[Mod 1.1] Power Armor MK3

Topics and discussion about specific mods
BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.17] Power Armor MK3

Post by BlackHat »

If you want to use the "FactorioExtended Plus-Equipment" mod, then why do you also want to use This mod?

At first glance they both do the same thing. Add Power Armor level 3 and upgraded equipment to go in it. (Shields, reactors, roboports, etc.)

So Why do you want to use both.

The main difference I see between them, is This mod also adds the ability to get Power Armor MK4.

The obvious solution is to use only ONE of the mods. Not both.

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.16] Power Armor MK3

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Skiper wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am
No the names a different yours says 'Power armor Mk3' and the other one just extended the defaults ones so 'Power armor 3'.

EDIT:
Ohh yes, he's Tech-Research gives some upgrades but i also see that your Armor is in his Effects on the research. So if i'm unlock from the 'FactorioExtended Plus-Equipment' Mod i also got your Armor with the same name that i mention. But still there is 2 research unlock and the second one is totally useless in that case.

Also see https://imgur.com/36SXPyS & https://imgur.com/cii2HyD
Yeah looks like the internal item name is the same as mine, so it's effectively overwriting my armor, but the research is named differently, so it isn't being overwritten. Best I could suggest would be to manually change the name of one of them in the mod files, it's a pitfall of having multiple mods that add basically the same thing.

Skiper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skiper »

BlackHat wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:50 am
If you want to use the "FactorioExtended Plus-Equipment" mod, then why do you also want to use This mod?

At first glance they both do the same thing. Add Power Armor level 3 and upgraded equipment to go in it. (Shields, reactors, roboports, etc.)

So Why do you want to use both.

The main difference I see between them, is This mod also adds the ability to get Power Armor MK4.

The obvious solution is to use only ONE of the mods. Not both.
Yeah i know that and that's also what i want to have the Mk4 but i wasn't sure if thats a big of deal. I thought maybe it would be possible that when you using both mods that hes mod decide to unlock only the Mk4 because it register that other ones already exist. But maybe it isn't simple or even not possible. That's why i wanna ask that because i don't know about it.
jimmy_1283 wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm
Yeah looks like the internal item name is the same as mine, so it's effectively overwriting my armor, but the research is named differently, so it isn't being overwritten. Best I could suggest would be to manually change the name of one of them in the mod files, it's a pitfall of having multiple mods that add basically the same thing.
Okay maybe i'm gonna try that.
Thanks anyways!

Mattia2510MC
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mattia2510MC »

In 0.17 they removed the armor durability. Could you remove the durability from the mod?

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Mattia2510MC wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 am
In 0.17 they removed the armor durability. Could you remove the durability from the mod?
Oh, didn't even notice that, it'll be done in the next patch, after the Satisfactory Alpha is over, lol.

FallenPaladin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FallenPaladin »

You guys just broke your mod...

- Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

ImageImage

Guilty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilty »

Yea... The latest update just broke it :(
https://i.imgur.com/YMKryIY.png

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

FallenPaladin wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 am
You guys just broke your mod...
Sorry about that, it's already fixed in the latest version.

Guilty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilty »

Awesome, mod working again :D

Btw why do we have a portable nuclear reactor?
Also the energy shield being 3x3 saddens me :(

csumpasd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by csumpasd »

Hi Jimmy,

the factorio modding page's download section is not working for me for some apparent reason, could you please post a direct link to the mod, or explain how to convert the github repo to a mod?

Thanks, csump

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Guilty wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:55 am
Awesome, mod working again :D

Btw why do we have a portable nuclear reactor?
Also the energy shield being 3x3 saddens me :(
The PNR is an early-ish alternative to fusion reactors, depending on which research you focus on of course, and is also 3x3 rather than 4x4; and the MK3 energy shield is MUCH stronger than the MK2, hence the size increase.
csumpasd wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm
Hi Jimmy,

the factorio modding page's download section is not working for me for some apparent reason, could you please post a direct link to the mod, or explain how to convert the github repo to a mod?

Thanks, csump
The DL is available directly from the OP, but I'll link it here regardless: https://mods.factorio.com/download/Powe ... 000cf6eaf3
If you have problems with that link too, just PM me and I'll see about uploading it somewhere else for you.

Murdersquish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Murdersquish »

I was looking at the mod on the portal and I see images for belt immunity and nightvision. Both of those are already in vanilla. What purpose does the versions in MK3 serve? More better? (Though not sure how more better you can get than "immunity" :D)

Guilty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilty »

jimmy_1283 wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:16 am
The PNR is an early-ish alternative to fusion reactors, depending on which research you focus on of course, and is also 3x3 rather than 4x4; and the MK3 energy shield is MUCH stronger than the MK2, hence the size increase.
Yeah, I can see why. Even though it takes more space the MK3 has 44.44 HP/square compared to the 37.5 HP/square of the MK2.
Any plans for a reactor MK2/3?

