[Twinsen][0.17.17]Power pole not placed on ghost while holding LMB.

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
uchiki
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Twinsen][0.17.17]Power pole not placed on ghost while holding LMB.

Post by uchiki »

When building a power pole while holding mouse down, it is not placed on the ghost of the pole.

This bug is from 0.17.16.

ruy16109
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.17]Power pole not placed on ghost while holding LMB.

Post by ruy16109 »

afaik, if you hold down LMB (without shift) with power poles on hand, it does not recognize ghosts at all, and would try to place poles most optimally(regardless of whether the chosen locations are already taken by ghosts).

(EDIT: didn't finish my words)

So in this case, I think this post is more of a change-of-behavior request than a bug report.

lvllord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lvllord »

It did at least with older 17.x versions. When there was a power pole (at least the same kind), it placed it there, where the blueprint had one.
So when there are power poles 3 cells apart, you can quick replace these ghosts just running over them with pressed LMB.

BUT (what might be the real issue noted and which might be a change) ghost poles/items won't be used into the coverage detection.
So when the poles you place are out of the range of each other, but there are ghosted power present which would extend the power reach, a new power pole will be placed at the normal maximum distance. And here it doesn't matter if other ghosted items are there. This will result in power poles placed in between existing ghost poles and possible over ghosted items.

The first part with power poles on ghost ones should (still) work from my view. The other (taking other ghosted power poles into account), would be a new feature. Placing over ghosted, other items shouldn't be changed.

Perhaps adding a general ghost replace feature would help for this and other ghost placing things. When you replace a ghost item with the correct item and the LMB is not released, only ghosted items should be replaced which match the current item in hand. Same would be with other things (like solar arrays which are often mixed with accumulators). So you could just ghost the items from a blueprint and run from side to side to place the items.
When an item is placed beside of a ghost or you use an existing item as a start point, other ghosts will be replaced.

This way you are possible to easier place ghosted items and still have the possibility to override the ghost because of an emergency (back to topic, like power loss)

Sorry for the long post. Just got the idea during writing the short upper part ...

lvllord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lvllord »

Ok, I just tested it.
The "place a powerpole over a ghost" feature was there in 0.17.15. Since 0.17.16 this feature does not work anymore.
So I would definitely say it is a bug (or removal of a new 0.17 feature).
0.17.15:

0.17.16:

Edit:
Noted also in the release notes that there was a fix. But this actually made is worse ...
See: viewtopic.php?t=68083
Attachments
aF2MbnN00N.mp4
(761.15 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
BCNBC2Zccq.mp4
(469.29 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen][0.17.17]Power pole not placed on ghost while holding LMB.

Post by Twinsen »

The feature didn't really work correctly. See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68083

0.17.16 tried to fix the issue mentioned there by disabling fast reviving.
Since it was requested 2 times again, I brought back fast reviving and hopefully fixed the issues with it.

Changed in Version: 0.17.18.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Does that mean that we are back to square 1? Will it revive poles and add extra ones, like described here: 68083? Or is the behaviour something else?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

68083 should still be fixed.

Dominiquini
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dominiquini »

lvllord wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:36 am
Perhaps adding a general ghost replace feature would help for this and other ghost placing things. When you replace a ghost item with the correct item and the LMB is not released, only ghosted items should be replaced which match the current item in hand. Same would be with other things (like solar arrays which are often mixed with accumulators). So you could just ghost the items from a blueprint and run from side to side to place the items.
When an item is placed beside of a ghost or you use an existing item as a start point, other ghosts will be replaced.
I think this feature should work for other items too!

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”