Information about releases and roadmap.
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.17 & 0.18

Post by Oktokolo »

mrvn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 am
And yet, shouldn't there already be an alpha version for adventurous players to try out and for modders to test and fix their mods?
There are already multiple alphas out. The last one is 0.16, wich has been declared "stable" meaning that it will likely not crash or eat your saves.
It does not include the new features and upgrades that will come with the new (and surely experimental) 0.17 - but it is considered to be pretty good already and you can play it right right now.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Oktokolo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm
mrvn wrote:
And yet, shouldn't there already be an alpha version for adventurous players to try out and for modders to test and fix their mods?
There are already multiple alphas out. The last one is 0.16, wich has been declared "stable" meaning that it will likely not crash or eat your saves.
It does not include the new features and upgrades that will come with the new (and surely experimental) 0.17 - but it is considered to be pretty good already and you can play it right right now.
What do you think I've been playing for the last 2 years?

Xenomorph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenomorph »

mrvn wrote:
An alpha version of an alpha version? :roll:

If 0.17 isn't released I think they can change a lot of things which makes fixed mods for an older 0.17 unplayable an the modders waste a lot of time

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

mrvn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm
The very thing you're asking for. I've been playing it for 5 years. Though it wasn't always called 0.16, it was always the alpha build of unfinished software.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

mrvn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm
Oktokolo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm
mrvn wrote:
Sorry, sounded to me like you had just bought the game and not having any experience with the Factorio release cycle. Nice to know, that you did not really expected Wube to rush something...

krakovszki
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by krakovszki »

February 12+-1?
Please release them! My fingers is so tired since 3 day cause all day press F5 button with 50Hz... :mrgreen: :geek:

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by HammerPiano »

IIRC the team said they will annouce the release date in an FFF, so no need to spam F5 :)

lordaeron1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lordaeron1 »

HammerPiano wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:03 pm
IIRC the team said they will annouce the release date in an FFF, so no need to spam F5 :)
What do you mean they will announce it at FFF? they better Release it at this FFF. should have been released already -_-

Can't wait to lock up in the room for the weekend and play 0.17. (last major update people started to search for me lol)

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

lordaeron1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 pm
Can't wait to lock up in the room for the weekend and play 0.17. (last major update people started to search for me lol)
Just start a full Bob's and Angels' on a Deathworld and 0.17 should be near when reaching 1k SPM.

fur_and_whiskers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fur_and_whiskers »

I realise people are looking forward to 0.17, but I don't get the pressure being put on them to release ASAP or even the demand they should do it and do it soon. Its their game its their product and its up to them to say when its ready.

Albrat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Albrat »

fur_and_whiskers wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:39 am
I realise people are looking forward to 0.17, but I don't get the pressure being put on them to release ASAP or even the demand they should do it and do it soon. Its their game its their product and its up to them to say when its ready.
Exactly what I think about the release as well. They will release when it is ready. Though I would like it to release like 0.13 and 0.14 did... Experimental branch first.

Give the Mod Authors first access before normal users. This means that most mods can be updated.
I might also say a good suggestion is to have a "Mod Makers" registration, where mod authors submit their mods... Then they get early access to the next game patch, so they can adjusti mods if they wish to ahead of the official release. (I know alot of people complain about mods as much as they do about major patch versions.)

I would like to add a HUGE thank you to the Dev's and Team that are making Factorio such an awesome game for us to play. It is a pleasure to have been along for the journey you have provided us with. All the different versions and changes to the game across the years.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

Albrat wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
Give the Mod Authors first access before normal users.
I don’t play with mods why should I have to wait?

Draconis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Draconis »

So what you are saying is that Steam Network is implemented in the new update 0.17? ;)

fur_and_whiskers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fur_and_whiskers »

0.17 experimental has dropped!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65070

Albrat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Albrat »

Trebor wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:58 am
Albrat wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
Give the Mod Authors first access before normal users.
I don’t play with mods why should I have to wait?
I don't usually play with mods. But I think many of those who do would be happy that mods are updated as fast as they can be.
The mod authors would also be using an "experimental" build that is not guaranteed to even work. just check if their mods will still "work" in the new version.

When you get a pre-release experimental version (or alpha) you are helping the devs to problem solve and if you happen to be a mod author at the same time... you just happen to update your mod to be compatible with the next version. (my meaning is to use the mod authors as alpha testers, so they can update mods and find bugs that might be missed by the devs or not appear on their machine setups.)

There are many games out there that i had access to before most gamers... just because I might have been part of the alpha testers or beta testers for those games. Everyone else had to wait 6 months. But my experience was that the game crashed after mission 2 and you could not progress beyond that point for 2 months. Would you want to get to 10 hours into your game and then have a game breaking bug that forces a restart and loss of save ? (plus not be annoyed about it as you are a alpha tester. You report the bug in a nice way that gives as much information to re-create the bug.)

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Where did the "in-game factopedia" go?

Marcel40625
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marcel40625 »

Whats about Perfomance improvements?

I mean u cant realy play the game in the long run with mods, because of the singlecore limitation ... even with an 5GHZ CPU

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Marcel40625 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm
Whats about Perfomance improvements?

I mean u cant realy play the game in the long run with mods, because of the singlecore limitation ... even with an 5GHZ CPU
Performance optimizations are an ongoing and neverending process.
If you are having problems with a specific save game, you can post your savegame here for us to take a look at.

Other than that, its not a priority in the final months before 1.0. We have had many years of performance improvements and we are generally happy with the current performance.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Marcel40625 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm
Have you ever run into performance problems personally?

I can tell you almost for certain that there will be little to no more threading, although optimizations aren't entirely out of the question (even though many of those have been done already).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Marcel40625
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marcel40625 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm
Have you ever run into performance problems personally?
Sure i did, last time played (i think on 18.03), with my friend on headless server with some basic mods:

- Better Power Armor Grid
- Big Bags
- Custom Inventory Size
- Logistic Train Network
- Miniloader
- Personal Roboport Mk3
- Power Armor Mk3
- Side Inserters
- Splatter Guard (no Train Damage)
- Storage Trank Mk2
- Vehicle Grid
- Realistic Electric Trains
- Mining Drill Mk2
- Stacking Beltboxes and Compact Loaders
- Train Tech
- Stainless Steel Wagon

and when the base gets bigger the UPS drops and drops. i must say im a train lover, this might be the problem, i love track networks

Return to “Releases”