

What ?
Have the same option as a provider/requester chest for tools and bots of each type and have the information output with letters signal of what is in it, in addition of those already available for total/available in the logistic area.
Why ?
In game :
- Deal with where bot are in a logistic area, how many (better gestion of population/repartition)
- allow a good distribution of repair tool via logistic chest or directly via the roboport
- Possibility to evacuate all bot from 1 roboport in a logistic area (for mining field, out post etc)
- Definitly more tools for the player (logic output)
- (it's my point of view) I don't think it change the deep core of the game, the player can play with it or not like circuitry. It's just about adding the same feature as a buffer chest to a bot container,, fill an empty space where there is not supposed to be, sounds logic to me (easy to code i guess). The chain of logistic is complete with that idea, no more impression to deal with a puzzle with missing pieces.

Actual issues (for my pov):
- Bot have to make a task to make a travel, so for one direction supply, we are block for the come back without a task (so i make stupid logistic request in front of my chest to deal with my bots)
- bot have unexpected behaviour with chest requesting repair kit near from it (not ups efficient at all and energy drain in game)
Some history:

I try to have a full vanilla experience,i feels like hurting a wall for some reason when i try to organize some little things :

"I recently learned that the roboport act as provider, but there is like a gap in the logic for me.With all the actual system, if the Roboport act as provider, so it's like a chest? why i cant have the info, or the option like the logistic chest available? i mean like available bots in a specific roboports and the tools in it and also have like a request for bot parking, like the requesting line on the blue chest? I try to figure it out all that things work, but some path in the "logic flow chart" are like missing for me"

was my post in help for gameplay trying to find out what i was missing. To my point of view, the game need those options to be more intuitive in terms of a gestion of logistic area. And i hope it's easy to add the feature

related post :

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67659 (where i try to deal with logistic area problem n1)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68013 (where i try to deal with logistic area problem n2, so it's not a bug, but incomplete feature for me)

If you want to let your opinion about that, be my guest.

Edit : i change a bit the subject of the post because of my game experience, and a wrong bug report who have allow me to see clearly what is going on and what i need to have a good factorio experience, and i dont want to make many post for the finally the same idea, i go deeper in the idea here.

ps: sorry for my english, i hope i was clear, ty to the staff for this awesome game
Last edited by Tekillaa on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:35 am, edited 17 times in total.
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.17 Have a way to desactivate Roboport as provider of repair tool

Post by bobucles »

You mean THIS?
provider port.jpg
provider port.jpg (187.7 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
I can see how it would be annoying. Especially if the requester's job is to keep the roboport filled.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Exactly, i didn't remember having this issue in 0.16 (Edit : wrong!!! i was too much a noob to observe it)
Last edited by Tekillaa on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

So i'm the only one disturb by this? no one have solution to prevent bot from makin loop with tools?

Behaviour when im under attack with tools in green/blue chest :

little attack : the construction bot take the tools, time to repair, a request is send from the chest, the repair is made, the new tool come in the chest, everything ok

Big attack : many construction bot take tools, make repair, and go back to roboport, many tools request are make from the chest, but the roboport got some tools left from the previous repair, so the logistic take the tool from the roboport, put it back in the chest, so after each little repair, the construction bot got to go to the chest, and a logistic bot make an action "tool roboport ->chest" supposing never happen, that is terribly wrong...

Darkehart
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 0.17 Roboport Provider/Requester

Post by Darkehart »

Use a Buffer Chest instead. Roboports function like Storage Chests so a Requestor Chest will take from them, but a Buffer Chest will ask for items from a Provider Chest instead.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Darkehart wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:47 pm
Use a Buffer Chest instead. Roboports function like Storage Chests so a Requestor Chest will take from them, but a Buffer Chest will ask for items from a Provider Chest instead.
nop, got the same pb, the request from the buffer chest will have the same result in case of big attack, it doesn't change a thing -> logistic bot will take remaining tools from the roboport to fill the chest. the first intention is to make stop logistic bot take tools from the roboport supposed to be supply first.
but if the roboport act as requester of tools, the loop is break, and all goes right.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

So the only solution to make repair tool's distribution in different location in the same logistic area is belt or train??!!! in a logistic area?????

Feels like the bots try to rip off me with the repair bill..

gaucho_tche
Inserter
Inserter

Re: 0.17 Roboport like a Provider/Requester chest

Post by gaucho_tche »

there's a mod which do it: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BotRecaller

but I seriously believe it's something that should be builtin.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 0.17 Roboport like a Provider/Requester chest

Post by Tekillaa »

gaucho_tche wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 pm
there's a mod which do it: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BotRecaller

but I seriously believe it's something that should be builtin.
Thank you to show me ! :) but the mod don't do all my expectations, mostly info output from a roboport for each bots/tools in it. And i continue to believe it got to be in vanilla (like you) to have a complete logistic system who works properly and intuitive for player.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Roboport like a Provider/Requester chest for bots/tools

Post by Tekillaa »

Another idea from the same family,

on map view, with logistic view, more there is construction bot in the roboport, darker in the green area of that roboport, and the same for the orange area about logistic bot.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”