Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.9

Post by nuhll »

Mike5000 wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:35 pm
nuhll wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 pm
The error is at the side of factorio, their CDN provider.
I'm in the US. Factorio's CDN routed me to a Linode in England.

So I tried again from a Linode in the US. Factorio's CDN routed me to a Linode in Germany.

Further research shows a round-robin between:
  • Frankfurt, Germany
  • Leeds, England
  • Los Angeles, California
  • New York, New York
So maybe the CDN layer is still to be implemented.
yeah thats like i thought (round robin). Thats also the servers i saw while pinging.

If they dont redirect the users to their nearest location, they could atleast let us choose where to download from. Like you can select in your profile your download location (like in steam). (or make a round robin per region, US, EU, ASIA)

In the end i dont care where i download from, as long as its working. But its pretty much like a dice roll between 10kbs and full speed, at every download i do from them (full game 1,2gb, updates and mods)

But i also had 50mbits from us at one time, so its not a static problem, anyway every time i had an EU server, i had near full speed. And never below 50mbits.

Im not on a 0815 100 user provider, telekom is the biggest in germany.

naed
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by naed »

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 pm

So I tried again from a Linode in the US. Factorio's CDN routed me to a Linode in Germany.

• Frankfurt, Germany
  • Leeds, England
  • New York, New York
yeah thats like i thought (round robin). Thats also the servers i saw while pinging.

If they dont redirect the users to their nearest location, they could atleast let us choose where to download from. Like you can select in your profile your download location (like in steam). (or make a round robin per region, US, EU, ASIA)

In the end i dont care where i download from, as long as its working. But its pretty much like a dice roll between 10kbs and full speed, at every download i do from them (full game 1,2gb, updates and mods)

But i also had 50mbits from us at one time, so its not a static problem, anyway every time i had an EU server, i had near full speed. And never below 50mbits.

An ISP being the biggest does not exclude them from having effed up protocols active.

as another statistic. i have not had anything below 40mbit from any of the download locations. So, perhaps there is something weird about your setup. It is at least worth having a look/ponder about :)

As for the devs not responding. you are aware it is the weekend right?

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

naed wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 pm

• Frankfurt, Germany
  • Leeds, England
  • New York, New York

An ISP being the biggest does not exclude them from having effed up protocols active.

as another statistic. i have not had anything below 40mbit from any of the download locations. So, perhaps there is something weird about your setup. It is at least worth having a look/ponder about :)

As for the devs not responding. you are aware it is the weekend right?
Look when i first posted this.

I dont say telekom or the transit betwen EU -> US is NOT the problem. I dont know. I dont care. :?

The problem is, that it would be logic to download from EU if you live in EU. That would also fix my problem. If the CDN cant decide on his own (normally thats the purpose of the whole thing btw) then it would be cool to set it up so you can choose where to download from. Like steam does.

naed
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by naed »

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 am
I dont say telekom or the transit betwen EU -> US is NOT the problem. I dont know. I dont care. :?
All that i am saying is that, when you take in to consideration that others are not having speed problems from those endpoints. Your specific connection might very well BE the actual problem. As i said. it does not hurt to ponder about it. It is not as if the ISP is going to bite your head off from contacting their customer support and asking them "why does there appear to be a restriction in place on a number of US based endpoints?"

You are more than welcome to stay fixed in your ways. That is your choice. All other people can do, is try and give you options. We cannot force you to start thinking about your situation/problem in a different way. That is all on you :)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

naed wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 am
All that i am saying is that, when you take in to consideration that others are not having speed problems from those endpoints. Your specific connection might very well BE the actual problem. As i said. it does not hurt to ponder about it. It is not as if the ISP is going to bite your head off from contacting their customer support and asking them "why does there appear to be a restriction in place on a number of US based endpoints?"

You are more than welcome to stay fixed in your ways. That is your choice. All other people can do, is try and give you options. We cannot force you to start thinking about your situation/problem in a different way. That is all on you :)
U clearly dont know how the customer service in germany works... :lol:

I call them and they like restart your router, thats it. :shock: :cry: Or technician for 100€/hour. What should they do? They wont change anything.

