Temporary Stations = Manual train mode

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gaucho_tche
Inserter
Inserter

Temporary Stations = Manual train mode

Post by gaucho_tche »

I couldn't find a single person who wouldn't prefer that the temporary train station would put train in manual mode once reached!

Developers please change this!

thanks

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Temporary Stations = Manual train mode

Post by Ojelle »

Yes please!
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

gaucho_tche
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gaucho_tche »

is it going to happen???

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

gaucho_tche wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 pm
I couldn't find a single person who wouldn't prefer that the temporary train station would put train in manual mode once reached!
That really depends on what train you use to take you to the temporary stop, and where that stop is located.

If the stop is on the mainline, then I want to move the train somewhere else fairly soon, so it isn't blocking the mainline too long. Leaving the train in automated mode, does that fairly well, as long as the train can find a path to it's next stop. If the train finishes in manual mode, then I need to either switch it to auto mode, or manually move it somewhere else.

If I have used a construction train, then I'm probably happy with it staying at the temporary stop, provided it isn't block the mainline, or too many other trains. In which case I can either switch it too manual on arrival, or add another condition to its departure conditions whilst it is en-route. But if I borrowed an automated train then I probably want it to go back to it's automated route.

Maybe the best solution is a compromise. If the train is in manual mode when you control-click to create a temp station, then the train temporarily switches to auto mode, drives to the temp station, then switches back to manual mode. If the train was in auto mode, then it stays in auto mode when it arrives.

gaucho_tche
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gaucho_tche »

I find the best solution to put an option in the settings menu.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

gaucho_tche wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:29 am
The option would be cumbersome to use as you might need to toggle it for every other train.
Zavian wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:06 am
Maybe the best solution is a compromise. If the train is in manual mode when you control-click to create a temp station, then the train temporarily switches to auto mode, drives to the temp station, then switches back to manual mode. If the train was in auto mode, then it stays in auto mode when it arrives.
I agree.

gaucho_tche
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gaucho_tche »

Nidan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:54 pm
gaucho_tche wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:29 am
The option would be cumbersome to use as you might need to toggle it for every other train.
Zavian wrote:
I agree.
Thats good also

Hadramal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hadramal »

Zavian wrote:
gaucho_tche wrote:
That really depends on what train you use to take you to the temporary stop, and where that stop is located.

That is absolutely the best solution, and the expected behaviour when I tried it the first time. I was quite surprised when my personal train suddenly drove off, stranding me deep in the wilderness.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

I would also love to see this implemented. Alternatively, make the wait condition at temporary stations configurable.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

You mean make the *default* wait condition at temporary stations configurable? That would be nice but I don't know where in the GUI it would go. The compromise sounds much more feasible and intuitive.

Fun thing though, you can change the temporary conditions all you want, even queue multiple temporary stops and move them around in the schedule.

Edit: Words.
Last edited by robot256 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

robot256 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:19 pm
You mean make the *default* wait condition at temporary stations configurable?
Yes, that is what I meant. Changing it manually every time gets tedious. Admittedly, I have no idea how it could be included in the UI. And switching to manual on arrival would work just as well.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

What if the train returned to manual mode only if it was manual before you set the temporary stop?

There are reasons for wanting either manual or automatic, so I don't think switching from one assumption to the other is much of an improvement. But the state unchanged seems like it would have a greater chance of matching player intent.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

ManaUser wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 pm
What if the train returned to manual mode only if it was manual before you set the temporary stop?
is exactly what Zavian suggested above!
Zavian wrote:
Sounds like we've arrived at a behavior intuitive enough to suggest to the devs, if they haven't thought of it already.

Hadramal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hadramal »

I would like to bump this since I just AGAIN was left alone because I forgot to remove the temp station when using the functionality with my personal train that's normally always in manual mode.

It's a great, great feature, one of many in 0.17 but I think it would be even better if the train remembered the state it was in when the temp station was added, or defaulted to stay in manual mode when it arrived.

BaggyK
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BaggyK »

I would agree, with a slight expansion. If the train is in automatic when an temporary station is added, the condition should depend on if a passenger is present.
If a passenger is present the condition should be no passenger present.
If no passenger is present the condition should be passenger present.

This is because most of the time if you are adding a temporary station to a running train you are either calling a train to you in which case you want the train to wait for you to get on, so the condition should be wait until a passenger is present. Or you are wanting the train to take you somewhere in which case you want the train to wait for you to get off.

sowieso
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sowieso »

Please add this feature on your polish-for-1.0 list.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Zavian wrote:
Yes, this!

manual -> control-click -> goes to station -> manual (no 5-second pause)

auto -> control-click -> goes to station -> auto (with 5-second pause; maybe configurable in settings)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

gaucho_tche wrote:

In my eyes as moderator I don’t see that there isn’t “a single person”. There are quite mixed opinions about this topic and many dozens of postings around how the train should behave here.

What can be said instead is, that this leads to a lot of controversy. Because non of the solutions are perfect and only support a special play style.

And a quick fix would be to have some kind of configuration to enable the player to select what a train should do afterwards. And one of that option should be this one.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:01 am
gaucho_tche wrote:

In my eyes as moderator I don’t see that there isn’t “a single person”. There are quite mixed opinions about this topic and many dozens of postings around how the train should behave here.

What can be said instead is, that this leads to a lot of controversy. Because non of the solutions are perfect and only support a special play style.

And a quick fix would be to have some kind of configuration to enable the player to select what a train should do afterwards. And one of that option should be this one.
+1 for adding a configuration option.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I don't think a new setting is the right solution. I want something that I can control on a train by train / situation by situation basis.

Personally most of the time I'm using my personal construction train, and if I control click a destination, I want the train to stop and wait there. (Plus on my current base, travelling to the borders from the central base takes 2-3 minutes even with rocket fuel, so I often want to send the train there, then go get a drink or some food or take a toilet break whilst travelling). For that use case I'm typically travelling towards the border, which means I don't care about the train blocking the rail line, because there are no other trains using that section of track yet. (If I'm travelling to somewhere closer, I normally have a PAX station already setup, and hence I don't need to use a temporary station).

But occasionally I borrow a nearby train, simply because it is closer and more convenient than waiting for my construction train. In that case I typically want it to resume normal operations once I disembark.

(There is also a third possibility. Where I place a locomotive from my inventory, then send it to a temp stop. But in that case manual vs automatic doesn't matter, since the locomotive has no other stations, so I won't consider it further).

So personally I want to be able to use both options. Having to open the game settings to change that would be annoying. Having a train which starts in manual finish in manual would work, because I can set that just before placing the temp stop. The other option worth considering is adding a separate key combination to order a train to go to the temp stop and switch to manual/wait indefinitely. (Maybe control-shift click?)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”