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

Murdersquish wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm
I was looking at the mod on the portal and I see images for belt immunity and nightvision. Both of those are already in vanilla. What purpose does the versions in MK3 serve? More better? (Though not sure how more better you can get than "immunity" :D)
Belt Immunity was only added in the base game in .17. So I imagine it could probably be dropped from the mod now.

The Night vision goggles added by this mod are an Improved version of Night Vision Goggles (Night Vision MK2) which look more like daylight and did not have the greenish tint of the stock Goggles.
You have to research the Stock Googles before you could research the MK2 version.

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Murdersquish wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:41 pm
Belt Immunity was only added in the base game in .17. So I imagine it could probably be dropped from the mod now.
Yeah I did a somewhat rushed release for 0.17 and didn't realize belt immunity was added, I'll remove my version in the next release.
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 am
Yeah, I can see why. Even though it takes more space the MK3 has 44.44 HP/square compared to the 37.5 HP/square of the MK2.
No plans at this time, the MK3 armor is already very strong with the extra grid slots; more powerful reactors would only free up more space, making them even more powerful, and I honestly think the MK4 armor is more than enough to make up the difference.
See below.
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:41 pm
The Night vision goggles added by this mod are an Improved version of Night Vision Goggles (Night Vision MK2) which look more like daylight and did not have the greenish tint of the stock Goggles.
You have to research the Stock Googles before you could research the MK2 version.
Pretty much correct, the original version of my MK2 night vision removed the green tint, but that was removed in vanilla a while ago. Now it's just extra bright with less color desaturation.
Last edited by jimmy_1283 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 am
You know what, I get asked often enough so there's obviously interest in the idea, If there's enough interest I'll consider it.
So Vote here to have your say, I'll check back in the next week to see how it goes, check all answers you think are relevant.

Straw poll concluded.
Last edited by jimmy_1283 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Redacted

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

So the newest version has gone live and I'm happy to announce we now have both German and traditional Chinese locales added to the mod via Github thanks to 'LeByom' and 'k98a' respectively. As mentioned in the patch notes I had to fill a few gaps and delete obsolete entries, so if there are any improvements that need to be made please let me know.

I'm also asking for feedback on the 'Shielded Singularity' power generator equipment, costs for both research and fabrication, is it too powerful or not powerful enough? General balance questions and the like. Keep in mind that it is intended as an end game item, and by the time you get it you're likely nigh invulnerable already.

Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dragony »

Since no one has given feedback to the shielded singularity so far, I decided to give some.

Although it is really a cool idea and the logical successor to the fusion energy, I'm afraid it is just an unneccessary addition due to the simple lack of demand.

Why would you need it? It gives 3MW of power and costs a fortune. I think every sane player just goes for the MK4 armor and inserts 5 fusion plants. Honestly... what do I want to put into 20x20 tiles? While there is the term of overkill, we can with no doubt say this armor has a overinvincibility of factor 10 at least.

Fun fact: While the shielded singularity needs 5 fusion plants, it actually generates less energy than the sum of them. 3MW < 5*750kW

So what now?

If there was a demand, it would have been cool. But since the MK4 has such a vast amount of space, there just is no demand for it. If there were no MK4, not even MK3, then it would have been a goal to go for, since you usually can only fit one fusion plant into MK2 if you dont want to waste precious space. I don't have a solution for this problem.

Maybe: If no demand can be created, then make it be the ultimate thing to have. Give it 100MW and make it an 8x8 item.
Last edited by Dragony on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Dragony wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 am
Since no one has given feedback to the shielded singularity so far, I decided to give some.

Although it is really a cool idea and the locigal successor to the fusion energy, I'm afraid it is just an unneccessary addition due to the simple lack of demand.

Why would you need it? It gives 3MW of power and costs a fortune. I think every sane planer just goes for the MK4 armor and inserts 5 fusion plants. Honestly... what do I want to put into 20x20 tiles? While there is the term of overkill, we can with no doubt say this armor has a over-invincibility of factor 10 at least.

Fun fact: While the shielded singularity needs 5 fusion plants, it actually generates less energy than the sum of them. 3MW < 5*750kW

So what now?

If there was a demand, it would have been cool. But since the MK4 has such a vast amount of space, there just is no demand for it. If there were no MK4, not even MK3, then it would have been a goal to go for, since you usually can only fit one fusion plant into MK2 if you dont want to waste precious space. I don't have a solution for this problem.

Maybe: If no demand can be created, then make it be the ultimate thing to have. Give it 100MW and make it an 8x8 item.
I tend to agree that it's more or less unnecessary, however there WAS some demand for it, both from the straw poll I posted a bit ago, and from the occasional PM.

And I know that it provides less energy than the sum of the fusion reactors used to make it, however it does provide 4x as much per slot used.

Regardless though, I have no idea why some people want 20x20 grids and fusion reactor MK5s and the like, I used to say quite often that the MK3 was more than we ever needed, let alone the addition of the shielded singularity. But the only feedback I ever get, until now of course, asks if/when I'm gonna add higher tiers of this or that, so here we are.

I might look at re-balancing sometime soon, perhaps make it slightly cheaper or slightly better, I might even do as you suggested and make it so broken you only ever need one in any armor.

Return to β€œMods”