As they fugged up the routing to france (blizzard, wow) the whole thing had mio of users, and they didnt do anything.

Blizzard told us its telekoms fault.
Telekom told us its blizzards fault.
DE-CIX told us its blizzards and telekoms fault.

In the end the users wer fugged for years, then blizzard bought new servers in central europe. (or payd faster line?)

Also, i never had any problems downloading from US. Its just factorio.

Also im not complaining about not getting my full 100mbits, you dont need that for the file sizes were talking about. BUT (!!!) if even download mods with 10, 20 or 30kbs, were talking abotu HOURS (!!!).

Speedtests from us also show constantly over 40mbits.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Downloading the 0.17 releases in the browser took anywhere from 14 seconds to 45 minutes for me (germany, unitimedia). Which would be explained with having the EU server at one time and a horrible 100kib/s connection to some US server at other times. Network speeds seem to be quite substantially different from download to download.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

If the issue is DNS resolution to the correct server, there is a way we as users can resolve that at our end.

That would be editing the lmhosts.sam file located in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ on NT and later windows based computers. What your computer's DNS look-up does is first check lmhosts file on your system, then if that domain is not there it then goes by what is configured within your systems DNS setting. Within the lmhosts.sam file there are examples of how to set that up, and all that is needed is a standard asci editor. I strongly recommend making a back up of the lmhosts file prior to editing it.

This technique can also be set up to neutralize particularly intrusive domains with viruses and ads, by setting up a loop back to 127.0.0.1 (loopback to the computer that this file is located on); i.e. defining IntrusiveDomain.com to 127.0.0.1.

Hiladdar

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 pm
Downloading the 0.17 releases in the browser took anywhere from 14 seconds to 45 minutes for me (germany, unitimedia). Which would be explained with having the EU server at one time and a horrible 100kib/s connection to some US server at other times. Network speeds seem to be quite substantially different from download to download.
Yeah, that is exact the problem i had, but downloading 1,2gb with 100kb s takes longer then 45 min :P

You get a random location after "each click" (not always).

(I dont get what they have done)

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 pm
Nothing special, that's just normal DNS operation.
Each time your computer needs to look up an IP for dcdn.factorio.com it gets them in a random order and then picks the first one to connect to. (It would try the other ones in order if it failed to connect to the previous ones.)

Just did a test grabbing the 0.17.11 tarball form each of the 3 IPs (IPv4) that I currently get when resolving dcdc.factorio.com

Code: Select all

Query: curl -k -H "Host: dcdn.factorio.com" "https://${IP}/releases/factorio_alpha_x64_0.17.11.tar.xz?key=…&expires=…" -o /dev/null

Results:
139.162.147.142:
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 1122M  100 1122M    0     0  5897k      0  0:03:14  0:03:14 --:--:-- 5913k

172.104.146.221:
100 1122M  100 1122M    0     0  5899k      0  0:03:14  0:03:14 --:--:-- 5897k

212.71.254.238:
100 1122M  100 1122M    0     0  5909k      0  0:03:14  0:03:14 --:--:-- 5939k
Speed is consistent across all servers and matches what I'm paying my ISP for. (My ISP is 1&1 (resells Dt. Telekom for the "last mile"), southern Germany)

Thus the issue appears to be on your (or your ISPs) end. And Dt. Telekom is known for requiring an "Extrawurst" (in the form of money) to allow peering with them.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Probably also highly depends on time of day.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Nidan wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 am
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 pm
Nothing special, that's just normal DNS operation.
Each time your computer needs to look up an IP for dcdn.factorio.com it gets them in a random order and then picks the first one to connect to. (It would try the other ones in order if it failed to connect to the previous ones.)

Just did a test grabbing the 0.17.11 tarball form each of the 3 IPs (IPv4) that I currently get when resolving dcdc.factorio.com

Code: Select all

Query: curl -k -H "Host: dcdn.factorio.com" "https://${IP}/releases/factorio_alpha_x64_0.17.11.tar.xz?key=…&expires=…" -o /dev/null

Results:
139.162.147.142:
100 1122M  100 1122M    0     0  5897k      0  0:03:14  0:03:14 --:--:-- 5913k

172.104.146.221:
100 1122M  100 1122M    0     0  5899k      0  0:03:14  0:03:14 --:--:-- 5897k

212.71.254.238:
100 1122M  100 1122M    0     0  5909k      0  0:03:14  0:03:14 --:--:-- 5939k
Speed is consistent across all servers and matches what I'm paying my ISP for. (My ISP is 1&1 (resells Dt. Telekom for the "last mile"), southern Germany)

Thus the issue appears to be on your (or your ISPs) end. And Dt. Telekom is known for requiring an "Extrawurst" (in the form of money) to allow peering with them.
Its not "normal" a CDN is normal used to give the user a ip near their location to improve speed and responsivness. This round robin is just used to spread the load across different servers, which can work better, or worser. It probably also doenst count on the current load of the servers (so this is pretty useless in my eyes)

Ill try your script later.

edit: can you post the complete script? (i know i need to change key)

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Yeah normally a CDN is configured to serve different DNS responses depending on where the IP address asking is located, to help clients connect to nearby servers (sometimes referred to as "GeoDNS" or other silly names). There isn't really any specific definition of exactly what a "CDN" is, so nothing's really wrong with calling it that even if it's just load balancing different servers via round robin (it's still a network delivering content, after all), but it's not what people typically think of which is things like AWS/GCP/Azure/Cloudfront/Akamai/etc :)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

torne wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 pm
Yeah normally a CDN is configured to serve different DNS responses depending on where the IP address asking is located, to help clients connect to nearby servers (sometimes referred to as "GeoDNS" or other silly names). There isn't really any specific definition of exactly what a "CDN" is, so nothing's really wrong with calling it that even if it's just load balancing different servers via round robin (it's still a network delivering content, after all), but it's not what people typically think of which is things like AWS/GCP/Azure/Cloudfront/Akamai/etc :)
What ever. If you dont route the traffic around the actual load, then it might happen that some servers are slower and other are faster.

In the end, since the devs are not really answering/helping (im wondered why, normal they are very active) we can just guess what could be the problem.

I just know that sometimes updates (even mods) takes multiple hours or is blazing fast.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm
Its not "normal" a CDN is normal used to give the user a ip near their location to improve speed and responsivness. This round robin is just used to spread the load across different servers, which can work better, or worser. It probably also doenst count on the current load of the servers (so this is pretty useless in my eyes)

It certainly isn't best best load balancer, true, it also wasn't intended to be one, but it's the simplest one. Its usefulness lies in in the way it was intended to be used: automatic failover in case some of the servers die. Speed isn't tied to location but rather to how well connected both endpoints are; latency is but doesn't matter whether it takes a few hundred milliseconds more on a large download.

I had a for loop around that, but that was pointless since once the first download finished i had to generate a new key...
You could do something like "for IP in $(dig +short A dcdc.factorio.com) ; do curl … ; done", but you'll either have downloads interfering with each other or expired keys by the time the second download starts.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Nidan wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 pm
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm

It certainly isn't best best load balancer, true, it also wasn't intended to be one, but it's the simplest one. Its usefulness lies in in the way it was intended to be used: automatic failover in case some of the servers die. Speed isn't tied to location but rather to how well connected both endpoints are; latency is but doesn't matter whether it takes a few hundred milliseconds more on a large download.

I had a for loop around that, but that was pointless since once the first download finished i had to generate a new key...
You could do something like "for IP in $(dig +short A dcdc.factorio.com) ; do curl … ; done", but you'll either have downloads interfering with each other or expired keys by the time the second download starts.
Hm, if the devs would wake up, tehy could maybe give a sample file to load without key, so maybe we could find out what the porblem is (server, routing, my isp, their isp)

guegehri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by guegehri »

Minor Features

Added map editor support to delete items.

What is it pls? I still can't delete items/trees in the map editor?

Question was asked in 17.2
viewtopic.php?t=65873

Deleting items in the inventory works, I'm talking about items on the ground or trees on the map.
It was 'X' until 17.0.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Trees on the map aren't items.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to β€œReleases”